BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
lilthrift
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 i50

Tuning question

Can someone tell me if the RaceChip TB Ultimate BMW N63 / N63tu Gasoline is worth the $ and if so is it easy to install?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 03:08 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthrift
Can someone tell me if the RaceChip TB Ultimate BMW N63 / N63tu Gasoline is worth the $ and if so is it easy to install?

Thanks!
As of now, not yet. I am still working with them for the N63tu. For now, your best bet is the BMS Stage 1.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 04:55 AM   #3
RM707
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Get BMS. Same power, works well, extremely easy to install (like 2 minutes). Uninstall 1 minute.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
lilthrift
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 i50

Ok. Thanks guys for the responses. r33_RGSport I ordered the BMS, the non smoker package and the transmission shift cover from your site! Will I see a little better gas mileage with the BMS tune for my big V-8? Damn thing really drinks the fuel!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthrift
Ok. Thanks guys for the responses. r33_RGSport I ordered the BMS, the non smoker package and the transmission shift cover from your site! Will I see a little better gas mileage with the BMS tune for my big V-8? Damn thing really drinks the fuel!

Thanks!
I have BMS on my 650, so far I don't see fuel difference. I got 15.5mpg on daily drive mostly surface street.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #6
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Well my Racechip Ultimate just arrived and is set to S1:F and S2:C, I have read this forum inside and out and still cannot be sure what is the best setting, have emailed Racechip, Germany as all the literature that arrived is in German which is helpful. Vehicle is a 2014 F15 MSport 40D. Any members fitted one to this model and if so what did you set S1 and S2 to?. Euro spec in this case.Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6605paull View Post
Well my Racechip Ultimate just arrived and is set to S1:F and S2:C, I have read this forum inside and out and still cannot be sure what is the best setting, have emailed Racechip, Germany as all the literature that arrived is in German which is helpful. Vehicle is a 2014 F15 MSport 40D. Any members fitted one to this model and if so what did you set S1 and S2 to?. Euro spec in this case.Thanks.
I know you mentioned that you read all the threads on RC but just making sure you've seen these thread where they discuss settings for the diesel engines.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...light=racechip

11-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I know you mentioned that you read all the threads on RC but just making sure you've seen these thread where they discuss settings for the diesel engines.

Hi yes I did read these threads but people keep jumping from petrol to diesel and back again so got lost to be honest. I cant find anyone with settings S1:F and S2:C, so wanted to know why Racechip have issued mine with these settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Sometimes the settings are random and this is just my thought that the packers/assembly are being careless. I would suggest starting at default settings on your tune and go up one setting at a time. Also I suggest using high grade fuel.
      11-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #10
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sometimes the settings are random and this is just my thought that the packers/assembly are being careless. I would suggest starting at default settings on your tune and go up one setting at a time. Also I suggest using high grade fuel.
Hi thanks I will but I don't know the default settings, nice space grey car by the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Thanks

I'm also not familiar with the diesel chip so I'll let others that know answer for you.
I know Trojanlaw, 42pilot have done some extensive experiments on RC tune, maybe they can provide the answers to the default settings.
      11-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #12
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks

I'm also not familiar with the diesel chip so I'll let others that know answer for you.
I know Trojanlaw, 42pilot have done some extensive experiments on RC tune, maybe they can provide the answers to the default settings.
OK thank you, this forum has been great so far so hopefully someone will comment, or maybe Racechip in Germany will reply
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Since you are talking about a 40d, you really need to start with RaceChip in Germany for their starting settings. I called them when I received my chip and they were very helpful and open. I recommend you invest in a phone call to describe exactly what you have and find what they recommend. Let us know what they recommend - I for one, would be very interested.
      11-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
6605paull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Since you are talking about a 40d, you really need to start with RaceChip in Germany for their starting settings. I called them when I received my chip and they were very helpful and open. I recommend you invest in a phone call to describe exactly what you have and find what they recommend. Let us know what they recommend - I for one, would be very interested.
42pilot, thanks for the interest as I appreciate the 40D is not available to you guys in the US. So I called Racechip in Germany, very helpful people. I also got the below email from them:

Per our phone conversation, here is the information about how to change the settings in your RaceChip Ultimate for your BMW X5 (F15) xDrive 40d 230kW.

We deliver each RaceChip with the basic settings, this are the optimum ratio between more power and less fuel consumption.
On average, the RaceChip Ultimate increases the power of the engine up to 20%.

I'ts hard to tell what the maximum settings for your vehicle are without some testing. Each engine is driven under different conditions and different maintenances, which can lead to different results. Therefore, in order to reach the maximum potential for your vehicle, we will have to make some adjustmensts to S1/S2

With the rotary switch S2 the performance of the RaceChip can be increased or reduced.

From the basic setting "C" every other position you increase clockwise is a further increase of about 1.5%, up to the maximum position, “7” (values on the website).
If you twist the switch on the opposite direction, the output will decrease 1.5%, up to a minimum of ca. 5% at position 8.

The rotary switch S1 controls when the RaceChip will switch off.
In the basic setting"F" of the RaceChip has an average of 1500-3500 RPM. Each additional position clockwise is an extension of the activity by about 200 RPM, anti-clockwise to a corresponding reduction.

Please increase the values one at the time and make a test-drive. Increasing more than two values at once could lead into error messages.

For your vehicle the recommended performance levels are S1/S2:
Level 1: F/D
Level 2: 0/F

So I have fitted the Racechip Ultimate in my 2014 40D M SPort, the fitting was very simple. I have for now left the settings as advised by Racechip, S1:F and S2:C. However to be honest I cannot make my mind up if its made much of a difference to be honest so will leave it as it is for one week then change S2 to E. I was told S:1 controls when the Racechip is actually working and setting F is between 1500-3500RPM, to me that seems to make sense and when you need the extra power. Switch S2 is the performance switch so as Racechip claim a 25% increase from 313HP stock to max 390HP I am going to have a play around until I feel its made the difference I was hoping for although given the weight of the vehicle and the fact it is not exactly slow anyway I'm not to sure it will. As mine is a business lease and fuel paid I can perhaps be a bit more ambitious than some. Please feel free to comment as I'm a novice at all this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #15
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6605paull View Post

[snip]

So I have fitted the Racechip Ultimate in my 2014 40D M SPort, the fitting was very simple. I have for now left the settings as advised by Racechip, S1:F and S2:C. However to be honest I cannot make my mind up if its made much of a difference to be honest so will leave it as it is for one week then change S2 to E. I was told S:1 controls when the Racechip is actually working and setting F is between 1500-3500RPM, to me that seems to make sense and when you need the extra power. Switch S2 is the performance switch so as Racechip claim a 25% increase from 313HP stock to max 390HP I am going to have a play around until I feel its made the difference I was hoping for although given the weight of the vehicle and the fact it is not exactly slow anyway I'm not to sure it will. As mine is a business lease and fuel paid I can perhaps be a bit more ambitious than some. Please feel free to comment as I'm a novice at all this stuff.
S1 controls fuel timing which is torque. It will either increase or decrease the point at which fuel is introduced in the compression cycle. The earlier the injection on the compression cycle, the higher the combustion chamber pressure (torque) and temperature (always a down-side to good stuff). There are diminishing returns here and you need to be very careful how high you set this number. If you think the diesel motor sounds louder, like a "diesel" knock, then you have far too much timing and you need to back it off. Same principal as a gas motor with too much ignition. Both will put holes in the tops of your pistons. RaceChip says the BMW ECU will prevent this, but why take the chance?

S2 controls the amount of fuel (power) introduced during the injection. The more fuel, the more power, to a certain point. BMW's ECU will not let you go too far because it has other sensors like fuel rail pressure that will limit fuel flow. Also, BMW's ECU will allow a certain amount of additional torque, but will flatten it out after something like 1300 rpm to 3000-sh rpm.

You should feel an improvement in throttle response, for sure - it should jump off the line from a dead stop much better than a gas engine. As for horsepower (much different from torque), not many people can tell a 20% difference by the seat of their pants (until your motor hits +500 hp) - it has to be shown on a dyno graph because rarely is horsepower applied to the entire RPM range. It usually peaks at a certain point, usually towards the middle to top-end of the RPM range.

Again, be very careful turning up the tune on your 40d, especially if you own the car. If you choose to play with the settings, adjust by one click and drive it around town for a while to see how you like it. If it throws a CEL, you know you have hit the max the ECU will allow, so back off the setting by one or two clicks.

One last point - gas and diesel engines are very different, so be careful trying to apply gas principles to your diesel engine.