Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

11-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Gronkspike
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CZP

Dealer stringing me along?

I've had a deal ready to go for over a month now for a '16 M3. I've tried to get an answer as to when their allocation will be available and I just get "probably January or February." I don't like not knowing a solid date so I want to bail.

Do dealers really not know when they are up for a new allocation? I understand they are comparatively smaller dealer but I was able to get a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

I sell eggs at 2 cents a dozen when I don't have them too!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronkspike View Post
I've had a deal ready to go for over a month now for a '16 M3. I've tried to get an answer as to when their allocation will be available and I just get "probably January or February." I don't like not knowing a solid date so I want to bail.

Do dealers really not know when they are up for a new allocation? I understand they are comparatively smaller dealer but I was able to get a good deal.
Unfortunately, they do not know when they are up for new allocations nor do they know the quantity. They're only speculating at this point. They are typically released by BMW to the dealers within the first week of each month.

It's difficult to say if they're stringing you along but it would be in your best interest to have a few contingencies in place. I was placed on the dreaded waiting list by my dealer but they came through. It doesn't always work that way. It's just easier to deal with dealerships that have an allocation already.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
The short answer is yes, of course they are stringing you along

The longer answer involves whether or not you have given them a deposit.

Jan/Feb is a LONG time to wait for an allocation.....but this time last year (which doesn't in ANY WAY correlate to this year) I had put my order into the system and I did not get my allocation until Feb.

You're being strung along in the sense that they want your business and will say or do whatever it takes to keep you hooked. Your "deal" doesn't really mean a thing until you have your production number. While they don't know exactly when they will get their allocations and how many, they have general ideas....but what you don't know is how many people are on a list in front of you.

As long as you haven't given them a deposit (and even if you did, depending upon the state, should be completely refundable) you should feel free to shop around for another dealer that does have an allocation. Don't waste your time with anyplace that can't give you a production number right on the spot, you'll just end up being in the same situation as you are currently in with your dealer.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
you should feel free to shop around for another dealer that does have an allocation. Don't waste your time with anyplace that can't give you a production number right on the spot, you'll just end up being in the same situation as you are currently in with your dealer.
This. And in today's day and age that means you can shop across the country without issue. I bought my car through a California dealer.

My ED thread
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
+1

Legit dealer will give you a production number right away, and won't even charge a deposit to your credit card
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Gronkspike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Unfortunately, they do not know when they are up for new allocations nor do they know the quantity. They're only speculating at this point. They are typically released by BMW to the dealers within the first week of each month.

It's difficult to say if they're stringing you along but it would be in your best interest to have a few contingencies in place. I was placed on the dreaded waiting list by my dealer but they came through. It doesn't always work that way. It's just easier to deal with dealerships that have an allocation already.
It must be frustrating for the smaller dealers. I like the idea of having contingencies and will surely work on some this week. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
Gronkspike
Rep

Quote:

The longer answer involves whether or not you have given them a deposit.

Jan/Feb is a LONG time to wait for an allocation.....but this time last year (which doesn't in ANY WAY correlate to this year) I had put my order into the system and I did not get my allocation until Feb.

You're being strung along in the sense that they want your business and will say or do whatever it takes to keep you hooked. Your "deal" doesn't really mean a thing until you have your production number. While they don't know exactly when they will get their allocations and how many, they have general ideas....but what you don't know is how many people are on a list in front of you.

As long as you haven't given them a deposit (and even if you did, depending upon the state, should be completely refundable) you should feel free to shop around for another dealer that does have an allocation. Don't waste your time with anyplace that can't give you a production number right on the spot, you'll just end up being in the same situation as you are currently in with your dealer.
Good stuff. I'll be sure to start contacting dealers asking for the production number. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you don't have a deal ready, unless the dealer has an allocation and dedicates it to your order. In which case you would be in the possession of your build #.

What you have is a dealer selling you hot air.
Since they are talking Jan/Feb production, they did NOT get a Nov/Dec allocation. Or they got them, and gave them to another customer who is producing a higher margin for them.

Either way, you do NOT have a deal.

Quote:
The size of the dealer is irrelevant.
They either have an allocation and production #, or they don't. If they don't, they are guessing as to when they might get another one, and are stringing you along for the ride.

Works the same way for dealers of all shapes and sizes.

a
Appreciate 0