BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
DETSGTSTARSKY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Paint Protection

We are contemplating getting an X5 next year. My plan is to keep the vehicle for quite some time (10 years+). This is because of current work and other lifestyle factors the vehicle will see maybe 5k of use per year. The vehicle will be garaged and covered during periods of non use. I am interested in keeping the exterior pristine mostly for my own enjoyment/ease of upkeep. This is because I won't have a good detailer nearby and want to keep rock chips, swirl marks and scratches at bay. I have used 3M paint protection film on a previous vehicle that does well on covered areas. I talked to a shop I have used in the past with the idea of doing the entire vehicle to protect the paint. They gave me an off hand figure of 6000k for the whole vehicle due to the size. I know there are the other chemical sealers on the market. What has the experience been with the other products out there with regard to keeping the paint showroom new? Also for anyone who has used these products for an X5 what were the costs? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

well since you're in florida, keep it out of the sun. if you drive highways a lot, then maybe a clear bra.
or vinyl wrap the whole thing!
and never accept "free" washes from the dealer, and never use a carwash with brushes.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Clear bras will protect the paint from scratches, rock chips..everything but has life span limit. I don't care what they say but over time they will yellow and the longer its on the car the more it will yellow and become harder to remove. Check with your installer to see what they recommend. I would not apply this on a white car because you can see the seams and the yellowing the most on a white car.

Vinyl wraps have a life span of about 3 years before you need to remove it. If you keep a wrap on a car for too long it will be a major pain to remove. My buddy sold his wrapped car to a bodyshop and they left the wrap on for too long. Now when they tried to remove it its peeling up in tiny tiny pieces instead of one large one. Also as much as you'd think vinyl wrap would protect the paint from chips it doesn't. The wrap might offer some level of protection but the wrap will chip off just like paint if not easier. So the end result is a wrap that is pitted and chipped up on the car. I wrapped my previous 550 with 3M vinyl and after one winter the front looked terrible.

Chemical sealants will protect the paint from swirls and minor scratches but it mainly to keep the paint looking like its just waxed all the time. Its not going to do anything for rock chips. It will keep the car cleaner longer in between washes and its easier to dry the car since the water beads on the surface or slips right off.

Alan
      11-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
va_lemon
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
Clear bras will protect the paint from scratches, rock chips..everything but has life span limit. I don't care what they say but over time they will yellow and the longer its on the car the more it will yellow and become harder to remove. Check with your installer to see what they recommend. I would not apply this on a white car because you can see the seams and the yellowing the most on a white car.

Vinyl wraps have a life span of about 3 years before you need to remove it. If you keep a wrap on a car for too long it will be a major pain to remove. My buddy sold his wrapped car to a bodyshop and they left the wrap on for too long. Now when they tried to remove it its peeling up in tiny tiny pieces instead of one large one. Also as much as you'd think vinyl wrap would protect the paint from chips it doesn't. The wrap might offer some level of protection but the wrap will chip off just like paint if not easier. So the end result is a wrap that is pitted and chipped up on the car. I wrapped my previous 550 with 3M vinyl and after one winter the front looked terrible.

Chemical sealants will protect the paint from swirls and minor scratches but it mainly to keep the paint looking like its just waxed all the time. Its not going to do anything for rock chips. It will keep the car cleaner longer in between washes and its easier to dry the car since the water beads on the surface or slips right off.

Alan
Good points Alan. My wife and I are about to take delivery of a mineral white X5. Have you used any films on your X5 or paint sealants only? I was considering getting Xpel Ultimate installed but don't want to see the seams and am concerned about the film yellowing on a white car. Perhaps just get some film on the M Sport side skirts to prevent road rash from the wheels that we've seen reported on this forum?

Thanks!
HH

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
VP500
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lemon View Post
Good points Alan. My wife and I are about to take delivery of a mineral white X5. Have you used any films on your X5 or paint sealants only? I was considering getting Xpel Ultimate installed but don't want to see the seams and am concerned about the film yellowing on a white car. Perhaps just get some film on the M Sport side skirts to prevent road rash from the wheels that we've seen reported on this forum?

Thanks!
HH
My front end & side skirts is wrapped with Xpel Ultimate but I also had them do the whole hood to get rid of the seams. In addition, I had my car coated with Ceramic Pro that will help with small scratches and swirl marks.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
va_lemon
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP500
Quote:

Thanks!
HH
My front end & side skirts is wrapped with Xpel Ultimate but I also had them do the whole hood to get rid of the seams. In addition, I had my car coated with Ceramic Pro that will help with small scratches and swirl marks.
Great! I was also looking at Ceramic Pro as a sealant. Did you by chance get the interior protected as well with Ceramic Pro?

How long have you had Ceramic Pro and would you recommend it with Xpel?

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: Mercedes AMG GT 53 4-door

Garage List
Paint protection!
My experience shows that the only solution is a new painting!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
VP500
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Great! I was also looking at Ceramic Pro as a sealant. Did you by chance get the interior protected as well with Ceramic Pro?

How long have you had Ceramic Pro and would you recommend it with Xpel?

Thanks!
To be honest, I wasn't even aware you could get the interior coated. Not sure if I would since I imagine it would be a shine look.

I just had Ceramic Pro put on but had XPEL for over a month. So far I absolutely love the protection that XPEL provides as well as the constant clean look that Ceramic Pro achieves.

The main reason why I obtained Ceramic Pro was of the 9H hardness which reduces potential scratches. I would certainly do it again!

In addition, I put ClearPlex on my windshield to protect it against rock chips as well. Maybe I went a bit overboard in protecting the car lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:42 AM   #9
bootleg gucci
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35i Luxury

Xpel Ultimate and Opti-Coat Pro+

Right after delivery of my 2016 X5 in Mineral White, I got Xpel Ultimate installed on full front bumper, full hood wrap, full fenders even wrapped by doors, headlights, door cups, side mirrors. $2200 from authorized installer

I chose Xpel over Suntek specifically because of the 10 year warranty against yellowing and thicker protection than the Suntek. The warranty provides a guarantee that if any yellowing or lifting occurs, any authorized Xpel detailer will replace the install at no charge.

IMO PPF is worth it if you are owning the car for 4+ years. rock chips are hard to touch up on mineral colors.

Next week I am getting the Opti-Coat Pro, Pro Plus+, glass, trim sealant for easier cleaning and protection in the years to come. My authorized detailer quoted $1098 for all this including clay barring & prep work, although my X5 is garaged and avoided much driving since delivery. I did consider Cquartz finest but it lasts only 2 years. For the interior, I gave my dealer some business and paid for Luxcare interior leather treatment (60 month coverage to clean and reapply as needed). Lol I will see how it performs on keeping the Ivory White and Black Dakota interior clean.
      11-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
SpdAddictRY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i

Our x5 had some minor paint correction done first and then Xpel Ultimate was applied on the front bumper and splitter. Cquartz Finest was then applied to the entire vehicle, including the wheels and interior. So far I'm happy with it (it's been 8 months). It sheds the water really well when it's being washed. Although it doesn't have the smooth, freshly waxed feeling when dry, the gloss is still impressive.
Appreciate 0