BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

10-29-2015, 12:54 AM   #1
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Options you chose and options you left out, and why

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where everyone outlines which options they feel are must haves and which options can be left out and why.
It would be helpful for members and lurkers looking for a new X5. It will also reduce the amount of repeat questions.

PLEASE ADD YOUR OWN OPINIONS

I've had my X5 for about 4 months and it has about 2100 miles on the ODO, and I love it!

My must have options:

1. Upgraded suspenion, which comes in 3 flavors
a. DHP- the most expensive, but gives the best driving dynamics and
experience
b. M Sport suspension, which can only be purchased with M sport package
(On a 35i, cost even more than DHP. Doesn't handle quite as well as
as DHP, but huge improvement over stock suspension)
c. Dynamic Damper control- According to the "sticky" suspension chart,
this options can be more comfortable than stock suspension, and as
"sporty" as the stock suspension

I chose option b, M Sport package with the M sport suspension.

Although the M sport package is purely cosmetic, it's the look I like best.
(I don't like the stock 18's on the 2015 MY but I do like the current stock 19's). Given the choice between looks and good handling and superb handling, I chose the former.
I didn't get to test the M Sport suspension but I believed BMW's claims and members like Kzang have continually raved about it, so I went for this option.
Every car I've owned has been smaller and weighed less than the F15, so I wanted a SUV that felt more like a car than a SUV.
I can say the M sport suspension made this car more agile and helped it feel smaller than it actually is.

The dynamic handling package would of given me a better handling car around the curves, but I'm fine with what I've chosen. I don't exactly take curves or turns at the highest possible speed. I've never driven a car with DHP, so I can't miss it. For those of you who want the best possible handing F15, go for DHP. I've never seen one member complain about the option

2. Leather

A base X5 is $55,000, and it's fairly well equipped. Pano roof, nav, xenons, power tailgate, etc. Even if I were to buy a base F15 and chose NO other options, I would add leather. You CAN NOT look at sensatec and say to yourself it looks like leather. It's not like Mercedes' MB TEX where you'd never know unless you're told it's faux leather. $1450 for an option that should be standard is absurd, but skipping this option is unthinkable for me. Say what you want about Dakota leather but leather is leather and pleather is not.
(I went with the premium package, which add's comfort access and 4 zone climate control.
I like comfort access because I never need to take the keys out of my pocket. I've had this type of function on 3 out of my last 4 car, so I can say it's nice to have but not a necessity.
4 zone climate control is nice for me because I like to be cool, my wife to be warm, and my son needs to be in a temp where he's not cold and not sweating)

3. Rear manual sunshades
I wanted to keep the sun off my son. Aftermarket shades would of cost $60 or so. It wasn't a huge premium over something that would have kept falling off your rear windows.
(I found out it also offers additional privacy. It's close to impossible to see into the backseat with the sunshades up)

4. Comfort access rear seats.
I didn't think rear seat passengers would be comfortable sitting in an upright position all the time.
Worth the money. It's standard on the 2008 Honda Pilot I was driving for a month.

5. Space saving spare.
This is the single cheapest option. It's $150. My last car was a F10 that came with run flats and I upgraded to 20" wheels. I got a flat and didn't want to call AAA, who probably would NOT have sent a flat bed. I called my brother instead who brought me a stock wheel to slap on. A 3 hour ordeal.....
I really wanted the 3rd row, which I can say I would have used about once a month, but the spare was more important to me.
No way I want to get stuck on a winter night waiting for someone to bring me a spare tire.
It's $150. I can say with full confidence you're not going to regret this option. If you hate it, sell it here on the forum, you'll get more than $150 or leave it in your garge, store random crap in the space.

6. Rear view camera
Another option I figured would be standard on any SUV, not just a $55k SUV. Seeing where I'm backing into is not an option, it's a necessity.
(I went for the drivers assistance package. I love HUD. Nav is easier to see. I'm constantly looking at the speed......pretty sure no one else does that)

Options I added but could have done without

1. 20" M sport wheels
I didn't like the look of the stock 19's. They appeared too small and I didn't like the design.

2. LED headlights
I'm convinced they offer a nicer color than xenon's but I'm not sure they shoot further or wider.

3. Parking assistant
Never used. Not once. I added this option to allow someone to easily park my car, even if they don't drive it often. After hearing that other drivers have had their rims curbed by this system, I'd probably skip this one.

4. Harmon Kardon
I didn't like the speakers in my F10. I'm not an audiophile. Not even close. I wanted more speakers to get sense of being surrounded by the music, which the harmon kardon does an OK job at.
I sure wasn't going to pay $4000 for B&0. My son's favorite youtube stream of "wheels on the bus" will sound like crap either way.

5. Surround view.
I thought about the future modder in myself, the one who bought a carbon fiber lip and didn't want it scratched. It's worth it for the front camera alone, but if you're looking for a true surround view, imagine an image of your car's surronding area in the size of your Iphone screen. It's better than nothing but I think you can skip this one.

Options I wished I added

1. Leather dashboard

I chose a 35i because I knew I had no use for a 50i. There are no real open stretches of road by me and I'm never going to gun it with my wife and son in the car. Even still, I still wanted a 50i. Nothing like a V8.
I had to delete all the options that would inch the MSRP closer to a 50i, so I deleted leather dash.

(Mocha design package add this so you're essentially pay an additianal $750, you're getting premium nappa leather, which is much nicer than dakota. It seems to crease much easier than dakota leather though so it would really annoy me)
For $1200, you might be telling yourself "that's a lot of money for a patch of leather, but for that price, your car has entered a new level of luxury. Obviously, this is unnecessary and serves ZERO function, but in person, it looks phenomenal.
Maybe you don't have a 7 series, but you'll have a dashboard that will remind you of one.
Appreciate 2
EDWYER1674.00
      10-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Please read my comments below in red...
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i View Post
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where everyone outlines which options they feel are must haves and which options can be left out and why.
It would be helpful for members and lurkers looking for a new X5. It will also reduce the amount of repeat questions.

I've had my X5 for about 4 months and it has about 2100 miles on the ODO, and I love it!

My must have options:

experience

Depends firstly on what line you want to go for. If M Sport line, then you want a sportier car, so DHP seems to be the right choice so I've heard from all M line enthusiasts. 2VM (Dynamic Damper + Rear Air axle) is more towards comfort.
I chose option b, M Sport package with the M sport suspension.

Although the M sport package is purely cosmetic, it's the look I like best.
(I don't like the stock 18's on the 2015 MY but I do like the current stock 19's). Given the choice between looks and good handling and superb handling, I chose the former. again, if you are fixated on the M then you pretty much have M options. But M limits your exterior color choice, that's one.
I didn't get to test the M Sport suspension but I believed BMW's claims and members like Kzang have continually raved about it, so I went for this option.
Every car I've owned has been smaller and weighed less than the F15, so I wanted a SUV that felt more like a car than a SUV.
I can say the M sport suspension made this car more agile and helped it feel smaller than it actually is.

The dynamic handling package would of given me a better handling car around the curves, but I'm fine with what I've chosen. I don't exactly take curves or turns at the highest possible speed. I've never driven a car with DHP, so I can't miss it. For those of you who want the best possible handing F15, go for DHP. I've never seen one member complain about the option

2. Leather

A base X5 is $55,000, and it's fairly well equipped. Pano roof, nav, xenons, power tailgate, etc. Even if I were to buy a base F15 and chose NO other options, I would add leather. You CAN NOT look at sensatec and say to yourself it looks like leather. It's not like Mercedes' MB TEX where you'd never know unless you're told it's faux leather. $1450 for an option that should be standard is absurd, but skipping this option is unthinkable for me. Say what you want about Dakota leather but leather is leather and pleather is not.
(I went with the premium package, which add's comfort access and 4 zone climate control. I have had the regular seats with dakota leather on my previous X5, and they were perfect. no complaint. I've chosen comfort on my new X5. Needless to say that it was NOT a must have, and if the color combination of what I was looking for didn't exist, I would have reverted back to regular dakota leather seats. Dakota is more harder and tougher looking than Nappa IMO.
I like comfort access because I never need to take the keys out of my pocket. I've had this type of function on 3 out of my last 4 car, so I can say it's nice to have but not a necessity.
4 zone climate control is nice for me because I like to be cool, my wife to be warm, and my son needs to be in a temp where he's not cold and not sweating)
In Canada, these little details come as aprt of a package. The 4 zone climate which adds rear controls was pretty nice, but having two little kids, it was always a victim of being kicked at and getting muddy or dirty shoes all over it...but that's life I guess.
3. Rear manual sunshades
I wanted to keep the sun off my son. Aftermarket shades would of cost $60 or so. It wasn't a huge premium over something that would have kept falling off your rear windows.
(I found out it also offers additional privacy. It's close to impossible to see into the backseat with the sunshades up)
The integrated sunshades are most excellent. they consume no additional space and they disappear when not needed. it is perfect IMO
4. Comfort access rear seats.
I didn't think rear seat passengers would be comfortable sitting in an upright position all the time.
Worth the money. It's standard on the 2008 Honda Pilot I was driving for a month.
If you've seen it, the tilting and adjustment is very limited. Especially if you are ordering 3rd row, this option will be deleted.
5. Space saving spare.
This is the single cheapest option. It's $150. My last car was a F10 that came with run flats and I upgraded to 20" wheels. I got a flat and didn't want to call AAA, who probably would NOT have sent a flat bed. I called my brother instead who brought me a stock wheel to slap on. A 3 hour ordeal.....
I really wanted the 3rd row, which I can say I would have used about once a month, but the spare was more important to me. Again, note that with 3rd row, you will not get the Rear comfort seats.
No way I want to get stuck on a winter night waiting for someone to bring me a spare tire.
It's $150. I can say with full confidence you're not going to regret this option. If you hate it, sell it here on the forum, you'll get more than $150 or leave it in your garge, store random crap in the space.

6. Rear view camera
Another option I figured would be standard on any SUV, not just a $55k SUV. Seeing where I'm backing into is not an option, it's a necessity.
(I went for the drivers assistance package. I love HUD. Nav is easier to see. I'm constantly looking at the speed......pretty sure no one else does that)
Important feature
Options I added but could have done without

1. 20" M sport wheels
I didn't like the look of the stock 19's. They appeared too small and I didn't like the design. I went with performance tires on my last X5. They look great...but only for 5 months of the year...then comes winter, I'm guessing you're no different in NY than us in Toronto. Then you have to swap those heavy tire twice a year. Still have ugly looking 19" on the car for a good 6-7 months in a year... i was done with that...so I'm going all season again on the next one...wheel stay on the car, I don't have to worry about dents and scratches everytime I take the car to a dealership for tire swap and I keep the money in my pocket

2. LED headlights
I'm convinced they offer a nicer color than xenon's but I'm not sure they shoot further or wider.
This is one of those BIG non-essentials for me, honestly. for that money, I'd say, the Xenon lights with LED rings on the car are already perfect...the difference is not that much. The Xenon also give you adaptive driving (they turn with you turning the wheels) whereas the LED's don't have that I think
3. Parking assistant
Never used. Not once. I added this option to allow someone to easily park my car, even if they don't drive it often. After hearing that other drivers have had their rims curbed by this system, I'd probably skip this one.
Not bad, but if you select Active Steering, you can't select this option. I went for AS as I think it will be more utilized.
4. Harmon Kardon
I didn't like the speakers in my F10. I'm not an audiophile. Not even close. I wanted more speakers to get sense of being surrounded by the music, which the harmon kardon does an OK job at. Solid choice
I sure wasn't going to pay $4000 for B&0. My son's favorite youtube stream of "wheels on the bus" will sound like crap either way. Certainly not worth it, but I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me here...but $5,000 for a marginal upgrade??? I think you can do a lot of other stuff with that money

5. Surround view.
I thought about the future modder in myself, the one who bought a carbon fiber lip and didn't want it scratched. It's worth it for the front camera alone, but if you're looking for a true surround view, imagine an image of your car's surronding area in the size of your Iphone screen. It's better than nothing but I think you can skip this one. protecting the vehicle,,,of course it is a good choice

Options I wished I added

1. Leather dashboard

I chose a 35i because I knew I had no use for a 50i. There are no real open stretches of road by me and I'm never going to gun it with my wife and son in the car. Even still, I still wanted a 50i. Nothing like a V8. also think fuel consumption...we can all go 70 miles and 100km in North America...if it was Germany, that would have been a totally different scenario!
I had to delete all the options that would inch the MSRP closer to a 50i, so I deleted leather dash.

(Mocha design package add this so you're essentially pay an additianal $750, you're getting premium nappa leather, which is much nicer than dakota. It seems to crease much easier than dakota leather though so it would really annoy me)
For $1200, you might be telling yourself "that's a lot of money for a patch of leather, but for that price, your car has entered a new level of luxury. Obviously, this is unnecessary and serves ZERO function, but in person, it looks phenomenal. I had Mocha Dakota on my previous and I chose Mocha Nappa on the new one. Both look incredible IMO. Dakota is sturdier and tougher which I think it gives a better character to a car seat. If BMW offered Mocha Dakota with Comfort seats, that would have been my number one choice to be honest. Nappa is softer and I'm not sure about its lifetime and strength. So I've gambled here a bit.
Maybe you don't have a 7 series, but you'll have a dashboard that will remind you of one.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 MSport + VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
2. LED headlights
This is one of those BIG non-essentials for me, honestly. for that money, I'd say, the Xenon lights with LED rings on the car are already perfect...the difference is not that much. The Xenon also give you adaptive driving (they turn with you turning the wheels) whereas the LED's don't have that I think
LED has the adaptive feature as well, in fact the first LED adaptive feature was released in 2012 for the 7 series, and later on apply to the xenon headlight.
      10-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamh View Post
LED has the adaptive feature as well, in fact the first LED adaptive feature was released in 2012 for the 7 series, and later on apply to the xenon headlight.
thx for the clarification...i wasn't sure about that...but even that, I would still not pay for...
The LED light (here $2,500 CAD) and B&O ($5,000) sound system are two "marginally" better options that I can easily stay away from without missing them, especially knowing that I can accomplish much greater things with $7,500 and still have my X5
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Canada and USA is different... I believe LED lights for US is $1,900.. still high but better than Canada! At $1,900 I would do it again with the LED's.. It just makes the car look a lot more luxurious, modern, sporty, and IMO brighter, whiter, crisper lights. It also ties in nicely with the LED fogs we get in the USA standard... Not to mention both bulbs on the headlights light up instead of the single bulb on the Xenons.
      10-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
fooit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d w/Mpkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Canada and USA is different... I believe LED lights for US is $1,900.. still high but better than Canada! At $1,900 I would do it again with the LED's.. It just makes the car look a lot more luxurious, modern, sporty, and IMO brighter, whiter, crisper lights. It also ties in nicely with the LED fogs we get in the USA standard... Not to mention both bulbs on the headlights light up instead of the single bulb on the Xenons.
USD$ 1900 is CAD$ 2500 right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Doh.. lol
      10-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

If I had money to piss
1). LEDs, I don't ever look at the front of the car while driving
2). B&O, looks cool with the speaker rising when you turn it on, must sound a little better.
3). Executive package, I didn't want soft close doors or ceramic controls, why on the 50i isn't HUD a stand alone option like it is on the 35i?

If I would have thought harder
1). DHP
2). Dynamic steering - had it on a 5'er and loved it. Just sent email to SA.

Not in a million years.
1). Rear sat entertainment. It's called iPads.
2). Night vision

I got everything else.

Last edited by bjcarls; 10-29-2015 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
$1,900 is sitting at around $2,600 Canadian. So technically yours is more expensive.
I would also throw in the higher cost of replacement for LED as headlights are constantly under the thread of stone chips...that happened to my X3.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #10
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Doh.. lol
it is Duh! (Homer way!)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

Quote:

I've had my X5 for about 4 months and it has about 7600 miles on the ODO, and I love it! .... haha!!
.... I'm way over even my 18k/year lease rate....guess I'll have to buy it out (like I did with the
2007 E70 that I traded in with 144k)

My Must Haves
  • 416 Carbon Black
  • LCB8 Terra Dakota
  • ZMM M-Sport
  • ZDH Dynamic Handling Package
  • 2VP Dyn Perf + Active Roll Stabilization
  • 2VF Adaptive M Susp + Rear Air Susp
  • ZCW Cold Weather Package
  • ZPP Premium Package
  • 456 Multi Contour Seats
  • 4AC Poplar Wood Trim
  • 3AT Satin Aluminum Roof Rails
  • 3AG Rear View Camera
  • 5DL Surround View
  • 688 Harmon Kardon sound
  • 300 Space Saver Spare
  • Open lower M sport Grilles (looks silly stock, thanks RGSport!)
  • Black Herringbone CocoMats www.cocomats.com)
  • 15mm H&R spacers in rear (actually 20mm would have been better)

Options I now believe I could have done without
  • None

Options I wish I had bought
  • 5AG Active Blind Spot Detection (only comes with DA and DA+)

Options that would have been nice, but I still don't need
  • 417 Rear manual side window shades (for $250 its almost free)
  • 4M5 Leather Dashboard (saw one recently and it was gorgeous)
  • 4FF Comfort Rear Seats
  • 5AT ACC Stop & Go

Options I didn't get and wouldn't get anyway
  • 2PW 20" M wheels style 469M (not practical in NH, and I love the 467Ms)***
  • 453 Front ventilated seats (not available in Terra)
  • ZLP LED Lighting Package (the xenons are really bright, and I coded VLD)
  • ZMD Mocha Interior Design Package (liked Mocha seats, disliked brown dash)
  • 217 Active Steering (I like a constant ratio)
  • 323 Soft-close automatic doors (more things to break without any benefit)
  • 4U1 Ceramic Controls (I like the feel of the Matte iDrive touchpad)
  • 4UB 3rd row seat (not avail with Msport and DHP, also would never use)
  • 5DP Parking Assistant (fun to show friends maybe, but useful?)
  • 6F2 Bang & Olufsen Sound System (HK is great, though I did prebuy BavSound Woofers)
  • 6FH Rear-seat entertainment Professional (kids all grown up)
  • 6NS Smartphone Integration (coded for free)
  • 6UK Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection (maybe nice, but $2300 nice?)

***go ahead haters you don't think the 19" 467Ms look manly, too small for the car, yada
yada yada ... the fact is I really love the 467Ms, live on a dirt road, and have potholes and
frost heaves... I even bought an ADDITIONAL set of 19" 467Ms (thanks Ashot12) so
that I can mount up a set of REAL winter tires (Hakkapeliitta R2s) not just rely on "all"-seasons
when the New Hampshire snow drifts start piling on soon... here are some Hakka vids:

Hakkapeliitta R2 - The finest non-studded winter tyre

Nokian Hakka Testing Labs and Tracks in Finland

Last edited by wearenh; 10-29-2015 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #12
RM707
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearenh View Post
***go ahead haters you don't think the 19" 467Ms look manly, too small for the car, yada
yada yada ...
LOL - loved it
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:26 AM   #13
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:

My must have options:

experience
Has the credibility of the chart been established? As far as I know it is worthless.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #14
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
thx for the clarification...i wasn't sure about that...but even that, I would still not pay for...
The LED light (here $2,500 CAD) and B&O ($5,000) sound system are two "marginally" better options that I can easily stay away from without missing them, especially knowing that I can accomplish much greater things with $7,500 and still have my X5
exactly.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:36 AM   #15
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearenh View Post
yada yada ... the fact is I really love the 467Ms, live on a dirt road, and have potholes and
frost heaves... I even bought an ADDITIONAL set of 19" 467Ms (thanks Ashot12) so
that I can mount up a set of REAL winter tires (Hakkapeliitta R2s) not just rely on "all"-seasons
ha ha ha
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:38 AM   #16
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

2. Leather

(I went with the premium package, which add's comfort access and 4 zone climate control.
The reason for no standard leather is actually sound. Many German cars are leased. After three years many drivers bring back the cars with worn leather. Now the dealer has to replace the seat or covering thus eating significantly into the profit margin.

Also the ability to buy a car without leather by vegans is a bonus. It is easy to knock down the logic and it is silly but the veggie car buyer looks the other way on hundreds of things every day anyway.

I agree MBtex is much more leather-like. The premium pkg solves everything and allows you to get what I think is a must have: comfort access.

To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:43 AM   #17
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
Has the credibility of the chart been established? As far as I know it is worthless.
That's a good point. According to BMW website, Both the Dynamic Damper control option and M adaptive suspension offer "dynamic damper control and air cushioning on the rear axle"

For all we know, they can both offer the same "sporty" feel BMW claims the M adaptive suspension offers. If someone is in the market for the option, it would be a good idea to contact BMW and get a solid answer.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:53 AM   #18
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's a good point. According to BMW website, Both the Dynamic Damper control option and M adaptive suspension offer "dynamic damper control and air cushioning on the rear axle"

For all we know, they can both offer the same "sporty" feel BMW claims the M adaptive suspension offers. If someone is in the market for the option, it would be a good idea to contact BMW and get a solid answer.
Several people have questioned who created the chart but no answers. There has been no link to BMW and the chart.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #19
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

My Build:

Mineral White Xdrive 35i
M Sport
20" 469 M Wheels
Adaptive M Suspension
Premium Package
Driver Assist Package
Mocha Nappa Design Package
Cold Weather Package
LED Lighting Package
Soft Close doors
Harmon Kardon Stereo
Rear Sun Shades
Spare Tire

Things I could live without:

Soft Close Doors - They work but people slam my doors regardless so they don't get to be used all that often

Cold Weather Package - Not really needed. I could have just added the front heated seats separately saving a few hundred bucks. The rear heated seats in my X5 won't ever be used since I have to car seats in there for my kids. The heated steering wheel does feel nice but not a big deal if i didn't have it.

LED Lighting Package - I will admit that I got this purely based on looks alone. Its an expensive package and while they look great I am not completely convinced they are worth $1900 over the standard HID's that comes on the X5. I am a big aesthetics guy so thats my only reason for getting them. Those LED lights and turn signals looks so good at night!

Things I absolutely couldn't live without:

Msport Package with 20" 469M - To my eyes its what makes the car stand out. Combined with the 20" 469M wheels its just a looker from all angles even stock. Fat steam roller looking rear tires just makes it look like a angry bulldog ready for action. (Deal Breaker)

Adaptive M Suspension - For $900 its a no brainer. I like the fact that my car could have dual personalities depending on my driving mood and road conditions. Soft and relaxing or Sharp and athletic. The suspension difference between the modes is very apparent. (Deal Breaker)

Mocha Design Package - I had a brand new E70 X5 loaner once prior to my F15 and I couldn't get over how cheap the interior looked compared to my F10 5 series. I had nappa in my 5 and the dash/seats in the E70 just looked so inferior compared to my cars. From that point on i knew if I got the X5 the interior is where I have to spend my money on if I was going to be happy with it. The leather covered dash, door panels, shifter console just brings the luxury feel to a whole new level. THIS is how a 70K interior should look and feel like to me. (Deal Breaker)

Driver Assist Package - Must have for a car in this price range. I can't even imagine parking this thing without the back up camera/sensors. (Deal Breaker)

Harmon Kardon Stereo - No brainer to me. It wasn't expensive and its a lot better than the standard radio. (Not a deal breaker)

Rear Sun Shades - Same here. Cheap and very very useful if you have kids. Just the standard tinted windows isn't enough. (Not a deal breaker)

Spare Tire - Just nice to have the peace of mind. (Not a deal breaker)

Things I wish I had or would add if i did it over again

Dynamic Handling Package - My X5 handles great as is but I do sense it limitations. Everyone raves about the DHP and the X5M comes with it so I can't even imagine how much better my X5 could have been with this option.

Driving Assistance Plus Package - The surround view or the front camera feature alone could be very useful on this car. Its big and sometimes its just hard to judge just how much space is left for tight spaces.

Alan
      11-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #20
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

My X5:

2016 xdrive 3.5
Alpine White
Black Leather
Aluminum Hexagon trim
MSport Package w/19" 467Ms (will be used as the winter setup)
Dynamic Handling Package
Premium Package
Luxury Seating Package
Cold Weather Package
Harman/kardon audio
Comfort rear seats
Backup Camera
Surround View Camera
Rear side window shades
Smartphone integration

I could live without:
Cold Weather package - only really wanted the heated steering wheel. Wish it were still a $150 stand-alone option. Hate the stupid headlight squirters. Might code them off or at least to fire less often. Drains the washer tank way too quickly, particularly in a northeast winter.

Smartphone integration: Didn't know that I could code this, so tacked it on. I also thought you didn't get the two different microphones without adding this on. It added like $2/month to my lease payment so no big deal.

Can't live without:
MSport package: truck just looks waaaaay better with it. Frankly, it shouldn't be $4450 since it adds pretty much nothing in terms of performance. Even the body kit doesn't really add any manufacturing cost (maybe like $100?), but looks matter, which is why so many of us paid $4450 for an MSport "Appearance" package. However, what really ticks me off is that BMW removed the adjustable side bolsters from the MSport seats on the X5. This pretty much forced me to pay the extra $1000 for the Luxury Seating Package

Dynamic Handling Package: Again, not sure it is really worth $4500 ($3000 perhaps) but it makes the truck drive like a real BMW. I am constantly amazed at how hard I can fling this thing into turns. The truck actually "dives into" turns. Stock trucks don't handle anything like this. I almost cheaped out and just put the Adaptive M dampers (which should be standand with the MSport package) on the truck, but I had driven a used 2014 Xdrive 5.0 with Msport and DHP so I knew just how good the DHP really was. I can't wait to get my lower profile 22s on the truck in the spring to see how it really handles.

Luxury seating package: The comfort seats are so much better than stock, and a nice upgrade from the MSport seats, which really should be considered "MSport Light" since they removed the adjustable side bolsters. Love having the headrest and adjustable thigh bolster tied into the seat memory too. I'm 6'2", my wife is 5'4" so there is a lot of adjustments needed when switching. Now it is just the rear-view mirror. Love the adjustable side bolsters too. MSport seats were way too wide. The ventilation is nice to have too, though not quite as effective as a true "cooled" seat. Remember, Luxury Seating Package is only $1000 in combination with MSport, not the full $1350. Amazing how many MSports I saw in dealer inventory that had the $950 Comfort Seat option instead of the $1000 Luxury Seating w/ventilation

Premium Package: Contents on this should be standard on an X5 in my opinion. Leather, comfort access, Satellite radio should definitely be standard. 4-zone climate control is not really needed, but nice to have. Also, why didn't they add the "kick to open trunk" thingie to the X5? Cheaper vehicles have it and it would be really useful when juggling kids/groceries/etc.

HK Audio: big step up from stock system (and should also be standard on the X5 - it is on an X3 3.5 now). B+O was just ridiculously priced. I'm still adding the BavSound "Stealth Subs" though. Mid-bass and bass is still lacking a bit on the HK system. Upping the bass EQ about 3-4 notches helps, but then you start to muddy the lower midrange on the main speakers and push them into distorting earlier.

Rear view camera/parking sensors: Again, totally necessary on a big SUV and should be freaking standard on a vehicle of this price. You get it for free in a Hyundai/Ford/GM/etc nowadays.

Surround View Cameras: worth the $750 up charge just to keep from curbing your expensive rims. Had it on my X3 and loved it. On the wider X5 I consider this an almost mandatory feature.

Side windows shades: necessary if you have infants/small children. Helps a ton during "nap time"

Comfort Rear Seats: Way more comfortable than the stock rear seat. The backs recline just enough to make for a more comfortable passenger experience as well. Also, if you are still using a rear-facing car seat, reclining the seat back allows you to get the baby seat installed about 2 more inches rearward, which then equates to a bit more room to slide the passenger front seat back (or recline it more). Plus, if you need some more cargo room, you can slide the rear seats about 6 inches forward in like 5 seconds. This has come in handy a few times for me already. The sliding/reclining part of this should be standard in an X5 in my opinion. Comes in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Edge, etc at no charge.

Things I wish I had:
Active Steering: much better on-center feel than the standard steering, which is just too darn light. Really wish I had known this before placing my order. This is really the only thing I'm not liking about my X5, how poorly it tracks on highways. I always feel like I'm correcting the steering just to stay straight.

Blind Spot monitoring: While I know how to adjust my mirrors properly, this is still nice to have if you spend a lot of time on busy highways. Sadly, you need to buy $3100 worth of options (driver's assistance/drivers assistance plus) packages to get this one feature. Make it an $800 stand-alone option and I would have added it.

20" 469M wheels. Really look good on an MSport. The 19s look a bit wussy. Spacers on the rear will help, but I'm just going to use the stock 19s as my winter wheels/tires and have already bought a set of 22s to put on in the spring. If you are leasing, it will be a lot cheaper to replace the 19s than the 20s at lease turn in time as well, plus if you drive low miles you might not need to replace the tires at lease turn-in.

Spare tire: Probably should have sprung for this (like $2/month on the lease payment). But I really liked the hidden storage area and initially thought I'd just be picking up a set of 20" 469M rims with run flats for summer tires. Then I went for 22s with non-run flats. Fortunately the BMW Mobility Kit stores nicely in the big storage area under the trunk bed with plenty of room to spare.

If you didn't catch on to my theme, a lot of what I consider mandatory on this truck (or any SUV in this price range) should have either been included as standard equipment or for the performance options, standard with the MSport package. I know that enthusiasts like us are in the minority, but please point this stuff out in your surveys/questionnaires from BMW NA. If they hear enough griping, maybe - just maybe, they'll start giving us a little more for our money. Maybe even give us a separate "MSport Appearance" and "M Performance" package (with actual performance enhancing goodies) Of course, I say this and still went and bought (well leased) yet another BMW because if optioned right they do still drive better than almost anything out there.

Last edited by Influence; 11-03-2015 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
There is more to the LED package than just the front lamps.

You get 4 working front lamps, you don't get that dead spot in the headlight that everyone is asking how to use it.

Front Fogs are LED.

All outside and inside lamps are LED.

No orange in the headlights.

The light pattern is better and the distance is much better. My previous X5 had Xenon and the lights move much more to give you the light in the curve. With these LED's they move very little since they have such a large/wide light pattern.

This option is one of the most impressive I added to my F15. I get comments by everyone about how much light they create at night. I love how much I can see when driving this vehicle. When I drive anything else it seems as there is no light at all from their lamps.

My F15 has everything but 3rd row, & rear entertainment. The Kids get new iPads every year so it didn't make sense to spend that cash on those.

As for the B&O sound system. This thing is nuts if you know how to set the EQ correctly. You can not over drive it at all, not matter the volume. The H&K can not handle some of the music I listen to at the levels I set it at. It just can't!!

The vented front seats. I hear a lot of complaints about how they are not cooling you down. They were never advertised as cooled seats. I have had cooled seats in my 2011 F150 Limited. Those have active cooling units in the seat and would freeze your butt. They were really nice on hot days since in the summer they would cool the seats when you remote started the truck. BMW vented seats only recirculate air through the seats. If the inside is not cold you will not get cold air. I do like them even with the heated seats on since they move air and stop me from getting sweaty.

Night Vision, well this was one of those I didn't know if I was going to like it or not, but living in Mississippi we have a Federal Highway called the Natchez Trace Parkway. There are no lights, and it cuts through some very rural areas. We have counted more than 80 deer in one night in a 63 mile section I drive sometimes. The night vision system is great, it can spot and alert you to something on or close to the road well before you can identify it even with these LED Headlamps. It has been a real bumper saver. Many many many times it has popped up the deer alert for me in the night and allowed me to slow down to be able to avoid hitting one. And on Halloween night it helped me see kids all dressed in black!

We have such a problem with white tail deer in this state that they now allow baiting deer in to be shot during the season as long as you are 100 yards out from the bait, they also took away the "Doe Day's" to allow shooting of Doe's full season.

There are other reasons I like the night vision, my son can no longer lie to me about that he has been home all night. When I pull up I can see his tires are still hot from driving

If you live out in a non lit or dark area you can see if someone is lurking and hiding.

You can see cop cars that are trying to hide with their lights off.

OK, I get it, $2300.00 could be better spent on something else. But who else has night vision in a vehicle that can alert you to so much danger????

One thing does drive me batty though.... Why do I have to wait for 3 window washes for the headlights and night vision camera to be cleaned??? Why do I not have a button to clean the lamps and camera on their own??
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #22
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Would have added:

-Harmon Kardon
-Executive Package

but opted for the 50i engine instead
Appreciate 0