BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
jason7391
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jet Black E92 M3

Help Random Stalling

Hopefully you guys can help me out with my issues, heres my story:

I just purchased my M and have been enjoying every day of it. Recently the car has started to have a strange idle. I noticed it occurs after fueling quite often but it also happens when the fuel gets low. The rpms go from about 700 to 500 and back and forth. Sometimes it will drop as low as 200 and start to shake until it revs back up. Other times the idle doesn't bounce around at all, it just drops to zero and the car shuts off with no strange noises or shakes.

The other day I made the mistake of fueling the car while it was running which made the car rev up by itself and then go into limp mode. The car has been to the dealer a few times and at first when I told them about it going into limp mode they said it is because the computer thought there was a leak in the system. However, when they looked at the codes in the computer there was no codes for a leak, only codes for a miss-fire on all 8 cylinders at the same time.

The car has been at the dealer more than once for a total of about 11 days. I do believe the dealer is trying to help me out however, they cannot make the car stall and they have no idea what the codes about the miss-fire are for. They think it is related to fuel pressure and have been driving the car with an external fuel pressure gauge attached but haven't found anything abnormal.

What do you guys think it could be and what should I do?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Do some research on the idle control valve as the symptoms you're describing match that of a failing ICV.
      08-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
jason7391
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Do some research on the idle control valve as the symptoms you're describing match that of a failing ICV.
I have looked into a failing idle control valve and a purge valve but the dealer doesn't want to replace anything until they know exactly what it is. Is there any way to prove that it is either of these? I also should mention my warranty is about to end so I am hoping it gets fixed before it does.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #4
M3an V8
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Alpine Weiss

My dealer was the same when my ICV was failing, didn't even want to scan the car unless its in limp mode. So I bought the part and replaced it myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
R_lara
First Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E90 2009 M3 Ess VT2650, F30 33

The icv can be cleaned I had same issues. Got some oil sludge out of there and she idled like day one.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #6
USCTROJANSFIGHTON
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car. Vrooom.

Purge Valve

Same issues
Fuel Tank Breather............. Gone.. no more stalling after fueling
When i get a chance, i will upload my work order

part # 13-90-7-838-281 Fuel tank breahter
16-12-1-180-240 clamp

Last edited by USCTROJANSFIGHTON; 08-22-2015 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason7391 View Post
Hopefully you guys can help me out with my issues, heres my story:

I just purchased my M and have been enjoying every day of it. Recently the car has started to have a strange idle. I noticed it occurs after fueling quite often but it also happens when the fuel gets low. The rpms go from about 700 to 500 and back and forth. Sometimes it will drop as low as 200 and start to shake until it revs back up. Other times the idle doesn't bounce around at all, it just drops to zero and the car shuts off with no strange noises or shakes.

The other day I made the mistake of fueling the car while it was running which made the car rev up by itself and then go into limp mode. The car has been to the dealer a few times and at first when I told them about it going into limp mode they said it is because the computer thought there was a leak in the system. However, when they looked at the codes in the computer there was no codes for a leak, only codes for a miss-fire on all 8 cylinders at the same time.

The car has been at the dealer more than once for a total of about 11 days. I do believe the dealer is trying to help me out however, they cannot make the car stall and they have no idea what the codes about the miss-fire are for. They think it is related to fuel pressure and have been driving the car with an external fuel pressure gauge attached but haven't found anything abnormal.

What do you guys think it could be and what should I do?
I have the same problems and my car has been t the dealership for 33 days. Ironically, my factory warranty expires mid-Sept like yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
jason7391
Private
United_States
Rep

Sorry, forgot to post on here my outcome at the dealer. They said they couldn't figure out what the problem was with the car but they noticed the last time the car was serviced there that they forgot to change the spark plugs so they changed them. They also said that the intake manifold was slightly loose so they tightened it up. I've had the car back for a little bit and it hasn't had any issues or acted up so I'm not questioning what was wrong with it. Hopefully it stays on its good behavior.
Appreciate 0