Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Stock Exhaust Valve Mod different sounds

Has anyone noticed the stock exhaust with the valve mode sounds different in sport then sport +? I would like to find out why. It's more metallic specially at high rpms in sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
buildbright
Major
Rep

Guess not.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Guess not.
Hmm. I have stock exhaust and use the Burger can flap. When set to open (which should basically be the same as the valve mod), I can't say that I've noticed a difference in sound between sport and sport+ and I do switch back and forth quite a bit.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
///M Villain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

Quote:
Has anyone noticed the stock exhaust with the valve mode sounds different in sport then sport +? I would like to find out why. It's more metallic specially at high rpms in sport.
Odd you post this, because a few days ago, I decided to not run everything in sports+. I went with sport and D3. And when I drove off it sounded very different, as in deeper. Once I noticed it I than floored it a few times from a stop and rasp wasn't really there at all. I have 10k miles on my exhaust and it's fully stock with the flap mod controller.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Villain View Post
Odd you post this, because a few days ago, I decided to not run everything in sports+. I went with sport and D3. And when I drove off it sounded very different, as in deeper. Once I noticed it I than floored it a few times from a stop and rasp wasn't really there at all. I have 10k miles on my exhaust and it's fully stock with the flap mod controller.
I knew it. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

I read somewhere that the valves in sport and sport+ are not fully open the whole time .. with the valve mode they just all the time 100% open which I guess makes the diffrence.
      08-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
///M Villain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

The pitch gets deeper and sluggish in comfort mode with flaps open. So it's like the flow of exhaust gas changes the sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #8
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott13 View Post
Hmm. I have stock exhaust and use the Burger can flap. When set to open (which should basically be the same as the valve mod), I can't say that I've noticed a difference in sound between sport and sport+ and I do switch back and forth quite a bit.

Scott

Scott,

I was looking at the BMS OBDII Can flap module. Is this the one you are running? How do you like it? Was it hard to install/configure? Where do you tuck all that cable away (so to speak)? Can you take a picture of it - how it looks installed on the OBD port?

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 06:13 AM   #9
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
Scott,

I was looking at the BMS OBDII Can flap module. Is this the one you are running? How do you like it? Was it hard to install/configure? Where do you tuck all that cable away (so to speak)? Can you take a picture of it - how it looks installed on the OBD port?

Thanks!
Yep. That's the one. LOVE it. Stock exhaust sounds much better with valves always open, but really like having the ability to easily close valves for a quieter start. Cold start is REALLY loud with valves open.

Ridiculously easy to install. Took maybe 2 min, if that--just plug it in and tuck in the cable. It's really easy to hide the wire on the run back to the seat. Will try and take a picture later today and post or PM it to you.

Scott
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #10
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Yep. That's the one. LOVE it. Stock exhaust sounds much better with valves always open, but really like having the ability to easily close valves for a quieter start. Cold start is REALLY loud with valves open.

Ridiculously easy to install. Took maybe 2 min, if that--just plug it in and tuck in the cable. It's really easy to hide the wire on the run back to the seat. Will try and take a picture later today and post or PM it to you.

Scott
Scott,

Thanks so much for the prompt reply! When you say hide the wire on the run back to the seat does this mean along the door sill? Can it be tucked under the dash?

Looking forward to the picture(s).

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
Scott,

Thanks so much for the prompt reply! When you say hide the wire on the run back to the seat does this mean along the door sill? Can it be tucked under the dash?

Looking forward to the picture(s).
Yep. I tuck the wire under the door sill. You just kind of push on the wire and it hides itself up under the sill. Very easy and it's pretty stealthy--very hard to notice the wire (see pics). Then just leave the small controller box sit under the seat. There's plenty of room for it.

Not sure about tucking up under the dash. Seems possible, but don't know for sure without dropping the lower dash panel to see how much room is up there for the extra wire plus the controller box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #12
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Yep. I tuck the wire under the door sill. You just kind of push on the wire and it hides itself up under the sill. Very easy and it's pretty stealthy--very hard to notice the wire (see pics). Then just leave the small controller box sit under the seat. There's plenty of room for it.

Not sure about tucking up under the dash. Seems possible, but don't know for sure without dropping the lower dash panel to see how much room is up there for the extra wire plus the controller box.
Scott, Thanks so much for taking the time to take and post the pics. It seems very unobtrusive. I saw the video at BMS and the controller has other options built in like brightening the angel eyes and turning your gas gauge into a turbo boost meter. Have you tried those yet?

Again Thanks for the pics, I think I am definitely ordering this!

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I have not done the valve mod, so I can only speculate.

Two things come to mind: ASD and waste-gates.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0