BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

04-13-2015, 01:17 AM   #1
RoshDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 / 991 / Tundra

Front sway bar or SS brake lines

Hello all,

I have a $75 gift card to Stillen (aftermarket parts store) and they don't sell much for the M3. There's only two products that I would consider.

An Eibach front sway bar:
http://www.stillen.com/product/sway-...10-136030.html

Or

Goodridge SS brake line kit:
http://www.stillen.com/product/brake...-1m-38722.html

Do front sway bars make much of a difference on these cars? Should I save some money and go with the brake lines instead? I've searched and it seems neither of these are really important mods, but hey it can't hurt.

Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

If your on stock suspension don't bother with the sway bar it should be the last item to added when doing your suspension. I would go with the brake lines.
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Id go with the SS lines too...if you haven't touched your suspension but still want to upgrade the sway bar id look into an E93 M3 sway bar
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
RoshDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome that's actually what I wanted to hear since the lines are much cheaper. Plus the brakes are one of the weaker components on the car, so any upgrade there is well worth it.

Thanks again guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshDawg View Post
Awesome that's actually what I wanted to hear since the lines are much cheaper. Plus the brakes are one of the weaker components on the car, so any upgrade there is well worth it.

Thanks again guys.
Leave your stock sway bar alone, if your suspension is stock.
SS lines will not change anything performance wise, and i dont think its an upgrade at all. Speaking from my experience and others. If you do install them, be ready to bleed your brakes many, many times, as any time you open up the caliper, it introduces a lot of air in the system.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Leave your stock sway bar alone, if your suspension is stock.
SS lines will not change anything performance wise, and i dont think its an upgrade at all. Speaking from my experience and others. If you do install them, be ready to bleed your brakes many, many times, as any time you open up the caliper, it introduces a lot of air in the system.
A bigger front swaybar is a great upgrade on these cars, as many here can attest, though I wouldn't go for the Eibach bar. But this is one of those situations where if you have to ask you're better off leaving it alone. I'm surprised you can't buy a full range of "SS brake lines" from kalecoauto.com, it's just about as big a waste of time as money to do these as adding an o-pipe or upgrading blinker fluid. Now, if you're already changing out a caliper and going to open the system, fine, go for it, they're often cheaper than OEM anyway
      04-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
RoshDawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
A bigger front swaybar is a great upgrade on these cars, as many here can attest, though I wouldn't go for the Eibach bar. But this is one of those situations where if you have to ask you're better off leaving it alone. I'm surprised you can't buy a full range of "SS brake lines" from kalecoauto.com, it's just about as big a waste of time as money to do these as adding an o-pipe or upgrading blinker fluid. Now, if you're already changing out a caliper and going to open the system, fine, go for it, they're often cheaper than OEM anyway
Ah screw it. I don't track my car and suspension is stock and flushing the brakes or spending extra on a sway bar is really not gonna do me much good. Also don't have need for pads that they offer as I have extended maintainence too. I'm just gonna get some weather tech floor mats lol. Exciting stuff I know.

Thanks anyways for the help.

Last edited by RoshDawg; 04-13-2015 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

I would have voted sway bar over stainless steel brake lines but not the bar you chose. I'm trying to figure out if waiting for Dinan's yearly sale for 15% off a $500 bar is worth the wait or just pull the trigger. Disclosure -- I'm not much of a Dinan fan boy as their stuff is generally over-priced but the other option, RDSport, has it's own issues.
      04-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
I would have voted sway bar over stainless steel brake lines but not the bar you chose. I'm trying to figure out if waiting for Dinan's yearly sale for 15% off a $500 bar is worth the wait or just pull the trigger. Disclosure -- I'm not much of a Dinan fan boy as their stuff is generally over-priced but the other option, RDSport, has it's own issues.
Turners website says an E93 M3 sway bar is a mild upgrade, assuming you don't have A vert already and it's a pretty cheap upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

While I have an adjustable H&R on another car, the absence of adjustment option is a big turn off. Like many upgrades, one rate will not suit all surfaces when I talking about competition. Low grip surfaces will want less bar and very high grip surfaces may require more. Ultimately, as I move to DA shocks, this will be less of an issue but for now, it is.
      04-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

E93 bar is also nowhere near as stiff as the Dinan or RDSport bar. It has a neck in the middle.