European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Active sound disappeared when aftermarket exhaust was installed

Got an Akrapovic slip on installed friday. Active sound is gone. I didn't ask them to mess with active sound, and they didn't mention that they gad. Very strange. Weird thing is. ... I really despised it at first. Now I miss it. Forcing me to actually have to look at my tach. Anyone hear of this happening? I got titanium tips BTW..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
well this is a first... I must also admit that I do like the active sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Had a guy tell me the same when I attended a local cars & coffee I went to this season. He codes for people so I was curious and I asked him what do most people change their minds on after having their cars re-coded, he said Active Sound deactivation, himself included. After about a week, he gets a call asking if he was going to be around the next gathering? Looks like BMW got its subliminals right!
      01-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Well dagnabbit. If my guy doesn't know how he deactivated it he probably has not a clue how to reactivate it. Akrapovic totally eliminated my rattle. Bmw had tried to tell me it wasn't the exhaust but the wastegate that was causing the metallic rattle. It was clear as day it was coming from the muffler, but I had better things to do than stand and argue with the "expert". Love the Akrapovic BTW..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
Well dagnabbit. If my guy doesn't know how he deactivated it he probably has not a clue how to reactivate it. Akrapovic totally eliminated my rattle. Bmw had tried to tell me it wasn't the exhaust but the wastegate that was causing the metallic rattle. It was clear as day it was coming from the muffler, but I had better things to do than stand and argue with the "expert". Love the Akrapovic BTW..
That's interesting as I heard the rattle was due to some small pebbles in the wheels getting caught in the brakes. Good to know a definitive answer to this I was very curious. I wonder if the M performance Exhaust will get rid of the noise also?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
That's interesting as I heard the rattle was due to some small pebbles in the wheels getting caught in the brakes. Good to know a definitive answer to this I was very curious. I wonder if the M performance Exhaust will get rid of the noise also?
That's a separate rattle I think. It seems there are two camps of people who have the grinding/rattling sounds and one is exhaust related and the other is the pebbles/rocks in the dust covers behind the wheels. I had the dust cover rattle myself and fixed it by bending the shields slightly.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
That's a separate rattle I think. It seems there are two camps of people who have the grinding/rattling sounds and one is exhaust related and the other is the pebbles/rocks in the dust covers behind the wheels. I had the dust cover rattle myself and fixed it by bending the shields slightly.
Oh ok thanks for the clarification.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Almost impossible puting a slip on would eliminate active sound
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
Why did you decide on slip on vs evolution?

Is it that much better than stock to just do the slip on only?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
YMB_F80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
My active sound is gone, but I did a full change. Either that or my exhaust is too damn loud and can't hear anything in the cabin LOL

Instagram: YMB_F80
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorwu120 View Post
My active sound is gone, but I did a full change. Either that or my exhaust is too damn loud and can't hear anything in the cabin LOL
still waiting for a vid of your set up :roll eyes:

OP AS would have to be coded off IMO. I don't see any other way that it would happen otherwise but then again I am not a coder so I could be wrong. Either way as long as you are happy with it thats all that matters! PS I have my AS coded off, really hard to tell if its off or on before I added DPs. I drove with AS on and off couldn't 100% say I could tell a difference.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #12
YMB_F80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
still waiting for a vid of your set up :roll eyes:

OP AS would have to be coded off IMO. I don't see any other way that it would happen otherwise but then again I am not a coder so I could be wrong. Either way as long as you are happy with it thats all that matters! PS I have my AS coded off, really hard to tell if its off or on before I added DPs. I drove with AS on and off couldn't 100% say I could tell a difference.
Sighh no real video yet, but someone caught me leaving a event this past weekend haha!! Check it out. http://instagram.com/p/yBmq2wmzEZ/?modal=true Its actually louder in person.

Instagram: YMB_F80
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:31 AM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorwu120 View Post
Sighh no real video yet, but someone caught me leaving a event this past weekend haha!! Check it out. http://instagram.com/p/yBmq2wmzEZ/?modal=true Its actually louder in person.
ok seems about the same level of volume as mine with valves open (123-125 db is what mine tested at). I think the cars can only get so loud lol. Straight pipe is straight pipe which is CRAZY LOUD! lol I rarely drive with my valves open now its just to loud, but nice to have every once in a while when you want to draw some attention

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #14
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

I think this thread just completely vindicated BMW's decision to add in Active Sound.

I think it's a massive placebo effect. If no-one told you that there was such a thing as Active Sound, you wouldn't come up with it on your own.

The fact that changing the exhaust has made you think Active Sound coded itself off (impossible, I'm sure) just goes to show how "in your head" this whole debacle is

Past: 2009 Ibis White S5 (APR Supercharged V8)
Past: 2004 Imola Red M3 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:02 AM   #15
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Hi all. Op here. I got the slipon versus full evolution because I really didn't want significantly louder. My original exhaust had a metallic rattle that I grew increasingly annoyed by. As I stated earlier, starting the car was embarrassing, it sounded SO cheesy. With my new Akra, things are much quieter overall. I can't be certain that the akra is that much quieter than the original or if active is gone. But I can't hardly hear the engine with the Windows up now, before the exhaust note was always clearly evident- windows up or down, sport or efficient. My original was nicely broken in and my akra is still under 500 miles. But I can't see exhaust break in making that much of a difference. I still love the Akra though, my car doesn't sound like a weedeater anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #16
iamwingman
Major
Rep

BTW. Just to be clear. I'm not suggesting all our 80 and 82's sound like weedeaters. I had a bad/faulty exhaust. Mine should have been replaced by bmw, but I was going to get an akra at some point anyway. So this was easier than spending 6 months fighting with BMW.
Appreciate 0