R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
JLBADBTAB
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6

Engine Issues

I have a M4 (July Build) with 1800 miles. I've had to take the car back to the dealer on two (2) occasions during the last few months because the engine warning lamp (dash) flashed on. After inspection/diagnosis, turbo hoses were found not to be connected properly or not at all, the engine was throwing off "fuel mixture" error codes. Repairing the hose connections was not a big deal so I really was not concerned, although I did wonder. Approximately 3.5 weeks ago, the engine warning lamp flashed on again so I took the car back to the dealer for the third time. The shop foreman took control of the diagnostics/analysis. Since both hoses were connected properly (I suspected perhaps one of the hoses had become disconnected again) he contacted BMW Technical Support and they suggested a software change. I should point out that the M4 has felt sluggish even when the engine warning lamp was not illuminated but I attributed that to break-in, obviously a poor assumption on my part. Well, the software update did NOT fix the issue and the local dealership asked the BMW regional Field Service Engineer to inspect the car. After inspection/diagnostics and troubleshooting a "gas test" was performed on the engine and a faulty "turbo inlet pipe (tube) " was diagnosed to be the issue. The part arrived from Germany a few days ago and was installed on 1/15/15. Unfortunately, the engine is still throwing off fuel mixture faults. BMW Technical Support now thinks we may have bad "cylinder head" but the Shop Foreman will confirm that with BMW on 1/18/15. So, three (3) weeks have elapsed and no resolution....I'm still without my M4. The local dealer (Seattle BMW) has been great....they have been proactive and keep me apprised of new developments. Obviously, I'm very concerned about the engine and it's overall reliability even after this issue is hopefully resolved in the next few weeks. I've owned several M3's (E30, E36, E92) and a few M5's/M6's so I am a strong BMW supporter BUT I am really concerned here. Just sharing this post to keep folks informed. Hopefully, these issues have been addressed with later builds.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

2nd cylinder head problem we have heard. Scary and we all wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

OP...this is yet another report regarding a quality control issue for the M4. Is it possible that the build plant location for the M4 (Munich) may have some intrinsic issues? I have seen/heard few problems with the F80 which is built in Regensburg.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

Check PM.
Appreciate 0