proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Check Engine Light On - Control Messages Say "All Systems OK"?

Today for the first time I saw the Check Engine light come on. When I went to Check Control Messages - the display said "All Systems OK." The car drives totally normal - aside from the Check Engine light being on - I would have no idea anything might be wrong...

I know that for cars in general, the Check Engine light will come on if you have not closed the gasoline cap tightly and then start up the engine. However, in this case, the cap was closed all the way - so this clearly wasn't the issue.

What's funny is a friend of mine recently drove a brand new X5 rental and had the exact same issue. Weather conditions were the same - near zero temperatures and snowing. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not...

Any ideas? I'm going to bring the car into the service department when I get the chance - but just curious if anyone has had this issue happen to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:29 AM   #2
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Cel doesn't trigger control ssystem message all the time. Cel is an emissions code typically. Anything from gas cap, o2 sensor or anything causing combustion to be off. 0retty wide range
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 03:27 AM   #3
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Today for the first time I saw the Check Engine light come on. When I went to Check Control Messages - the display said "All Systems OK." The car drives totally normal - aside from the Check Engine light being on - I would have no idea anything might be wrong...

I know that for cars in general, the Check Engine light will come on if you have not closed the gasoline cap tightly and then start up the engine. However, in this case, the cap was closed all the way - so this clearly wasn't the issue.

What's funny is a friend of mine recently drove a brand new X5 rental and had the exact same issue. Weather conditions were the same - near zero temperatures and snowing. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not...

Any ideas? I'm going to bring the car into the service department when I get the chance - but just curious if anyone has had this issue happen to them.
I tried this too. Mine was a "Catalytic converter ineffective" probably because I drive a de-cat DP. Cleared it with my mobile and have not seen it since.
Attached Images

01-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Yeah, P0420 is a common one for anyone who has went with catless downpipes. I think P0430 is the companion for bank 2, or it might be P0410.
      01-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

BTW my car is bone stock - service department said there was nothing wrong - sometimes something just triggers the check engine light and all of the diagnostics show that everything is just fine. Have driven car several times since leaving service department and check engine light has not come back on...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide

This happened to me. It was the gas cap not being screwed on perfect. I fixed it and the light went away in a few hours.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0