Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

01-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
SZKGRY
Rep
Drives: BMW 535

Individual Colors

Does anyone know if I will be able to order a paint sample of an individual color before I commit to the order?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

probably not unless that particular BMW center had the swatches from previous models (i.e. hellrot, fire orange, etc). Also some dealerships have "individual" sections or displays to show you your options.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Vinsanity12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Judging by your name I wonder if you are looking for Suzuka Gray. If so BMW offers their version of that color (a bit lighter than audi)

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZKGRY View Post
Does anyone know if I will be able to order a paint sample of an individual color before I commit to the order?
From my experience (doing BMW individual exterior right now, started as full custom color) they were going to research the paint, spray a sample, and send it off to my dealer for approval by me. **From what I hear (Ringmeister), this is not typical in that if they are able to successfully match the color (to their satisfaction, not yours), you pay the R&D fee regardless of how you like the color.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZKGRY View Post
I always found that the color on a sample piece of paper, and the color on a car body, are two different viewing experiences. Translating one into the other is an art form in and of itself.

The only way I would ever order and individual exterior color is if I saw it in person on someone else's car in different lighting conditions, and liked it.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
From my experience (doing BMW individual exterior right now, started as full custom color) they were going to research the paint, spray a sample, and send it off to my dealer for approval by me. **From what I hear (Ringmeister), this is not typical in that if they are able to successfully match the color (to their satisfaction, not yours), you pay the R&D fee regardless of how you like the color.
Curious as to what individual color you're speccing if you'd share. Also, are you able to start the process of doing the BMW order this far out for a 2016 model? What delivery timeframe are you targeting?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Curious as to what individual color you're speccing if you'd share. Also, are you able to start the process of doing the BMW order this far out for a 2016 model? What delivery timeframe are you targeting?
Unfortunately nothing that exciting.. I started out with a (very) exotic and difficult color from McLaren (see other thread) but after some research, BMW came back and said they can't/won't replicate the 6 layer paint. Anyway, I thought of some other colors (in the metallic red category) but my wife overruled me (already have one metallic red car) and I am going with my backup color: Singapore Grey. I could try being fancy and specing Graphite Grey Pearl from Lexus, or a Lambo grey, or other completely unique graphite metallic, but I think Singapore is exactly what I want, so might as well do it. Unfortunately, it isn't a completely unique color as it is a standard color on M5/6's. However, I refuse to buy an M3/4 with the current color palette (well, I wouldn't be very happy at least, knowing I could have done a better/custom color) so that's my only option.

Yes, you can start the paint approval process way in advance (I started last October), but Singapore is guaranteed as its in the BMW palette (no R&D needed) so the dealer is plugging the order in the second 2016 orders open... so delivery as soon as possible (hopefully summer? but not sure when the orders actually open up)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #8
teazr1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TBD

What kind of price are you looking at for a standard BMW color that's just not offered? Is it $5K or more reasonable?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Vinsanity12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by teazr1 View Post
What kind of price are you looking at for a standard BMW color that's just not offered? Is it $5K or more reasonable?
From what I have heard it is 5k for an individual color. That is a color that they offer or have offered in the past on other models. A completely custom color cost can vary if it is at all possible.

My question is if you order a custom color after someone else has already done it. If so the R&D would have been done already so I would hope it is the 5k.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity12 View Post
From what I have heard it is 5k for an individual color. That is a color that they offer or have offered in the past on other models. A completely custom color cost can vary if it is at all possible.

My question is if you order a custom color after someone else has already done it. If so the R&D would have been done already so I would hope it is the 5k.
Correct.. that is my understanding. After they have done the R&D and it is put on someone elses car, it is now considered "part of the BMW Historical Palette" and therefore costs only $5k
Appreciate 0