GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Magnaflow or Flowmaster Dual Individual Mufflers on M4?

On the E92 M3, there were a few members who went the route of installing individual mufflers for an axleback exhaust with great results. Here is a picture of one such set-up:

I am wondering if anybody on here has done this or know if it's possible to do the same style on the F82 M4? Here is a picture of the stock F82 M4 below. I am thinking of cutting the stock system at the red circles and proceeding with the above.

Let me know what you exhaust experts think to see if it's possible.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Of course it's possible... You dont have to buy a name brand exhaust you know? At the end of the day, all exhausts are simply metal piping, mufflers (metal cans, baffles and packing) and tips.

If you dont want to retain the valving control, the above pictured setup would run you about $400 from any muffler shop.

Not every car needs a $50k akrapovic exhaust.

That being said, the above pictured exhaust is an absolute disaster. Any competent muffler shop should be able to do a much neater job than that!!!

Past: 2009 Ibis White S5 (APR Supercharged V8)
Past: 2004 Imola Red M3 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
MasterC17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merli View Post
That being said, the above pictured exhaust is an absolute disaster. Any competent muffler shop should be able to do a much neater job than that!!!
+1 Those welds are disgusting.
      12-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you dont want to retain the valving control, the above pictured setup would run you about $400 from any muffler shop.

Just for reference if I ever do want to go this route. Based on this pic below, where is the valving control?

I understand that it opens and closes the valves to differentiate flow for different sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Before you cut anything off a $70k car, what are you trying to accomplish? Louder sound or more performance?

First off, you're not going to gain any power with any after market muffler (some $6k exhaust manufacturer claim 1 or 2HP gains, whoopie doo).

If you want deeper and louder sound: Do the OEM exhaust valve mod (unplug the valve when they're in sport+ mode and the car is off). If you're really brave with welding, take out the cat converter on your 2 DPs and re-weld the O2 sensor bungs. Catless DPs will get you more power (15-20hp / more with JB4) and more sound with stock exhaust.

Another option is open the OEM muffler and de-perforate the internal piping. No one reported to do this on the forum yet. That will give you a straight pipe sound w/ OEM looking muffler.

IMO, I would never weld those hideous looking flowmasters on a new M3. The OEM exhaust looks 100x better.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post

What the fuck happened to the welds? Is that molton metal dog shit spread around the piping?

Anywho, here is the stock exhaust:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
karbonphiber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-100 nga real quick View Post
What the fuck happened to the welds? Is that molton metal dog shit spread around the piping?
ghetto mods
      12-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Before you cut anything off a $70k car, what are you trying to accomplish? Louder sound or more performance?

First off, you're not going to gain any power with any after market muffler (some $6k exhaust manufacturer claim 1 or 2HP gains, whoopie doo).

If you want deeper and louder sound: Do the OEM exhaust valve mod (unplug the valve when they're in sport+ mode and the car is off). If you're really brave with welding, take out the cat converter on your 2 DPs and re-weld the O2 sensor bungs. Catless DPs will get you more power (15-20hp / more with JB4) and more sound with stock exhaust.

Another option is open the OEM muffler and de-perforate the internal piping. No one reported to do this on the forum yet. That will give you a straight pipe sound w/ OEM looking muffler.

IMO, I would never weld those hideous looking flowmasters on a new M3. The OEM exhaust looks 100x better.
Good advice here...

Another thing to add is if you do plan on going down the custom exhaust route (again, absolutely NOTHING wrong with that), I would suggest not hacking up your OEM exhaust to extract the vavles to weld into your new custom exhaust.

That kind of stuff is pretty irreversible and would limit your ability to return the car to stock.

Don't do thing half-arsed. Either go the cheap custom exhaust route with a cheap non-valved setup, or get a beautifully crafted branded exhaust.

I wouldn't suggest trying to create your own valved exhaust setup.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Different muffler versions make for slightly different sound, which means such a mod might make your car sound better (or worse).

But, apart from quality of sound, why would you want to replace the stock system that is valved so that you have muffled exhaust when valve is closed and essentially straight pipe when valve is open? With the setup you referred to you end up with a constantly muffled exhaust... It might be a bit louder than the stock exhaust when that is in muffled mode (valve closed), but quieter than the open valved stock exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I am strictly going for louder sound, not performance. The performance gains on a catback or full exhaust is not worth the cost IMO.

I've heard my fair share of E92 M3 exhausts in real life (from Akra, Gintani, OEM exhaust mod, the Magnaflow) and I am literally just looking for the quickest, shortest, cheapest route to achieve a more aggressive, louder sound.

Even the stock exhaust with open valves at WOT is still not as loud/aggressive as I would like so the OEM valve mod is not an option for me. I am not interested in messing with the DPs and re-welding the O2 bungs and also de-perforating the internals of the OEM muffler. I have seen the latter on the E92 M3 and the results weren't worth the hassle. I can't imagine it being any better on the F82 M4.

Do you really like the look of the OEM exhaust muffler just protruding from underneath? I think it looks out of place.

Quote:
Good advice here...

Another thing to add is if you do plan on going down the custom exhaust route (again, absolutely NOTHING wrong with that), I would suggest not hacking up your OEM exhaust to extract the vavles to weld into your new custom exhaust.

That kind of stuff is pretty irreversible and would limit your ability to return the car to stock.

Don't do thing half-arsed. Either go the cheap custom exhaust route with a cheap non-valved setup, or get a beautifully crafted branded exhaust.

I wouldn't suggest trying to create your own valved exhaust setup.
Noooo, I do not plan re-using the valves so I will definitely not hack up the OEM system to modify in to the custom set-up. And yes you bring up a good point. If I want to return back to stock, I can easily just swap. I have made up my mind and will be going the non-valved set up to see how it will sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep

Get your local muffler shop to fabricate a straight through, un-muffled exhaust then.

Show them pictures of TPG's "race exhaust" and get them to custom make it for about $1000. It won't be as nicely fabricated and the welds probably won't be as nicely executed and it might have welding dags all up inside it, but hey.... it'll be cheap and loud!

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1052724

Appreciate 1
      12-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Get your local muffler shop to fabricate a straight through, un-muffled exhaust then.

Show them pictures of TPG's "race exhaust" and get them to custom make it for about $1000. It won't be as nicely fabricated and the welds probably won't be as nicely executed and it might have welding dags all up inside it, but hey.... it'll be cheap and loud!

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1052724

lol jesus, that must be loud. I don't think I want to go THAT loud but that is an interesting set-up with the straight pipes. I will probably go with something similar to this but utilize individual mufflers (haven't decided on which company yet) to tone it down a bit. If OEM stock sound is a 4 on the loud scale and this picture looks to be a 10, I am aiming for about a 7 or 8.

Thank you all for your insight!

Last edited by Ghetto2315; 12-22-2014 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #13
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Magnaflow
Attached Images

SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #14
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
lol jesus, that must be loud. I don't think I want to go THAT loud but that is an interesting set-up with the straight pipes. I will probably go with something similar to this but utilize individual mufflers (haven't decided on which company yet) to tone it down a bit. If OEM stock sound is a 4 on the loud scale and this picture looks to be a 10, I am aiming for about a 7 or 8.

Thank you all for your insight!
If you retain the mid-cats and not messing with the DPs, they're not as loud as you think to eliminate the stock muffler. Especially we have turbo engine. When our exhaust valves open, it's essentially bypassing the muffler (close to not having a muffler). Just see the photo above of the OEM muffler diagram (0-100 shared that).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you retain the mid-cats and not messing with the DPs, they're not as loud as you think to eliminate the stock muffler. Especially we have turbo engine. When our exhaust valves open, it's essentially bypassing the muffler (close to not having a muffler). Just see the photo above of the OEM muffler diagram (0-100 shared that).
Ahhh I see what you're saying now (with the help of 0-100's picture). I watched the video that TPG Tuning posted and it sounds great with the straight pipes but I worry that it'll still be too loud, especially at cold start-up. I don't want to piss off my neighbors every time I leave for work at 8-AM. For now, I think I am set on going the TPG straight pipe route but throwing on individual mufflers on each side (not like the picture that TMR posted above of the single Magnaflow in the center and retaining the valves) to tone it down a bit for the sake of my neighbors.

Thank you for the help!

EDIT: Or something like this on the bottom right. Please excuse my 1-min shoddy editing lol:

Last edited by Ghetto2315; 12-23-2014 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
Magnaflow

TMR, what Part # for the Magnaflow Muffler did you use?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
PokGuy
The Ma of all E90's
Rep
Drives: the neighbors craaazzzyy!

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
TMR, what Part # for the Magnaflow Muffler did you use?

Thank you!
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1414823858
I think I'd go with the 12599

and I was thinking of doing the same thing you photochopped lol. I did with it a 328i and it came out good. I just need to find a way to have that muffler shop touch the 2ndary cats because they won't touch it since it's against the law or something. I wanted them to do a full 3" mandrel pipping from the DP to the mufflers and just throwing in the 12599 muffler and buying some 3" tips from cyba for $150 and tada. Exhaust for $700. I know another muffler shop that will take out the 2ndary cats but he keeps them LOL. Maybe I'll have a mechanic shop just take out the stock midpipe and drive the car without it slowly to the muffler shop and have them build me one there
      12-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #18
djhex36
Mr. Fluffy
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW/BLK M4

Quote:
Ahhh I see what you're saying now (with the help of 0-100's picture). I watched the video that TPG Tuning posted and it sounds great with the straight pipes but I worry that it'll still be too loud, especially at cold start-up. I don't want to piss off my neighbors every time I leave for work at 8-AM. For now, I think I am set on going the TPG straight pipe route but throwing on individual mufflers on each side (not like the picture that TMR posted above of the single Magnaflow in the center and retaining the valves) to tone it down a bit for the sake of my neighbors.

Thank you for the help!

EDIT: Or something like this on the bottom right. Please excuse my 1-min shoddy editing lol:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=70

Has just the muffler delete. Sounds pretty good. Stock dp's and secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhex36 View Post
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=70

Has just the muffler delete. Sounds pretty good. Stock dp's and secondary cats.
Does sound good. Sounds just like the very first video in this thread. I think I am still going with a an aggressive muffler to tone it down just a tad and control some drone.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #20
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokGuy View Post

I don't think 12599 would work, would it? I know that Muffler is a Dual in/Dual Out, which means it goes in 2 pipes on the same side and exits the 2 pipes on the other side. If you look at the photoshopped picture, how would that work if it's supposed to go in and out the same side?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #21
PokGuy
The Ma of all E90's
Rep
Drives: the neighbors craaazzzyy!

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't think 12599 would work, would it? I know that Muffler is a Dual in/Dual Out, which means it goes in 2 pipes on the same side and exits the 2 pipes on the other side. If you look at the photoshopped picture, how would that work if it's supposed to go in and out the same side?
well which ever model you pick whether it's 12599, 12568, or 12569, they still use a x-pipe and I believe it should work shouldn't it? like the photoshop picture you showed us, the 2 pipes would connect to the bottom of the X and come out of the top of the X just how you like it I believe
      12-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #22
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Just get catless downpipes, no point in fiddling with the rear section.
Appreciate 0