Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

F8x crappy exhaust note and how to improve

ok so Ive installed a full Akra Evo system to my M4 and also fitted the AR catless downpipes and its obnoxiously loud.

Ive since taken off the DP's and the Akra on its own is now too soft and I want a bit more. Im thinking hi flow catted downpipes may be the answer, BUT...even with the OEM system, you get that farty sound when you jump off the accelerator when driving hard and its sounds worse with the Akra and totally embarrassing with the Cat-less downpipes added to the mix.

Im thinking that the issue is caused when the valve flaps open and was wondering if we could just close them and run the system like that? The Awron gauge has a feature to close the flaps permanently or open when desired but Im wondering if this will create the fix Im looking for without sacrificing hp? I wouldn't think it would rob HP since the silencer isn't restrictive and shouldn't restrict airflow to the point of robbing hp.

The Akra + ER set up sounded unbelievable at idle and low revs, and just fucked up loud when the valves opened after 4k. When the valves are kept closed it sounds great and also illuminates that ridiculous fart sound (which is amplified like african thunder cracks with the ER DP's)

All thoughts and comments eagerly awaited as this is driving me nuts as Ive got my ER DP's sitting wrapped in plastic on my garage floor
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

please go to an ENT doctor .. there is obviously something wrong with your ears!
      12-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

I can't wait to get my shit-sounding OEM exhaust off.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

The exhaust on this car is tough. I have yet to hear anything that really improves the exhaust note, instead of just making the crappy note louder. The only exhaust that shows promise is the Active Autowerke. It actually gives the exhaust a deeper tone, which this car desperately needs.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

Bob I went thru the same thing. I think the perfect solution is to run the catless downpipes, OEM midpipe, and aftermarket rear.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Easiest and cheapest solution, although it's not 100% perfect but it is 100% better than stock: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1045821
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

I can tell you that downpipes with HFC will clean up the sound for sure compared to a catless downpipe setup. the cats will act like another resonator and eliminate that rasp and unclean sound.

I think it may be worth a try, but you can also try to disable the valves and keep it open to make your current akra sound better at low RPM without the downpipes. that's a free mod, and worth a try to see if you like it.

on the OEM car, disabling the valves makes a WORLD of difference at idle and low RPM. so the same could be true for your current setup (sans downpipes). that's what I would do, then go from there
      12-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
I can tell you that downpipes with HFC will clean up the sound for sure compared to a catless downpipe setup. the cats will act like another resonator and eliminate that rasp and unclean sound.

I think it may be worth a try, but you can also try to disable the valves and keep it open to make your current akra sound better at low RPM without the downpipes. that's a free mod, and worth a try to see if you like it.

on the OEM car, disabling the valves makes a WORLD of difference at idle and low RPM. so the same could be true for your current setup (sans downpipes). that's what I would do, then go from there
Thanks bro I'm agreeing with what you have said. Reckon the AFE hi flow catted downpipes will make the world of difference and get me the middle of the road sound with extra performance I was originally after with replacing the down pipes.

Will leave the valve as is for now and just wait for the new DP's to arrive.

I do however think the Aaron gauge set up is genius as it allows you to control the valve and you can opt to have it open / closed or flexible as per OEM. I had this in my Ferrari CS and it is great

Plus it also gives a fix for the DP's which will probably be an issue even with a high flow 200cpi catted down pipes
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
ok so Ive installed a full Akra Evo system to my M4 and also fitted the AR catless downpipes and its obnoxiously loud.

Ive since taken off the DP's and the Akra on its own is now too soft and I want a bit more. Im thinking hi flow catted downpipes may be the answer, BUT...even with the OEM system, you get that farty sound when you jump off the accelerator when driving hard and its sounds worse with the Akra and totally embarrassing with the Cat-less downpipes added to the mix.

Im thinking that the issue is caused when the valve flaps open and was wondering if we could just close them and run the system like that? The Awron gauge has a feature to close the flaps permanently or open when desired but Im wondering if this will create the fix Im looking for without sacrificing hp? I wouldn't think it would rob HP since the silencer isn't restrictive and shouldn't restrict airflow to the point of robbing hp.

The Akra + ER set up sounded unbelievable at idle and low revs, and just fucked up loud when the valves opened after 4k. When the valves are kept closed it sounds great and also illuminates that ridiculous fart sound (which is amplified like african thunder cracks with the ER DP's)

All thoughts and comments eagerly awaited as this is driving me nuts as Ive got my ER DP's sitting wrapped in plastic on my garage floor
IMO the farts come from the anti-lag feature, no exhaust system will get rid of them. The louder the system, the louder the farts ,
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Well ER mailed me and:

We will be making a high flow metallic catted version in January.

The high flow metallic catted version will be just slightly louder than the factory downpipe an considerably quieter than our catless downpipes. I think this would be the ideal sound for you if you are looking for it to just be a little bid louder than factory

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
WhiteFlashE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GT4, '20 X3M and T3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
The exhaust on this car is tough. I have yet to hear anything that really improves the exhaust note, instead of just making the crappy note louder. The only exhaust that shows promise is the Active Autowerke. It actually gives the exhaust a deeper tone, which this car desperately needs.
Agree
2015 981 GTS, 2013 991.1 C2, 2016 AMG C63S, 2016 M4 Grey Metallic, 2014 SQ5, 2013 Audi RS5 Ibis White, 2012 650i AW, 2008 Merc. C63 AMG, 2011 335i DCT Crimson Red, 2008 E90 AW M3 DCT, 2011 E70 X5 35d, 2005 E46 M3 Convertible, 2007 E90 335i, 2009 Audi A5
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #12
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

OP - Are you saying you have 2 different sets of carless DPs? AR installed and new set of ER? If so, why? Do you expect them to sound any different? Aren't they both carless DP's? A bit confused.

LMK if you sell a set as I want to try something a bit louder.

Thanks!
Wes
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:30 AM   #13
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Howell
OP - Are you saying you have 2 different sets of carless DPs? AR installed and new set of ER? If so, why? Do you expect them to sound any different? Aren't they both carless DP's? A bit confused.

LMK if you sell a set as I want to try something a bit louder.

Thanks!
Wes
I have the ER catless and waiting for either AFE or ER hi flow cat downpipes as the catless are too loud with the Akra set up.

Will sell the catless set
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

record a S65 V8, install a really loud speaker in the trunk pointing out back, sync the sounds with your throttle pedal and baam! everyone around you will think you have a V8
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 03:22 AM   #15
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Air flow on catalytic converters

Check this out..

I reckon the ER downpipes will have 200 cpi which should have good flow and remove some of the unwanted loudness
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #16
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
I have the ER catless and waiting for either AFE or ER hi flow cat downpipes as the catless are too loud with the Akra set up.

Will sell the catless set
Thanks Bob - Feel free to ping me when your set is available.
Appreciate 0