EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
zosoboogie
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4/Silverstone

JB4 vs. Tune

I am reading that many are waiting for someone to crack the code for a tune. But that can take years.
I get that the JB4 is a piggyback however how does it differ from a tune? Are there any negatives for a piggyback over a tune? Is it worth the wait?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

The ECU of the F8x is encrypted and BMW isn't going to share it due to proprietary reason. If they do, it would be only exclusive to Dinan or tuning partners.

You have 2 good choices. JB4 ($800) or Dinan ($2,500). If I were you, I'd stop waiting and go for JB4 + Downpipe + high flow Air Filter. By the time you wait for a tune, a new model M3 will be out. Save the extra cash for a night out or a track day.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
The ECU of the F8x is encrypted and BMW isn't going to share it due to proprietary reason. If they do, it would be only exclusive to Dinan or tuning partners.

You have 2 good choices. JB4 ($800) or Dinan ($2,500). If I were you, I'd stop waiting and go for JB4 + Downpipe + high flow Air Filter. By the time you wait for a tune, a new model M3 will be out.
Nailed it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosoboogie View Post
I am reading that many are waiting for someone to crack the code for a tune. But that can take years.
I get that the JB4 is a piggyback however how does it differ from a tune? Are there any negatives for a piggyback over a tune? Is it worth the wait?
There are many things that are different between a true flash and a piggyback. I'll name a couple:

Main benefits of Flash:
Infinite adjustiblility of fuel
Infinite adjustiblility of timing
Change actual boost parameters (rather than scale)
Negligible install and flash back to stock times

Main benfits of Piggy:
Logging ability
ECU never sees increased numbers over stock (that we know of)
Safe assuming you follow directions
Increase boost

This answer is not scientific, but rather is just a generic one of the main points I have at the moment. My suggestion would be to run both. Many people in the n54/n55 world are having tons of success with that by having the flash do the brunt of the work and having the JB4 logging and controlling other variables such as water/meth injection.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post

You have 2 good choices. JB4 ($800) or Dinan ($2,500). If I were you, I'd stop waiting and go for JB4 + Downpipe + high flow Air Filter. By the time you wait for a tune, a new model M3 will be out. Save the extra cash for a night out or a track day.
Totally.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol

Come on guys... endboss and his crew claim to have already cracked every F series car there is...

albeit not a single word on how its done or whats modified.

12-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Come on guys... endboss and his crew claim to have already cracked every F series car there is...

Yeah. I have a friend who knows of a shop in Romania who cracked the F-Series ECU. They're just finishing up the final touches and will have a big announcement in two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

Yeah. I have a friend who knows of a shop in Romania who cracked the F-Series ECU. They're just finishing up the final touches and will have a big announcement in two weeks.
That's like saying Vargas turbos made power. Wait I said that out loud jk

This is like the fifth company said that already
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
That's like saying Vargas turbos made power. Wait I said that out loud jk

This is like the fifth company said that already

12-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #11
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Isn't there the ESS piggyback as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-100 nga real quick View Post
Isn't there the ESS piggyback as well?
That is correct. You can also add Turner Motorsports' tuning solution to the mix.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #13
z00m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Does any if these piggys open vmax? And as I understand only jb4 has Cel delete option for catless Dp's?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00m View Post
Does any if these piggys open vmax? And as I understand only jb4 has Cel delete option for catless Dp's?
I thought this as well, but then a friend of mine got JB4 the other week and he has a CEL for his DPs.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #15
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I thought this as well, but then a friend of mine got JB4 the other week and he has a CEL for his DPs.
I think it depends what stage you have. Probably have to be tapped into a certain system. But I have heard it should block CEL.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #16
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I think it depends what stage you have. Probably have to be tapped into a certain system. But I have heard it should block CEL.
Set "Future Use D" to "90". Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
See post above or this device will clear the code. It as many features and one of them is preventing CEL for DP mod.

http://europeanautosource.com/awron-...f8x-m3-m4.html

Last edited by JNoSol; 12-09-2014 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #18
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Hey Bud,
Hope your doing well and enjoying that M4.

I have been keeping my eyes on performance upgrades also and have experience with JB4 on my F30.

My research has lead me to a few basic conclusions Ill share below.

I don't see a tune "or flash" being a super popular item for quite awhile. I think the piggybacks are much cheaper and easier to produce, change/update and install (any consumer can install or remove in 5min). Could be proven wrong here any day now with so many people claiming they have the solution, if one comes I would follow its customers for a bit before I jump on that wagon.

Burger and ESS seem to have very good piggyback options.

Burger - seems to have the most power available for a plug and play option. The argument if it's usable power or not seems to be heavily related to the drivers expectation of how much you should need to modulate the throttle to keep the tires planted. They also have many maps available to suite your need or additional mods you may add in the future. It appears they have great customer support and client satisfaction. Not to mention the phone app to allow you to select different maps etc. Only downside I see with JB4 currently is with stage 2 - according to the install guide you need to tap a wire with POSI-TAP connectors. I am not huge fan of this since you will leave evidence of the tune - if worse case happens and you need any dealer work they could find this. I guess many people don't care about this but for me it's worth thinking about.

ESS seems to have a nice option also that appears to be more of a "set it and forget it" tune. Forgive me for the Ronco line there. From what I have read here the goal for ESS is to have a tune that is very usable and not as peaky as others. The only thing I really like here is that you don't need to tap into any existing wiring and it seems that the power delivery would be a little more manageable/predictable on the street. This is only speculation based on the posted dyno results.

Dinan Tune - For 4x the cost of the others you can get Dinan and have less power than the other two listed but maybe more piece of mind. They claim to not void warranty however if you read the small print it isn't so clearly defined.

Good luck with the decision and if you buy let us know what you get and how you like it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #19
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JB4 doesn't solve the CEL if you have a DP. This device will though, you use this in conjunction of a DP mode. It has many features and one of them is preventing CEL for DP mod.

http://europeanautosource.com/awron-...f8x-m3-m4.html
You're wrong. I literally just posted how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #20
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
Hey Bud,
Dinan Tune - For 4x the cost of the others you can get Dinan and have less power than the other two listed but maybe more piece of mind. They claim to not void warranty however if you read the small print it isn't so clearly defined.
If your engine malfunctions and it points directly to the result of a Dinan Tune (which they would know because it's done by your dealer), your BMW warranty will be voided. Dinan just promise to pick up the tabs.

The way I think of it is, Dinan is charging more b/c they're like the insurance company in case your warranty is voided. $2k difference is worth the risk of using JB4/ESS, IMO.

I haven't heard of real cases of people's warranty actually being voided if a dealer sees your JB4 unit. The guys that work on your BMWs when you bring it in for maintenance gets paid on flag hours. The faster he works, the more money he makes. He will not get a bonus if he rats you out, because that will slow him down from making money.

If you bought many BMWs from that same dealer, they would never jeopardize your business by voiding a warranty on a $70k car. Stop living in fear... I lived in fear when I had an EVO IX for 6mos in college. Mitsubitshi dealership threatening to void my warranty if they have evidence that I tracked it. And have I bought another EVO? Never. It's not like that with BMW, they expect you to drive the shit out of their "Ultimate Driving Machine" and track days are encouraged.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
You're wrong. I literally just posted how to do it.
shit, then no need to spend $1k on an Awron unit. But it is cool that you can open/close your exhaust valve with that unit though. I rather save money for real performance parts...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #22
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
If your engine malfunctions and it points directly to the result of a Dinan Tune (which they would know because it's done by your dealer), your BMW warranty will be voided. Dinan just promise to pick up the tabs.

The way I think of it is, Dinan is charging more b/c they're like the insurance company in case your warranty is voided. $2k difference is worth the risk of using JB4/ESS, IMO.

I haven't heard of real cases of people's warranty actually being voided if a dealer sees your JB4 unit. The guys that work on your BMWs when you bring it in for maintenance gets paid on flag hours. The faster he works, the more money he makes. He will not get a bonus if he rats you out, because that will slow him down from making money.

If you bought many BMWs from that same dealer, they would never jeopardize your business by voiding a warranty on a $70k car. Stop living in fear... I lived in fear when I had an EVO IX for 6mos in college. Mitsubitshi dealership threatening to void my warranty if they have evidence that I tracked it. And have I bought another EVO? Never. It's not like that with BMW, they expect you to drive the shit out of their "Ultimate Driving Machine" and track days are encouraged.
Unfortunately for me... my dealer doesn't participate with Dinan tunes. I need to go to a local tuner shop that is dinan certified. This to me seems like it will cause some finger pointing if an issue does bubble up. I don't want to get in the middle of that. If I had a BMW dealer local that participated in Dinan tunes I would feel much better.

You do raise a great point that can't be overlooked, but some will say you can't overlook the performance differences between Dinan and the other opitons. If your truly after performance it's hard to give them the nod.
Appreciate 0