BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2014, 02:28 AM   #1
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Thumbs down Buyer Beware: 2013 135i at Hunter Dodge in Landcaster CA

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Just a heads up for anyone who might see this car listed on autotrader or other sites in California:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...78256573&Log=0

http://www.hunterdodgechryslerjeep.n...51f3fd7a92.htm

Drove 400 miles from San Francisco to purchase this 2013 BMW 135i, reportedly bone-stock, from this dealership after dealing with salespeople Brian and Leo via email. After much back and forth negotiation and grinding, we agreed on a (higher than market value) price. My repeated requests for information and photographs about the engine bay went unanswered, but most of my other questions about tire wear, previous owner, warranty were answered. I was fed misinformation about the warranty duration, reported to me as 33 months, but when checked with BMW NA directly turned out to be only 24 months.

Upon arriving at the dealer, I immediately noticed there was an aftermarket Burger Motorsports air intake installed on the car, which I had not been informed of (neither by the dealership nor the "third party mechanic" they took the vehicle to for inspection). The intake was not bolted down or installed properly, and was so loose it could be picked up and moved around the engine bay.

When test-driving it the car surged and hesitated badly on the freeway under moderate throttle. Leo, the salesperson, continued to insist the previous owner was likely older, didn't abuse or tune the car, and that the hesitation was likely due to Leo's weight (yes, the salesman actually put himself down to try to pressure me into buying!). He also repeatedly told me that they were "unaware" of the intake, and had not popped the hood to look. I was also told that "that intake was probably the only thing done", and that "lots of people just go online and buy an intake".

I spoke several times with the sales manager, who continually refused to make eye contact with me, or stop using the computer during conversation about a $30,000+ deal. He refused to allow me to take the car overnight to an official BMW dealership for inspection, and said my only option was to drive back Monday morning, drive the car to Valencia BMW myself, and then drive it back. Remember I've already driven 400 miles for this car, and this would be another 100 miles. The dealership also refused to cover ANY of the costs for inspection, claiming that they had already given me such a good price on this car that there was no money left to help me out.

Even more frighteningly, after inspecting the car further I also found it had a Burger Motorsports JB4 tuning module installed, which could be activated inside the car by pressing volume - and channel - buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously. This is likely indicative of a hard life with its previous owner, and can cause extra wear on the drivetrain. It is also extremely difficult for the average person (non-enthusiast) to know about, not to mention remove as it is wired to the fusebox of the car, as well as to numerous sensors under the hood.

So, essentially they are trying to sell a modified BMW 135i which will fail inspection at BMW, and will allow BMW NA to deny warranty claims for engine, turbo, transmission, exhaust, etc due to the Intake and JB4 tuning module.

Be warned, know the car you're looking to buy from these guys, especially if its new. Too bad, because the body/interior are super clean.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
CreativeFuel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Thanks for the post. I'm also shopping for a 135i long distance. My biggest fear is traveling hundreds of miles to find the car is not in the condition I expected (or wanted).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
e82girl
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeFuel View Post
Thanks for the post. I'm also shopping for a 135i long distance. My biggest fear is traveling hundreds of miles to find the car is not in the condition I expected (or wanted).
I've been through this once before - it's a real shame people can't just be honest!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Update!!! Beware:

BMW of monrovia has purchased this car, returned it to stock, and is now trying to sell it as certified.

http://www.bmwofmonrovia.net/used/BM...585e778ca6.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

I'm finding out that CPO or other certified programs means the service tech went as far as sharpening their pencil before checking off the inspection form.

I'm curious why the 1st owner kept the car for about 16 months. They took a huge loss on the deal.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56
I'm finding out that CPO or other certified programs means the service tech went as far as sharpening their pencil before checking off the inspection form.

I'm curious why the 1st owner kept the car for about 16 months. They took a huge loss on the deal.
Agreed on the CPO. Based on the way the car was driving when I saw it in august, I figure the previous owner tuned the car too aggressively without knowing what he was doing. Then probably freaked and dumped it on this unsuspecting dodge dealer before warranty was up.
Appreciate 0