BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 pulls 0-60 in 2.8 seconds !! (Car and Driver instrumented test)

02-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #111
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
However, read how Ludicrous Mode works. It takes several minutes for it to first super cool the battery before you can run and then up to 10 minutes between runs. So the M5 reducing the RPMs some but still allowing LC is no biggie.
Actually (as a P100D ModelX owner) thats not true...

Ludicrous mode is ALWAYS on if you enable it. "Max Power" is an additional setting which optimizes the batteries and can take several minutes (depending on the ambient conditions). ...and if I remember correctly it actually WARMS the batteries - not COOLS them...

"Max Power" adds a little bit more power (maybe a tenth of a second?) but I've never had to use it to run the wheels off anything and everything that "wants to give it a go"... If you roll up to someone itchy at a light, its way too late to turn on "Max Power", but it doesn't really make that much difference.

Ludicrous mode is always there and you can really snap your passengers neck if you don't warn them before you put your foot down!

Last edited by evanevery; 02-15-2018 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #112
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I know. Its not my headline though. Its the title bimmerpost chose to give to the thread. My headline was only that the M5 put down 0-60 in 2.8. Haha.
10-4! Your rep is safe!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #113
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
We don't know that yet.

But we do know on the coupe side of things that tuned 911 Turbos with street tires have been out-launching Porsche 918's (0-60 in 2.2 seconds) with 0-60mph near 2-flat or even in the 1.9X territory with street tires. And unlike battery cars, the 911's keep pulling hard with great vengeance and furious anger. My old 997.2 vs a P918 with a 9.7@145.X timeslip:

https://instagram.com/p/BMenUrqBrQA/
These guys are talking stock to stock.. so the F90 is very impressive so far. Vs. tuned cars is another story. I am sure I will put bus-lengths on the F90... but then my car only looks stock :-)
What's up brother. Mike brought up a tune (or perhaps tune potential) on this new M5. I would doubt there is a tune yet although some tuners may have the ECU already (like GIAC on the Porsche side has the ECU before the car is even released). Even so, dropping the 0-60 to under 2.3 for a heavy car with the engine in the front with street tires would likely defy the laws of physics with existing street tire compound.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #114
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Quote:
What's up brother. Mike brought up a tune (or perhaps tune potential) on this new M5. I would doubt there is a tune yet although some tuners may have the ECU already (like GIAC on the Porsche side has the ECU before the car is even released). Even so, dropping the 0-60 to under 2.3 for a heavy car with the engine in the front with street tires would likely defy the laws of physics with existing street tire compound.
Agree - its not getting to 2.3, no way!

My best was 2.5 and that was on MT's, 850wtq....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #115
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
exactly... the Tesla launch mode is just to impress friends. It's not for long bouts of spirited driving. Bragging rights, I suppose.
You don't need to use "Max Power" mode to impress friends. (Ludicrous mode is always on if you turn it on - its the "Max Power" mode that needs to warm up) Ludicrous mode is pretty amazing all by itself!

My P100D has been in Ludicrous mode since the day it was delivered a year and a half ago. ...and I routinely drive between Milwaukee and Chicago and back without recharging. I see about 220 miles of range while constantly in Ludicrous mode.

I doubt anyone could tell whether "Max Power" mode (what you call "Launch Mode") is actually enabled or not. We're talking maybe a tenth of a second here...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #116
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Actually (as a P100D ModelX owner) thats not true...

Ludicrous mode is ALWAYS on if you enable it.
For how long can you drive like a hooligan before the battery overheats?

Or are you saying there is no overheat limit?

Also - if you drive like a hooligan, how much does that affect your range?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #117
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
For how long can you drive like a hooligan before the battery overheats?

Or are you saying there is no overheat limit?

Also - if you drive like a hooligan, how much does that affect your range?
Um...as long as I want? How long can you drive with your Competition Pack enabled?

My battery has NEVER overheated! (I don't even know if its possible) Specifically cause I don't drive CONTINUOUSLY like a hooligan.

My range has always been around 220 miles and my car has NEVER been in anything other than Ludicrous mode. (...and thats only charging to a battery-friendly 90% capacity - I can get to 240-250 if I turn the charge limit all the way up to push the range)

"Ludicrous mode" is simply a setting to control the MAXIMUM power the drive train will deliver. It doesn't require or force you to drive like a hooligan. It doesn't effect your range or your battery temp UNLESS you drive like a hooligan. Its like being able to enable/disable BMW "Competition Pack" power. It just makes it available if you want it. Doesn't force you to use it. I see no reason to ever turn it off. Maybe if I was in some long distance race and wanted to prevent the car from ever using its max power to help lengthen the range...

Even turning on "Max Battery Power" mode doesn't force you to use it. It does two things: It warms up your battery pack (if necessary) to maximize power delivery, and it does enable a traction optimized "Launch Mode" just like in a BMW.

I don't know why anyone with a Ludicrous Mode capable Tesla would ever turn it off. (Do folks ever code out their Competition Pack?) ...and I've only enabled "Max Battery Power" once just to test it. (It turns off when you shut the car down)

"Max Battery Power" is OK cause it enables a true Launch Mode but that is only really useful - not because of any real difference in traction control - but because you can stand on the brake and the accelerator at the same time and then just release the brake. You know - "Launch Control"!

But we're talking a minimally measurable difference in performance. I don't need "Max Battery Power" Launch Control to spank pretty much anything that rolls up next to me. I just need to put my Ludicrous foot down!

It seems to me a lot of folks don't understand what Tesla's Ludicrous Mode is all about - or that a completely different "Max Battery Power" (Launch Mode) is available... I'm not sure, but "Max Power" might even be available whether you have Ludicrous mode or not.

Last edited by evanevery; 02-15-2018 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #118
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Did anyone expect different evaluation from these reviews? Not bashing the new M5 but these reviews are always praising whatever they are given to try. Advertisement and marketing...
Doubt this if you've read any modern bmw review..
What they do is that they start nice then once the model is up and running they come up with some negativity. Like really? Did you not feel the car was too stiff previously, or whatever they now complain about?
Yep funny part is when they say (to every model) is that is the fastest m5 ever built by BMW. Of course it is. Reviews are full of bs. Even respected folks became like this, read Chris Harris, yes...:
      02-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #119
MTHX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI MPerformance edition

Garage List
2018 F90M5  [0.00]
Hey guy's, i think we can accept all that tesla and m5 are great fast car, and have some advantage one over the others.

I think both has made a great car. But if it's about going from point a to point b, both do that very fast no?

One burn gasoline, the other coal, diesel, nuclear or some more cleaner energy to go fast ...

I have seen truck going as fast as an m5 and a tesla.

If you want to go very, very fast, buy a bike, a space shuttle, a f1....

But what i can say, it's if the m5 do a 2.8 and a 10.9, it's enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #120
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillain View Post
the overall build quality of the e60 imo is not so good. the design inside and out was lets face it aweful. it was only overlooked because of the sound it made. and even then if you still had to do some kind of sound modification since it was too quiet stock. lacked alot of toque compared to f10, used insane amounts of fuel, had a horrrribly slow transmission(unless u got one fo the few manuals) and to top it all off it was horribly unreliable. so ya id say the f10 is better in every way except maybe sound.
disagree with literally every point. except the fuel usage.

(horribly slow transmission? id love to see anyone out shift an smg in s6)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #121
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I love that this makes tesla second fastest sedan, do they have to change all their marketing material now?

Also they should race tesla 0-500 miles, pretty sure the bmw will win
No, M5 just beat the P90D. The Tesla Model S P100D does 0-60 in under 2.3 seconds so that's still the world's quickest sedan.
Ah true
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 10:08 PM   #122
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
Quote:
the overall build quality of the e60 imo is not so good. the design inside and out was lets face it aweful. it was only overlooked because of the sound it made. and even then if you still had to do some kind of sound modification since it was too quiet stock. lacked alot of toque compared to f10, used insane amounts of fuel, had a horrrribly slow transmission(unless u got one fo the few manuals) and to top it all off it was horribly unreliable. so ya id say the f10 is better in every way except maybe sound.

You don't get out much do you? SMG3 is quite slow, even more clunky in S6, 5 or 4. 4 is about all the clunking I can stand. The E60 was the worst M5/6 of them all. The E39s are worth more! The F90 will be a beast.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #123
Titan9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e39 and e60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
Quote:

You don't get out much do you? SMG2 is quite slow, even more clunky in S6, 5 or 4. 4 is about all the clunking I can stand. The E60 was the worst M5/6 of them all. The E39s are worth more! The F90 will be a beast.
Smg2? Last time i ck'd the e60 came equipped with a smg3. Smg3 shifts faster than someone rowing their 6spd manual. Smg3 is not ideal for heavy dd duties, but it excels wide open roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:23 AM   #124
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Interesting article here:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...n-2-28-seconds

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:45 AM   #125
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I was going to ask the roll out question, I guess the M5 was also subjected to a roll out? so 3.1 not 2.8 etc....

I get roll out when doing 1/4 mile times as that is what happens at the strip but not for 60mph and 100mph runs it's misleading.
      02-16-2018, 03:48 AM   #126
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
You don't get out much do you? SMG3 is quite slow, even more clunky in S6, 5 or 4. 4 is about all the clunking I can stand. The E60 was the worst M5/6 of them all. The E39s are worth more! The F90 will be a beast.
65ms per shift is not slow even SMG2 was 80ms maybe they dumbed it down for the US market?
      02-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #127
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
i get out lots in my e60 m5. in s6 under WOT it shifts faster than a manual, as another person here just agreed.

its also the most fun transmission iv'e ever driven. there is no clunking whatsoever. the shifts are perfectly smooth when cruising, and absolute savagery when in s6.

maybe your m5 was broken, or you don't know how to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #128
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHX View Post
Hey guy's, i think we can accept all that tesla and m5 are great fast car, and have some advantage one over the others.

I think both has made a great car. But if it's about going from point a to point b, both do that very fast no?

One burn gasoline, the other coal, diesel, nuclear or some more cleaner energy to go fast ...

I have seen truck going as fast as an m5 and a tesla.

If you want to go very, very fast, buy a bike, a space shuttle, a f1....

But what i can say, it's if the m5 do a 2.8 and a 10.9, it's enough for me.
I can't agree more!

The BMW boards are extremely harsh on the Tesla's. I currently own a VERY Individual M4, and an M6. I uses to own an X6M. I have an i8 Roadster on order. I used to own a Chevy Volt and now my daily driver is a Model X. They were/are all really great vehicles in their own right.

Why do we feel it necessary to bash one vehicle just because its not OUR vehicle. Do we feel threatened by its success? Are we envious of its appeal? I think the F90 is turning in some pretty amazing numbers, but why do so many think its necessary that a Tesla should LOSE so that a BMW can WIN?

My ModelX is an amazing car. It doesn't have the fit and finish of a BMW but its truly amazing in its own right. BMW (and many users on this forum) could learn a lot if they would care to look and understand what make these cars so special!

This thread should be about the M5, not the Tesla, but when folks start spewing incorrect uneducated crap, I thinks its best to stand up for one of my very favorite vehicles.

TRUE car aficionados don't love one brand at the expense of all others. Its possible to appreciate BOTH Camaros and Mustangs, BOTH M5s and Corvettes. The appreciation of fine automobiles might be easier if we simply pry off the manufacturers badges...

Ever look whats in the garages of celebrity car aficionados like Jay Leno or Tim Allen? (Its more than one brand...)
Appreciate 1
Bönz183.50
      02-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #129
InspireSiR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 E92

I haven't read every post in this thread, so not sure if anyone else brought this up. But isn't the method to get the time from 0-60mph cheating?

"When fluid temperatures are right, the computer allows the engine to rev to nearly 3000 rpm, and the rear wheels start spinning as if the M5 were rear-wheel drive. Release the brakes, the front wheels kick in, and the M5 pounds forward. In 2.8 seconds you’re at 60 mph and in 10.9 you’re whisked through the quarter-mile at 129 mph."

The wheels are already spinning before the light turns green. True, the car isn't moving yet so it's still at "0" mph, but something doesn't seem legit here about this process to get a true 0-60mph time.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #130
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
I would doubt there is a tune yet...
That's not true. G-Power supposedly is already now selling a Piggyback for the S64tu4. They're claiming 700PS. Looks stupid expensive, although in their defense G-Power has never been cheap. But yeah, here we go with companies like Performing Imports selling Press Tunes for $4,000 dollars again. Lol!

https://www.g-power.com/benoetigt-de...00-ps_3946.php

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #131
MTHX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI MPerformance edition

Garage List
2018 F90M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I can't agree more!

The BMW boards are extremely harsh on the Tesla's. I currently own a VERY Individual M4, and an M6. I uses to own an X6M. I have an i8 Roadster on order. I used to own a Chevy Volt and now my daily driver is a Model X. They were/are all really great vehicles in their own right.

Why do we feel it necessary to bash one vehicle just because its not OUR vehicle. Do we feel threatened by its success? Are we envious of its appeal? I think the F90 is turning in some pretty amazing numbers, but why do so many think its necessary that a Tesla should LOSE so that a BMW can WIN?

My ModelX is an amazing car. It doesn't have the fit and finish of a BMW but its truly amazing in its own right. BMW (and many users on this forum) could learn a lot if they would care to look and understand what make these cars so special!

This thread should be about the M5, not the Tesla, but when folks start spewing incorrect uneducated crap, I thinks its best to stand up for one of my very favorite vehicles.

TRUE car aficionados don't love one brand at the expense of all others. Its possible to appreciate BOTH Camaros and Mustangs, BOTH M5s and Corvettes. The appreciation of fine automobiles might be easier if we simply pry off the manufacturers badges...

Ever look whats in the garages of celebrity car aficionados like Jay Leno or Tim Allen? (Its more than one brand...)

You have a lot of Nice car's

Will be my first time with an M cars .... april ...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #132
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

This entire conversation is in ludicrous mode. All these cars are effin fast. And there's far more to them than just 0-60 times.

Besides, if you're drag racing, there are so many factors besides published times to compare. Ambient, road and tire conditions all play a major role in launching off the line. But more than all those put together is driver reaction time. If you blink in a stop light race, you can lose an entire second. I've come across cheaters who roll out when they see the opposing yellow.

It's all fun and games. We should consider ourselves fortunate to afford and drive these amazing modern cars. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0