BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 pulls 0-60 in 2.8 seconds !! (Car and Driver instrumented test)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
esquire
Brigadier General
esquire's Avatar
United_States
366
Rep
3,006
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

F90 M5 pulls 0-60 in 2.8 seconds !! (Car and Driver instrumented test)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Car and Driver just measured the F90 to 60 in 2.8 seconds.

"In 2.8 seconds you’re at 60 mph and in 10.9 you’re whisked through the quarter-mile at 129 mph. That makes the new M5 the quickest sedan we’ve ever tested, tying a Tesla Model S P90D to 60 mph but pulling ahead by 100 mph and in the quarter-mile."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mag=cdb&dom=tw
__________________

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]

Last edited by esquire; 02-13-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Appreciate 15
      02-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
esquire
Brigadier General
esquire's Avatar
United_States
366
Rep
3,006
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Oh and one more quote:

"In spite of its all-wheel drive and automatic transmission, the M5 is a return to form. For the first time in a long time, we’re lusting after a new M5. ... It’s better to drive than its predecessor, which is something we haven’t been able to say about an M5 since 2000."
__________________

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 9
abirmaher376.00
goj1821.00
DeeKay267.00
BPMSport1704.00
SpeedN851.00

      02-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
drewzMMM
Second Lieutenant
drewzMMM's Avatar
87
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: Future M5 F90 Owner
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

I agree with their comments... the E39 truly was an advancement in every way over its' predecessor. That is the machine that got me hooked...

2.8s, though? Wow. And, is that how the new Launch Control works? Just hold both pedals and then release the brake when the streetlight turns green...?
__________________
Mildred:
2006 M5 E60
Indianapolis Red/Sepang/Piano Black
*R.I.P.*
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
GNALUZU
Former BMWCCA/NASA AZ HPDE Instructor
GNALUZU's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
763
Posts

Drives: 2017 X5 50 Msport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW X5 5.0  [0.00]
Not to knock the new M5, because I am becoming more and more interested in it... the method used to get the 2.8 second results are not exactly the most repeatable.

Quote:
When fluid temperatures are right, the computer allows the engine to rev to nearly 3000 rpm, and the rear wheels start spinning as if the M5 were rear-wheel drive. Release the brakes, the front wheels kick in, and the M5 pounds forward. In 2.8 seconds you’re at 60 mph and in 10.9 you’re whisked through the quarter-mile at 129 mph.
Basically, doing a brake stand before launch. C&D says that after a few runs it dials back the launch RPM, but I wonder how many times until the car goes in to limp mode.
__________________
GNALUZU

Retired BMW CCA/NASA HPDE Instructor turned automotive journalist

2017 X5 5.0 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
esquire
Brigadier General
esquire's Avatar
United_States
366
Rep
3,006
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Not to knock the new M5, because I am becoming more and more interested in it... the method used to get the 2.8 second results are not exactly the most repeatable.



Basically, doing a brake stand before launch. C&D says that after a few runs it dials back the launch RPM, but I wonder how many times until the car goes in to limp mode.

Well, the launch control is technically very "repeatable." Like C&D said: "A perfect launch is as easy as holding the brake and the accelerator while stopped." So getting C&D's exact results should be no problem.

But what you're noting is not an issue of repeatability. But rather a programming issue: after a few runs, the ecu intentionally drops the launch control RPMs from 3000 to 2500, resulting in less traction on launch and going a few tenths slower to 60. Dropping the RPMs down to 2500 is done probably to protect the car out of an abundance of caution, and I'm willing to bet (prematurely) that its something that can be coded out later. Realistically speaking though, how many times are you going to be dropping the hammer on your car on a full blown launch control? I doubt more than once or twice a day.

I'm sure they drop the launch RPMS down to 2500 precisely to avoid going to limp mode, so I don't think you'll have concerns there.

The simple fact that we're talking about a stock sedan in the 2.x territory, and 10 second territory for the quarter mile is crazy.

- esquire
__________________

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 8
      02-13-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
uniqueMR
Lieutenant Colonel
uniqueMR's Avatar
United_States
703
Rep
1,739
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M4 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Mind-blowing numbers, M5 is addictive
__________________
Currently: 2018 BMW M4 Competition & 2018 Audi S3 Prestige
Previously BMWs: 2016 340i, 2012 M3 CP, 2003 745Li, 2000 740i
Previously Owned: Honda, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Volkswagen
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #7
Jo-Sta07
Lieutenant
Jo-Sta07's Avatar
251
Rep
510
Posts

Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Scottsdale/Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

I'm blown away by this. I can't wait to drive one.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
Hill Country F90
Major
Hill Country F90's Avatar
United_States
256
Rep
1,180
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATX

iTrader: (0)

Crazy numbers. This car is going to be fun!

600hp? Yep...at the wheels....lol.
__________________
2018 F90 M5
2015 F80 M3
2013 F10 550i MSport
2011 E92 M3
2008 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #9
TheBingoBalls
Colonel
Canada
605
Rep
2,937
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
As with all C&D reviews, their honeymoon period always praises the M5 only to beat it down in all other subsequent reviews. They did it with the E60 and F10 (ranking both either last or at the bottom in comparisons) and I would not be surprised if they did the same with the F90.

With that said, the F90 looks like a total beast/complete package. I never really hated any M5 and always liked what it provided at the time and not compared to others. But the F90 really tried to differentiate itself from the G30 even if it's the small little things - red M1/M2 buttons, steering wheel, seats. This is nice improvement over the F10 M5 where everything in the interior was almost identical to the F10 5er (like really BMW, you used a 5-Series steering wheel and added an M badge?).

Can't wait to see this one in person!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #10
MTHX
Second Lieutenant
MTHX's Avatar
Canada
149
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 335XI MPerformance edition
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Québec Province

iTrader: (0)

Not too bad for a big sedan !!!

016 AMZ Grimsel Electric Race Car0-60 mph 1.5
2015 Infiniti Formula 1 Red Bull RB110-60 mph 1.7
1994 Ford SVT Boss Mustang 10.0L Concept0-60 mph 1.9 | Quarter mile 10.5
2020 Tesla Roadster0-60 mph 1.9 | Quarter mile 8.8
2002 Chevrolet Corvette (Lingenfelter 427 Twin Turbo)0-60 mph 1.97 | Quarter mile 9.1
2002 Hennessey Dodge Viper Venom 1000TT0-60 mph 2.2 | Quarter mile 9.4
2012 Ariel Atom 500 (V8)0-60 mph 2.3
2014 Porsche 918 Spyder0-60 mph 2.3 | Quarter mile 9.9
2017 Bugatti Chiron0-60 mph 2.3
2018 Bugatti Chiron0-60 mph 2.3
2017 Tesla Model S P100D 'Ludicrous Plus' Upgrade0-60 mph 2.3 | Quarter mile 10.5
2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon0-60 mph 2.3 | Quarter mile 9.6
2009 Bugatti Veyron EB 16.40-60 mph 2.4 | Quarter mile 10.1
2011 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport0-60 mph 2.4 | Quarter mile 9.6
2013 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse0-60 mph 2.4 | Quarter mile 9.9
2011 Lamborghini Sesto Elemento0-60 mph 2.4
2018 Faraday Future FF910-60 mph 2.4
2016 Ferrari LaFerrari FXX K0-60 mph 2.4
2017 Tesla Model S P100D 'Ludicrous Speed' Upgrade0-60 mph 2.4 | Quarter mile 10.6
2016 Hennessey Venom GT Spyder0-60 mph 2.4 | Quarter mile 9.4
2015 Ariel Atom 3.5R0-60 mph 2.5 | Quarter mile 10.8
2010 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport0-60 mph 2.5
2015 Bugatti Veyron Rembrandt Legends Edition0-60 mph 2.5
2015 Koenigsegg One:10-60 mph 2.5
2013 Caterham Seven R6000-60 mph 2.5
2012 Hennessey Venom GT0-60 mph 2.5
2007 Caparo T10-60 mph 2.5
2015 SSC Tuatara0-60 mph 2.5 | Quarter mile 9.7
2016 McLaren P1 GTR0-60 mph 2.5
2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S0-60 mph 2.5 | Quarter mile 10.5
2014 Hennessey Corvette Stingray HPE10000-60 mph 2.5 | Quarter mile 9.7
2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus0-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.6
2013 Ariel Atom 3.50-60 mph 2.6
2014 Ferrari LaFerrari0-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 9.7
2010 Pagani Zonda R0-60 mph 2.6
2006 Ultima GTR 7200-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 9.9
2013 SSC Ultimate Aero XT0-60 mph 2.6
2015 Radical RXC 500 Turbo0-60 mph 2.6
2016 Koenigsegg Agera RS0-60 mph 2.6
2017 Porsche 911 Turbo0-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.7
2015 Tesla Model S P90D 'Ludicrous Speed' Upgrade0-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.9
2017 Hennessey Camaro HPE8500-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.3
2015 Hennessey Corvette Z06 HPE8500-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.3
2012 Hennessey Nissan GT-R HPE8000-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.5
2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet0-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.6
2006 Bugatti Veyron EB 16.40-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.7
2012 Koenigsegg Agera R0-60 mph 2.7
2014 McLaren P10-60 mph 2.7
2013 Nissan GT-R Track Pack0-60 mph 2.7
2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.8
2013 Caterham Seven Superlight R500 SV0-60 mph 2.7
2014 Caterham Seven 620R0-60 mph 2.7
2013 Caterham SP300R0-60 mph 2.7
2012 BAC Mono0-60 mph 2.7
2007 SSC Ultimate Aero TT0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 9.9
2016 Lamborghini Aventador LP750-4 SV0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.4
2016 McLaren 570S0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.7
2016 Koenigsegg Regera0-60 mph 2.7
2016 Elemental RP10-60 mph 2.7
2017 Rezvani Beast0-60 mph 2.7
2017 Lamborghini Centenario LP 770-40-60 mph 2.7
2016 Ariel Atom 3S0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.7
2016 Hennessey Camaro HPE10000-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 9.8
2015 Hennessey Charger SRT Hellcat HPE10000-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 9.9
2015 Hennessey Challenger SRT Hellcat HPE10000-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 9.9
2016 Hennessey Corvette Stingray HPE8000-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.1
2017 NIO EP9 Electric Supercar0-60 mph 2.7
2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS0-60 mph 2.7
2017 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.8
2008 Ariel Atom 500 (V8)0-60 mph 2.8
2005 Ferrari FXX Enzo0-60 mph 2.8
2015 Ferrari F12 TDF0-60 mph 2.8
2010 Koenigsegg Trevita0-60 mph 2.8
2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-40-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.7
2013 Lamborghini Veneno0-60 mph 2.8
2015 Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-40-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.6
2011 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggra0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.9
2011 Caterham Seven Superlight R5000-60 mph 2.8
2011 HTT Plethore0-60 mph 2.8
2009 Caparo T1 Race Extreme0-60 mph 2.8
2016 McLaren 675LT0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.5
2015 Tesla Model S P85D 'Ludicrous Speed' Upgrade0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.9
2016 Tesla Model S P90D0-60 mph 2.8
2017 McLaren 675LT Spider0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.5
2017 Ferrari 488 GTB Scuderia0-60 mph 2.8
2016 Callaway Corvette SC7570-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.5
2017 McLaren 570GT0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.8
2017 Lamborghini Aventador S0-60 mph 2.8
2017 Tesla Model X P100D 'Ludicrous Speed' Upgrade0-60 mph 2.8
2015 Rossion Q10-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.2
2018 McLaren 720S0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.3
2018 Ferrari 812 Superfast0-60 mph 2.8
2006 Ariel Atom 20-60 mph 2.9 | Quarter mile 12.4
2007 Ariel Atom 2 Stage 20-60 mph 2.9 | Quarter mile 11.4
2009 Ariel Atom 30-60 mph 2.9
2011 Ariel Atom 3 Mugen0-60 mph 2.9
2003 Hennessey Dodge Viper Venom 650R0-60 mph 2.9 | Quarter mile 10.7
2014 Ferrari 458 Speciale0-60 mph 2.9
2011 Ferrari 599XX0-60 mph 2.9 | Quarter mile 10.7
2013 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 Roadster0-60 mph 2.9 | Quarter mile 10.8

a
__________________
-----------------------------------
E60 550 2007 - Grey // F30 2015 335XI MPerformance edition - Lacuna Seca Blue // F30 2015 335XI MPerformance edition - Grey black // F90 2018 M5 - Donington Grey
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2018, 01:45 AM   #11
Greer
Lieutenant
Greer's Avatar
153
Rep
564
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Wow, I wonder what the Competition Package will do.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
bm323
Captain
41
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 FG; 2018 M240i vert
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ///M land

iTrader: (0)

Wow ... how many of these is non electric, seats 5 and cost substantially less??



Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHX View Post
Not too bad for a big sedan !!!

016 AMZ Grimsel Electric Race Car0-60 mph 1.5
2015 Infiniti Formula 1 Red Bull RB110-60 mph 1.7
1994 Ford SVT Boss Mustang 10.0L Concept0-60 mph 1.9 | Quarter mile 10.5
2020 Tesla Roadster0-60 mph 1.9 | Quarter mile 8.8
2002 Chevrolet Corvette (Lingenfelter 427 Twin Turbo)0-60 mph 1.97 | Quarter mile 9.1
2002 Hennessey Dodge Viper Venom 1000TT0-60 mph 2.2 | Quarter mile 9.4
2012 Ariel Atom 500 (V8)0-60 mph 2.3
2014 Porsche 918 Spyder0-60 mph 2.3 | Quarter mile 9.9
2017 Bugatti Chiron0-60 mph 2.3
2018 Bugatti Chiron0-60 mph 2.3
2017 Tesla Model S P100D 'Ludicrous Plus' Upgrade0-60 mph 2.3 | Quarter mile 10.5
2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon0-60 mph 2.3 | Quarter mile 9.6
2009 Bugatti Veyron EB 16.40-60 mph 2.4 | Quarter mile 10.1
2011 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport0-60 mph 2.4 | Quarter mile 9.6
2013 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse0-60 mph 2.4 | Quarter mile 9.9
2011 Lamborghini Sesto Elemento0-60 mph 2.4
2018 Faraday Future FF910-60 mph 2.4
2016 Ferrari LaFerrari FXX K0-60 mph 2.4
2017 Tesla Model S P100D 'Ludicrous Speed' Upgrade0-60 mph 2.4 | Quarter mile 10.6
2016 Hennessey Venom GT Spyder0-60 mph 2.4 | Quarter mile 9.4
2015 Ariel Atom 3.5R0-60 mph 2.5 | Quarter mile 10.8
2010 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport0-60 mph 2.5
2015 Bugatti Veyron Rembrandt Legends Edition0-60 mph 2.5
2015 Koenigsegg One:10-60 mph 2.5
2013 Caterham Seven R6000-60 mph 2.5
2012 Hennessey Venom GT0-60 mph 2.5
2007 Caparo T10-60 mph 2.5
2015 SSC Tuatara0-60 mph 2.5 | Quarter mile 9.7
2016 McLaren P1 GTR0-60 mph 2.5
2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S0-60 mph 2.5 | Quarter mile 10.5
2014 Hennessey Corvette Stingray HPE10000-60 mph 2.5 | Quarter mile 9.7
2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus0-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.6
2013 Ariel Atom 3.50-60 mph 2.6
2014 Ferrari LaFerrari0-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 9.7
2010 Pagani Zonda R0-60 mph 2.6
2006 Ultima GTR 7200-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 9.9
2013 SSC Ultimate Aero XT0-60 mph 2.6
2015 Radical RXC 500 Turbo0-60 mph 2.6
2016 Koenigsegg Agera RS0-60 mph 2.6
2017 Porsche 911 Turbo0-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.7
2015 Tesla Model S P90D 'Ludicrous Speed' Upgrade0-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.9
2017 Hennessey Camaro HPE8500-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.3
2015 Hennessey Corvette Z06 HPE8500-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.3
2012 Hennessey Nissan GT-R HPE8000-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.5
2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet0-60 mph 2.6 | Quarter mile 10.6
2006 Bugatti Veyron EB 16.40-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.7
2012 Koenigsegg Agera R0-60 mph 2.7
2014 McLaren P10-60 mph 2.7
2013 Nissan GT-R Track Pack0-60 mph 2.7
2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.8
2013 Caterham Seven Superlight R500 SV0-60 mph 2.7
2014 Caterham Seven 620R0-60 mph 2.7
2013 Caterham SP300R0-60 mph 2.7
2012 BAC Mono0-60 mph 2.7
2007 SSC Ultimate Aero TT0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 9.9
2016 Lamborghini Aventador LP750-4 SV0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.4
2016 McLaren 570S0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.7
2016 Koenigsegg Regera0-60 mph 2.7
2016 Elemental RP10-60 mph 2.7
2017 Rezvani Beast0-60 mph 2.7
2017 Lamborghini Centenario LP 770-40-60 mph 2.7
2016 Ariel Atom 3S0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.7
2016 Hennessey Camaro HPE10000-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 9.8
2015 Hennessey Charger SRT Hellcat HPE10000-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 9.9
2015 Hennessey Challenger SRT Hellcat HPE10000-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 9.9
2016 Hennessey Corvette Stingray HPE8000-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.1
2017 NIO EP9 Electric Supercar0-60 mph 2.7
2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS0-60 mph 2.7
2017 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet0-60 mph 2.7 | Quarter mile 10.8
2008 Ariel Atom 500 (V8)0-60 mph 2.8
2005 Ferrari FXX Enzo0-60 mph 2.8
2015 Ferrari F12 TDF0-60 mph 2.8
2010 Koenigsegg Trevita0-60 mph 2.8
2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-40-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.7
2013 Lamborghini Veneno0-60 mph 2.8
2015 Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-40-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.6
2011 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggra0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.9
2011 Caterham Seven Superlight R5000-60 mph 2.8
2011 HTT Plethore0-60 mph 2.8
2009 Caparo T1 Race Extreme0-60 mph 2.8
2016 McLaren 675LT0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.5
2015 Tesla Model S P85D 'Ludicrous Speed' Upgrade0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.9
2016 Tesla Model S P90D0-60 mph 2.8
2017 McLaren 675LT Spider0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.5
2017 Ferrari 488 GTB Scuderia0-60 mph 2.8
2016 Callaway Corvette SC7570-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.5
2017 McLaren 570GT0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.8
2017 Lamborghini Aventador S0-60 mph 2.8
2017 Tesla Model X P100D 'Ludicrous Speed' Upgrade0-60 mph 2.8
2015 Rossion Q10-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.2
2018 McLaren 720S0-60 mph 2.8 | Quarter mile 10.3
2018 Ferrari 812 Superfast0-60 mph 2.8
2006 Ariel Atom 20-60 mph 2.9 | Quarter mile 12.4
2007 Ariel Atom 2 Stage 20-60 mph 2.9 | Quarter mile 11.4
2009 Ariel Atom 30-60 mph 2.9
2011 Ariel Atom 3 Mugen0-60 mph 2.9
2003 Hennessey Dodge Viper Venom 650R0-60 mph 2.9 | Quarter mile 10.7
2014 Ferrari 458 Speciale0-60 mph 2.9
2011 Ferrari 599XX0-60 mph 2.9 | Quarter mile 10.7
2013 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 Roadster0-60 mph 2.9 | Quarter mile 10.8

a
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
6ixSpd's Avatar
Canada
2445
Rep
4,126
Posts

Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (1)

Numbers aside (which are truly insane for a +4000lbs luxury car), this is the most curcial bit in my opinion:

"There?s a closer connection with the driver in this M5, one that isn?t as overtly filtered through silicon chips and electronics. It?s more amusing and less robotic than its predecessor. Unlike so many BMWs of late, the steering is lively and has some actual feedback."

And

"For the first time in a long time, we?re lusting after a new M5. It might not be the pure and competition-bred sedan of its youth, but the new iteration has stopped placing technology over tactility and numbers over enjoyment. The whole car is now better at integrating its tech and drawing the driver in. The performance data is more impressive than before, but the car is more than just something that generates an eye-popping test sheet. It?s better to drive than its predecessor, which is something we haven?t been able to say about an M5 since 2000."

Damn, has BMW actually gotten something right in this last decade!?
__________________
'12 M3 6MT Alpine White + Fox Red Extended | '09 328i 6MT Space Gray + Saddle Brown

Appreciate 1
Germanauto1764.00

      02-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
bm323
Captain
41
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 FG; 2018 M240i vert
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ///M land

iTrader: (0)

Certainly helped by following ... "Even with the roughly 150-pound penalty of all-wheel drive, the new M5 weighs in at 4288 pounds—which sounds like a lot, but that’s 110 pounds lighter than*the most recent previous-gen M5 we tested(which had a manual) and 299 less than the E63 S. In addition to a carbon-fiber roof panel and a lithium-ion battery, the new 5-series platform uses more weight-saving aluminum than before.*"

Some who have been arguing for Merc are kicking themselves
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #15
bm323
Captain
41
Rep
618
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5 FG; 2018 M240i vert
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ///M land

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
As with all C&D reviews, their honeymoon period always praises the M5 only to beat it down in all other subsequent reviews. They did it with the E60 and F10 (ranking both either last or at the bottom in comparisons) and I would not be surprised if they did the same with the F90.
You probably missed this "Then we drove first a prototype and then*a production version in Europe last year, and most of those fears were put to rest. Maybe we’re ready to love again? ...

We made a date with the first 2018 M5 available in the United States and took it straight to our test facility.*"

Your reference was to first drives (and nonsensical reference to the E60), which this is not.

Last edited by bm323; 02-14-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #16
Ragazzi-07
Lieutenant
Ragazzi-07's Avatar
Canada
119
Rep
444
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

just making my case for getting one stronger and stronger.......
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #17
RPiM5
Major General
RPiM5's Avatar
1920
Rep
7,577
Posts

Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego

iTrader: (0)

The performance is indeed staggering. I always knew it would be. However I'm still not in love with it. With the excellent new X4 just unveiled, if BMW continues their new design language in that direction, then I'm just going to wait for the G90 M5 in another 6-7 years. But, as always, I give credit where it's due and the F90 is definitely a fast car.
__________________
A manual transmission on a BMW, reminds the driver that they have to know how to drive.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 01:02 PM   #18
stefan
Brigadier General
stefan's Avatar
No_Country
1054
Rep
3,475
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [5.00]
2016 BMW X1  [0.00]
Go fossil fuels! Do wish it was smaller though and available with a manual. That would actually be a "return to form". An auto box for the spreadsheet racers and a manual for purists.
__________________
///M Power
Appreciate 3
Kzang2412.00
Tanin34.00

      02-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #19
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
jlstyle's Avatar
167
Rep
1,654
Posts

Drives: 2015 X5 Msports
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I really think cars should go little slow
2.8 in a sedan is shit fast. I think 4 sec range is good enough and keep the road safe.
I hate all GTR owners in my town who think they are on the drag race at every light.
Nonetheless, awesome car, M5 it is.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #20
M3 Adjuster
Lieutenant General
M3 Adjuster's Avatar
United_States
6723
Rep
10,965
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Wow. Now that's a stat an old school bmw fan can appreciate. No need to show it drifting all day long when it can get down the road like that.
__________________
ALWAYS BET ON BLACK!
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter Ex-president (retired 2017) , Chief Driving Instructor - LIFETIME Member # 119366
If you don't STAND for something.. you'll FALL for anything
Past: 1991 BMW E30 M3 street car ; 1988 BMW E30 M3 track car -
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #21
esquire
Brigadier General
esquire's Avatar
United_States
366
Rep
3,006
Posts

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

TO ADMIN/ MODS - I don't think the front page title for this thread is correct. The m5 is fast as sin. But I'm relatively certain that the Tesla s P100D is faster. Looks like car and driver just never tested the p100D - thus their comment that the m5 is the fastest car they've ever tested.

Can anyone else confirm ?


EDIT - Mods thanks for correcting front page title to read "fastest car ever tested by Car & Driver"
__________________

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]

Last edited by esquire; 02-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk418.50

      02-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #22
M3 Adjuster
Lieutenant General
M3 Adjuster's Avatar
United_States
6723
Rep
10,965
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Wow, I wonder what the Competition Package will do.


patience grasshopper... enjoy the F90 M5 .0 version....!

i am sure in time... with a little development.. a comp package... and then perhaps even a CS....? this thing has street tires on it right?
__________________
ALWAYS BET ON BLACK!
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter Ex-president (retired 2017) , Chief Driving Instructor - LIFETIME Member # 119366
If you don't STAND for something.. you'll FALL for anything
Past: 1991 BMW E30 M3 street car ; 1988 BMW E30 M3 track car -
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST