E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > GIAC Flash Loader Video!

07-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #67
AMERICUS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 04 330 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
There are no tuner codes with GIAC.
GIAC doesn't trigger anything of the sort. The dealer cannot see anything so regular maintenance and small repairs are fine. If there is a major fix at the dealer then the tech may have to upload the ECU code data and BMW USA might be able to see something.
If a major fix is going to happen (new turbos, trans, etc) then the best thing to do is take your car back to where it was originaly flashed to have the OEM software put on.
So the stock program is not the OEM software, it is just a map that resembles the stock settings, correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #68
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoostedBMWM3 View Post
AND, the dealer can't read the code at all even if they "update" the computer??

Also, I never thought this would be available with flash tuning.
The dealer will have no clue if on the stock setting.
If they update the ECU then they'll just overwrite the GIAC software.
So, you just go back to the place that flashed you to begin with and get your flash back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICUS View Post
So the stock program is not the OEM software, it is just a map that resembles the stock settings, correct?
Yes, this has been talked about quite a bit.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #69
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

i'm bump'n
because i'm counting the days til GIAC flashes the N55.
i luv that flash loader.
      07-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #70
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiE90 View Post
i'm bump'n
because i'm counting the days til GIAC flashes the N55.
i luv that flash loader.
That will happen. My N55 is going to GIAC shortly.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #71
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
WTF?
u have an N55?
N55 what? u get a 335... let me guess 135 DCT, has to be!

Harold did you test ur filter.
pm me, I can dyno.
and let me know when ur N55 goes to GIAC i wanna tag alone and
learn.

sorry Mr.5 to thread jack.
      07-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #72
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Wow this looks amazing. If I was keeping my 335i I would definitely get this.
      07-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #73
htoudiee
HT
Rep
Drives: BMW, AMG

This is awesome. I have some usuall questions (like most people):
- Can S1 guys get this?
- What does it take
- When is it available?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #74
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Damn, and I was just in SB on Monday...
      07-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #75
335timb
New Member no longer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Dealer overwriting....

IF we have both a Stage I or II flash AND the "stock-like" software, and we switch to the latter before going to the dealership, then if the dealership updates the software, they'll only overwrite the stock-like portion, correct? We could then use the switcher to go back to our stage I or II software, which would have been untouched by the dealer's update. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #76
s.myrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i E90

Nope - you'll need a reflash.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #77
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335timb View Post
IF we have both a Stage I or II flash AND the "stock-like" software, and we switch to the latter before going to the dealership, then if the dealership updates the software, they'll only overwrite the stock-like portion, correct? We could then use the switcher to go back to our stage I or II software, which would have been untouched by the dealer's update. Is this correct?
Wrong, wrong wrong!

1. You can't have both stage1 and stage2. Guys, for the MILLIONTH TIME NOW, the ECU has limited amounts of memory. When you get GIAC software they will wipe the entire ECU and put their code which MAY include up to 3 different settings based on your fuel (depending on how many you purchase). Call them maps, call them presets, call them anything you want. There is a 91 octane, 93 octane, 98 octane maps and of course valet map which cuts the boost. You are NOT running multiple versions of the same ECU software! You are simply altering parameters!

2. If the dealer overwrites your software, its GONE, DONE, FINISHED, CAPUT, regardless of how many maps you purchased with your flash loader! You will need to go back to GIAC dealer to get your GIAC flash installed again!

In most cases, there will be a fee for having your car reflashed after the dealer updates your ECU. Why? Because the installer wastes their time reflashing your ECU. You also have to wait and see if GIAC can create a software version based on your new OEM software. Sometimes this can take months!
      07-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #78
335timb
New Member no longer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

'OR' not 'AND'

vasillalov,

I didn't write stage I "AND" stage II, wrote "OR." Please read carefully before reacting harshly.

I appreciate knowing that regardless of whether or not I can switch back and forth from Stage I OR II to stock-like, a dealer overwrite clears it all. This really lessesns the need for a switcher, since I'd have to go back to the GIAC installer for a reflash regardless... I'll just pass on the whole multiple maps with switchability, and go with (in my case) a Stage I flash.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #79
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335timb View Post
vasillalov,

I'll just pass on the whole multiple maps with switchability, and go with (in my case) a Stage I flash.

Thanks guys.

Sorry for loosing it a bit there... It just that GIAC has been tuning cars for well over a decade now and it seems to me that people should have done a little bit more research.

The point of the map switcher is that it gives you the ability to take advantage of higher octane fuels whenever you want to. A lot of VW/AUDI/Porsche owners initially started with just one map + valet mode which is always there. Later on they found out that they really wanted the ability to run higher octane fuels and take advantage of that. So they upgraded.

Regardless of whether you choose Stage 1 or Stage 2, you can still purchase different "maps" and use the hand held map switcher. Also, in either case, if you go to the BMW dealer to get new software update, you will still loose your GIAC tune and would have to get your car reflashed.
      07-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #80
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I've been lurking and researching various engine tuning options for various brands of automobiles over the last decade. Simply put you have the following choices:

PIGGY-BACKS:
Pros:
* Maintain your OEM software intact. Great for dealership visits and OEM software updates
* Highly customizable to user, in most cases.
* Better data logging abilities
* Can be cheaper

Cons:
* Power delivery is not nearly as smooth compared to ECU flash
* Somewhat complicated to deal with and require lots of tinkering if you start messing with the different maps
* Become obsolete more quickly as a newer versions are released

ECU Flashes (a.k.a. chip tuning):
Pros:
*Unmatched smoothness of power delivery. Often produce more power.
* Simplicity. You don't even have to open your hood to get it installed. No user adjustables to mess with and fuck up.
* Safer, more reliable. NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!

Cons:
* Need to reflash every time you get an OEM Software upgrade and you might have to wait a long time before the tuner releases a flash version based off the latest OEM software update
* Less user adjustability
* Can be more expensive

Just so you know, I am still running on stock ECU with factory software. My car has never been updated @ dealer. I realize that there are a few options for our cars out there and I have carefully evaluated each one of them. I am not partial to ANY tuner at this moment, although I must say that I am postponing my tune purchased because I am waiting for GIAC Stage 2+ to be released officially. I don't like BETA software.
      07-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #81
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I've been lurking and researching various engine tuning options for various brands of automobiles over the last decade. Simply put you have the following choices:

PIGGY-BACKS:
Pros:
* Maintain your OEM software intact. Great for dealership visits and OEM software updates
* Highly customizable to user, in most cases.
* Better data logging abilities
* Can be cheaper

Cons:
* Power delivery is not nearly as smooth compared to ECU flash
* Somewhat complicated to deal with and require lots of tinkering if you start messing with the different maps
* Become obsolete more quickly as a newer versions are released

ECU Flashes (a.k.a. chip tuning):
Pros:
*Unmatched smoothness of power delivery. Often produce more power.
* Simplicity. You don't even have to open your hood to get it installed. No user adjustables to mess with and fuck up.
* Safer, more reliable. NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!

Cons:
* Need to reflash every time you get an OEM Software upgrade and you might have to wait a long time before the tuner releases a flash version based off the latest OEM software update
* Less user adjustability
* Can be more expensive

Just so you know, I am still running on stock ECU with factory software. My car has never been updated @ dealer. I realize that there are a few options for our cars out there and I have carefully evaluated each one of them. I am not partial to ANY tuner at this moment, although I must say that I am postponing my tune purchased because I am waiting for GIAC Stage 2+ to be released officially. I don't like BETA software.
I am running GIAC stage 1 and love it - no codes, no messing around with the ECU, etc. The dealer reflashed my software with the latest OE version a few months ago. GIAC had to design a new flash. They were able to do a full DME read on my new OE software, design a new GIAC flash and install it in my car in about four hours. After running GIAC for several months I would never go back to any of the piggybacks. When the flashloader is available the piggyback prices will probably plunge. If you are still considering a piggyback I would wait several months when the prices should be a lot less.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #82
JhnR
Laker Land
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

I come from a VW mk5. and I had GIAC on my car as well as APR (another majore software co) and never had a problem with neither.

As some members said earlier, everytime there was a dealer software update, you had to take the car back to your closest GIAC/APR dealer and get flashed FOR FREE.

I dont understand why in the BMW community you have to pay extra to get Flashed for something you already paid.

And GIAC had stock OEM maps for VW/Audi. So they will have one for BMW if they dont already do.
      07-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #83
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

So I'm assuming that stage II won't be avalible for the n55 at this time sibce there aren't any dp or intakes?
      07-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #84
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnR View Post
I come from a VW mk5. and I had GIAC on my car as well as APR (another majore software co) and never had a problem with neither.

As some members said earlier, everytime there was a dealer software update, you had to take the car back to your closest GIAC/APR dealer and get flashed FOR FREE.

I dont understand why in the BMW community you have to pay extra to get Flashed for something you already paid.

And GIAC had stock OEM maps for VW/Audi. So they will have one for BMW if they dont already do.
You may have been lucky. The GIAC/APR dealers may or may not charge a small fee for reflashing.

BMW releases software updates every fucking week or so it seems. VAG takes longer between updates so the tuners have more time to adapt.
      07-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #85
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
You may have been lucky. The GIAC/APR dealers may or may not charge a small fee for reflashing.

BMW releases software updates every fucking week or so it seems. VAG takes longer between updates so the tuners have more time to adapt.
Vasillalov is correct. I think you were just lucky.
It all depends on the dealer that flashed your car.
IMO, it is great customer service for a dealer to reflash a car for free but at the same time...time is money and if one were to take away a tech for 30 minutes instead of them performing a brake job, oil change, etc. then I can see why the charge is valid.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #86
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
So I'm assuming that stage II won't be avalible for the n55 at this time sibce there aren't any dp or intakes?
      07-31-2010, 04:18 AM   #87
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
i think you answer that yourself.... there is not even stage 1 available for the n55.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #88
faded67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Keep in mind guys unless you absolutely need to switch on the fly, the flash file has the switching module built in, so you could also switch using the free downloadable flashloader app on the GIAC site. You would just need to get a USB to OBDII adapter and just use a laptop. GIAC confirmed this for me yesterday. I don't see myself needing anything except one map and the occaisional "stock" setting for dealership visits.
Appreciate 0