BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #45
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
What you aren't adding into the equation is that low and midrange torque are actually the greatest benefactors of the primary deletes not peak horsepower. Pullies don't add any real power until deep into the rev range of the S65, while test pipes start as soon as the engine builds some torque.
Dave
True indeed and I understand that however, I have the Bpm tune which really smoothed out the power and spread it throughout the entire power band. That along with the Dct tune, Servotronic, M Performance exhaust and BCM drop in air intake filter & she's a blast to drive. The pulley kit is just the icing on top up top!

Maybe if I tracked her I would consider some test pipes, but even then I would just go with the Akra Evo full exhaust!
      08-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #46
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I totally understand the desire to keep the noise down on the M3. One of the things I love most is its duality: luxuriously quiet at cruise, performance mean at WOT. I understand the desire to maintain that. And I say that as someone with the Akra Evo on his car.

Anyway, the discussion got off track a bit. How easy is it to swap the Dinan pulley yourself for someone with modest mechanical ability? Will any pulley DIY work? For example, I believe AA makes a good DIY for its pulley.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #47
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Anyway, the discussion got off track a bit. How easy is it to swap the Dinan pulley yourself for someone with modest mechanical ability? Will any pulley DIY work? For example, I believe AA makes a good DIY for its pulley.
To be honest I’m not quite sure, I’m not very mechanically inclined so I will be taking her to the dealership for the install. From what I understand they say it’s not too intense, here a link that walks you through the install http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271330 (this particular install is on the Rogue pulley; however it should be the same steps)

I’m sure any pulley will work, however I myself would only go with the Dinan pulley kit. It’s backed by Dinan’s industry leading 4year/50,000 mile warranty so I know it’s the best quality product for her. Which gives me peace of mind; therefore if something were to go wrong it would be backed by my warranty.
      08-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #48
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

That looks sort of a pita to do. I dont want to mess with any belts or fans etc. stick to them bolts under the car! Hah
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #49
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
That looks sort of a pita to do. I dont want to mess with any belts or fans etc. stick to them bolts under the car! Hah
How so? That looks really straight forward actually.

Still not interested in doing this mod though.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #50
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/4 life View Post
You are indeed correct 20hp+ > 11hp+ however, IMO and extra 9hp is not worth the headache of possibly voiding your warranty as well as the hassle you have to go through every year come inspection time.

Furthermore I concur, I don’t think Mike would charge me an extra grand to upgrade since I already have stage 1 (but for those who don’t have a tune they’re looking at a grand) nevertheless he'll charge me. So the pipes & tune will still run me more than the pulley kit!

Don’t get me wrong I understand why people do the test pipes; it’s just not my cup of tea, as I said before I love the sound of my MPE as is! It doesn’t give much of a power increase but the sound is priceless & exactly what I was looking for when I purchased the exhaust!
This car needs a tune anyway, so that's irrelevant, and Mike charges $100 to change stages (or does it for free if within 6 months of original purchase).

The comparison is really 20>0, since the pipes give power immediately whereas the pulley doesn't kick in till the very top of the rev band. For daily driving, pulley does nothing (although some people say it makes the car run more smoothly, which is a subjective result I have seen attributed to everything from DME tunes to Euro DCT coding to air intakes). In daily driving, the pulley does nothing, where is the torque from the pipes is immensely useful.

Voided warranty with pipes? Of what? The dealer is far more likely to void your warranty over a pulley, which is a direct modification of your engine and every accessory being underdriven.

And it's funny you bring up cost comparisons, considering the sound of your $2500 exhaust can be replicated/surpassed with a $200 ACM mod.

In conclusion, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #51
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
This car needs a tune anyway, so that's irrelevant, and Mike charges $100 to change stages (or does it for free if within 6 months of original purchase).

The comparison is really 20>0, since the pipes give power immediately whereas the pulley doesn't kick in till the very top of the rev band. For daily driving, pulley does nothing (although some people say it makes the car run more smoothly, which is a subjective result I have seen attributed to everything from DME tunes to Euro DCT coding to air intakes). In daily driving, the pulley does nothing, where is the torque from the pipes is immensely useful.

Voided warranty with pipes? Of what? The dealer is far more likely to void your warranty over a pulley, which is a direct modification of your engine and every accessory being underdriven.

And it's funny you bring up cost comparisons, considering the sound of your $2500 exhaust can be replicated/surpassed with a $200 ACM mod.

In conclusion, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Sounds like you need a hug.......

Last edited by M3/4 life; 08-27-2013 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #52
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Sounds like you've never seen Billy Madison, so you are as sheltered as you are misinformed.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #53
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds like you've never seen Billy Madison, so you are as sheltered as you are misinformed.
      08-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #54
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:

Ahh a simple no would have done just fine (Billy Madison FTW)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #55
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
What you aren't adding into the equation is that low and midrange torque are actually the greatest benefactors of the primary deletes not peak horsepower. Pullies don't add any real power until deep into the rev range of the S65, while test pipes start as soon as the engine builds some torque.

Its your car do what you want, but the deletion of the primary cats is the biggest bang for the buck. I did underdrive pullies on my 2011, and will probably skip it this time around. Didn't think they even made 9rwhp. The test pipes was a mod you definitely felt.

Funny thing is I sold my 2011 M3, bought a new 2013 M3 and shocked on how slow it feels compared to my modded 2011. Thats when you really notice it, when you lose the power..not so much when you gain it.

The neat thing about Cali is we don't have to smog our cars for the first 5 yrs. when they are new. Also we are switching to an OBDII system not a sniffer. As long as all readiness codes are present except one (current legislation) then you pass. However, I would trade your gun laws in a minute for ours even if we had to do an annual inspection.

Dave
Took all my thoughts right out of my head as I was reading through. Best post on this thread so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #56
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
First and foremost I would like to take the time out to thank everyone who contributed to this thread regarding Test Pipes! However, as the title states, this is a thread about an underdrive pulley kit (the Dinan Underdrive Pulley kit to be exact) I never once inquired about test pipes nor am I interested in purchasing or running test pipes, I’ve already purchased the exhaust system I wanted. The question at hand was/is about the Dinan underdrive pulley kit which is backed by Dinan’s industry leading 4 year/50,000 mile warranty!

Matter of fact here is my original post:

I’ve been thinking about purchasing the Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit for it claims an additional +11 horsepower @ 8400 rpm and +7 lb-ft torque @ 8400 rpm.

For all who have the Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit how do you like it? For all that are running another brand of Underdrive Pulley kit what are your thoughts on it compared to the Dinan? Do you feel it makes a difference?

Thanks in advance,

So to all my test pipe junkies, thank you all for coming out God Bless & Good night!!

Now let’s get back to the regular scheduled program……
      08-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #57
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
First and foremost I would like to take the time out to thank everyone who contributed to this thread regarding Test Pipes! However, as the title states, this is a thread about an underdrive pulley kit (the Dinan Underdrive Pulley kit to be exact) I never once inquired about test pipes nor am I interested in purchasing or running test pipes, I’ve already purchased the exhaust system I wanted. The question at hand was/is about the Dinan underdrive pulley kit which is backed by Dinan’s industry leading 4 year/50,000 mile warranty!

I’ve been thinking about purchasing the Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit for it claims an additional +11 horsepower @ 8400 rpm and +7 lb-ft torque @ 8400 rpm.

For all who have the Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit how do you like it? For all that are running another brand of Underdrive Pulley kit what are your thoughts on it compared to the Dinan? Do you feel it makes a difference?

Thanks in advance,

So to all my test pipe junkies, thank you all for coming out God Bless & Good night!!

And that's why a lot of people through up TP. Think about this:
11 horsepower out of 414 = 2.7%, at 8400 RPM. And this is "claimed" gains too.

Talked to a few people and they said if they could do it again, they wouldn't bother.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #58
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

If I could do the pulley kit again I wouldn't hesitate to do it. You'll notice no difference with your accessories running. I keep my A/C blowing cold (Hot Ass H-Town....I don't have a choice) and my temps are as normal as the day my car came off the boat. I say go for it and don't look back............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #59
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
And that's why a lot of people through up TP. Think about this:
11 horsepower out of 414 = 2.7%, at 8400 RPM. And this is "claimed" gains too.

Talked to a few people and they said if they could do it again, they wouldn't bother.
I understand & respect your point of view as well as the others who have chimed in recommending test pipes as the best bang for the buck, to each their own (as the saying goes) However, I’m not interested! I have no interest in polluting the environment anymore than it already is, regardless of the % to hp ratio per dollar spent.

I mean if that’s the case everyone who goes out and buys the Akra Evo for $6,000 might as well get a supercharger instead. I mean 150hp > 25hp (simply a rough estimate) & 50lbs weight savings right? I mean if we’re calculating % to hp ratio per dollar spent!

I’m not trying to convince anyone to go out and purchase the Dinan underdrive pulley kit, I’m simply inquiring on the product so that I can decide if I would like to purchase the Dinan underdrive pulley kit for myself. Again I respect the opinions of all those who have chimed in regarding test pipes, I appreciate the input!
      08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #60
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
If I could do the pulley kit again I wouldn't hesitate to do it. You'll notice no difference with your accessories running. I keep my A/C blowing cold (Hot Ass H-Town....I don't have a choice) and my temps are as normal as the day my car came off the boat. I say go for it and don't look back............Phil
Appreciate the input Phil
      08-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #61
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I understand & respect your point of view as well as the others who have chimed in recommending test pipes as the best bang for the buck, to each their own (as the saying goes) However, I’m not interested! I have no interest in polluting the environment anymore than it already is, regardless of the % to hp ratio per dollar spent.

I mean if that’s the case everyone who goes out and buys the Akra Evo for $6,000 might as well get a supercharger instead. I mean 150hp > 25hp (simply a rough estimate) & 50lbs weight savings right? I mean if we’re calculating % to hp ratio per dollar spent!

I’m not trying to convince anyone to go out and purchase the Dinan underdrive pulley kit, I’m simply inquiring on the product so that I can decide if I would like to purchase the Dinan underdrive pulley kit for myself. Again I respect the opinions of all those who have chimed in regarding test pipes, I appreciate the input!
Umm not that you mention it, yes I think I'd rather have a supercharger than Akra evo. But that's another story completely.

A couple of us told you about the pulleys. I know of a few guys that said they probably wouldn't buy another if it was up to them. But you seem to really want it, your money, so go for it. And if that's the case, not sure what else we could tell you that hasn't already been said.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #62
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

The dealers in the Bay area have zero issues with Dinan mods...maybe because they're a local company, but I don't hear of many Dinan mods being challenged by dealers in any location. In 1-2 instances when there has been a dispute, I have heard that Dinan totally stands up to their warranty on both the part and any perceived causal effects on other components and will cover those. Actually Dinan will even talk to the dealer and try to work things out (they have a great relationship with BMW) and if that fails, Dinan will step up (reputational capital is extremely important to them). Pretty good peace of mind if you ask me, and yes I would do the pulley over again... it is more top-end oriented in terms of hp gained but isn't that where all the fun is anyway?

Last edited by FogCityM3; 08-27-2013 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #63
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
The dealers in the Bay area have zero issues with Dinan mods...maybe because they're a local company, but I don't hear of many Dinan mods being challenged by dealers in any location. In 1-2 instances when there has been a dispute, I have heard that Dinan totally stands up to their warranty on both the part and any perceived causal effects on other components and will cover those. Actually Dinan will even talk to the dealer and try to work things out (they have a great relationship with BMW) and if that fails, Dinan will step up. Pretty good peace of mind if you ask me, and yes I would do the pulley over again... it is more top-end oriented in terms of hp gained but isn't that where all the fun is anyway?
Appreciate the input Fog; I’ve heard the same about Dinan which indeed does give me peace of mind! And the fact that it’s top end oriented makes it that much more relevant for as you said, “That’s where all the fun is anyways”!
      08-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #64
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Yes, that was your initial post, and you got the response you were looking for. Then you made a statement how you want to hit 400hp at the wheel and that the pulley is the best bang for the buck. You were very politely corrected. You then launched a diatribe full of misinformation about how pipes aren't worth the hassle, in bright red letters, no less. I am glad you now see the error of your ways and can accept that you were wrong. Not wanting to get test pipes due to environmental concerns is a valid reason, although a tad overblown in this case. If you want that 400, though, you're going to have to ditch those primary cats one way or another.

That being out of the way, you are quite welcome, and I hope you will enjoy your pulley.

P.S. Technically, Dinan's warranty is not 40,000/5 years, but whatever remains of your factory warranty. If you are out of warranty, they will cover it for two years from date of purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #65
M3/4 life
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, that was your initial post, and you got the response you were looking for. Then you made a statement how you want to hit 400hp at the wheel and that the pulley is the best bang for the buck. You were very politely corrected. You then launched a diatribe full of misinformation about how pipes aren't worth the hassle, in bright red letters, no less. I am glad you now see the error of your ways and can accept that you were wrong. Not wanting to get test pipes due to environmental concerns is a valid reason, although a tad overblown in this case. If you want that 400, though, you're going to have to ditch those primary cats one way or another.

That being out of the way, you are quite welcome, and I hope you will enjoy your pulley.

P.S. Technically, Dinan's warranty is not 40,000/5 years, but whatever remains of your factory warranty. If you are out of warranty, they will cover it for two years from date of purchase.
Thank you for your input...... you have a wonderful evening!
      08-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #66
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your input...... you have a wonderful evening!
And you as well, my friend! While we're off-topic, did you get BPM's "standard" Servotronic? Or did you customize it? How do you like it?
Appreciate 0