BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Coolant expansion tank bulletin from BMW

05-11-2024, 01:37 PM   #67
FlipperMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5C LCI [F90]

If they dont have the ‘new’ tank then they’re not going to replace it with the old version. I guess it’s a supply/stock issue for the tank. My car (not taken delivery but have signed the finance and got the reg docs…) was on the ramp for a day and a half…..they determined after that it didnt need the injectors replacing…Maybe they’re trying to reduce warranty repairs but putting stop-sell’s on these…..it seems quite drastic though. Maybe the damage has knackered a couple of engines and the cost/benefit doesnt stack up to allow the sales to go through until they’re repaired…
Appreciate 1
NGT25766.00
      05-11-2024, 06:51 PM   #68
Chaqui
Registered
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Hello all,

I've been eyeing a 2021 M5 Comp at my local BMW dealership for the past week, but due to this recent recall that's triggered a stop-sale, they can't sell it to me right now. They have two other M5s caught in the same situation.

It's a bit frustrating that this happened just as I was about to purchase my M5, but hopefully, this means I'll avoid the coolant tank issues that others have faced—if BMW handles the fix well, that is. The dealer seems keen to make the sale, so I'm confident they'll update me the moment the stop-sale is lifted. Fingers crossed it doesn't take long. I've heard from them that the duration of recalls can vary; some are quick, while others not so much, and currently, there's no ETA on when it might be resolved.

I'll keep you all posted with any updates!

Last edited by Chaqui; 05-11-2024 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2024, 08:12 PM   #69
MarcoF90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TLX Type-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaqui View Post
Hello all,

I've been eyeing a 2021 M5 Comp at my local BMW dealership for the past week, but due to this recent recall that's triggered a stop-sale, they can't sell it to me right now. They have two other M5s caught in the same situation.

It's a bit frustrating that this happened just as I was about to purchase my M5, but hopefully, this means I'll avoid the coolant tank issues that others have faced—if BMW handles the fix well, that is. The dealer seems keen to make the sale, so I'm confident they'll update me the moment the stop-sale is lifted. Fingers crossed it doesn't take long. I've heard from them that the duration of recalls can vary; some are quick, while others not so much, and currently, there's no ETA on when it might be resolved.

I'll keep you all posted with any updates!
This wouldn't happen to be the 2021 with the Individual color that I mentioned earlier in the thread? I see we live in the same state, the salesman I spoke to there told me that a few people had made some inquiries on that particular M5

I wasn't even able to atleast take a gander at it in person while I was there haha

Last edited by MarcoF90; 05-11-2024 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 12:03 AM   #70
M5Neededi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5, Ram 1500

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmellion View Post
Check this out! Looks like BMW is finally making moves to fix the expansion tank issues! About time!
Thank you for posting this! Did you get to see the page 2? I wonder if there is some info on the new part.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 02:27 AM   #71
hookson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 2015, M5 2019

Bulletin updated. No new part. BMW is just trolling us at this point. Replace old leaking POS with same leaking POS.

PS. Taking orders for coolant catch pans lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-12-2024, 07:15 AM   #72
Chaqui
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoF90 View Post
This wouldn't happen to be the 2021 with the Individual color that I mentioned earlier in the thread? I see we live in the same state, the salesman I spoke to there told me that a few people had made some inquiries on that particular M5

I wasn't even able to atleast take a gander at it in person while I was there haha
Haha, nah that one is all yours chief. I’m buying my car in California, not in Maryland. Hope you’re able to lock it down. 🤞🏽
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2024, 08:16 AM   #73
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
In theory there should not be a new part since MY23 cars built after a certain date are not included in this campaign. That means they think the new tank released near the end of 2022 doesn't leak. I know some on this forum say it does but I'm not convinced that is the case since an overfill leak looks similar to a failed tank leak. Or it is a case of infant mortality if the new tank leaks within months of install. And based on how poor some service departments seem on this forum it's possible some people didn't even get the new tank part number when getting warranty work. A similar thing happened with the HPFP on my wife's E90 with the N54 in the first model year. Her first replacement was old stock and failed within a year. The next pump lasted at least until we sold the car at 140k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 09:17 AM   #74
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
In theory there should not be a new part since MY23 cars built after a certain date are not included in this campaign. That means they think the new tank released near the end of 2022 doesn't leak. I know some on this forum say it does but I'm not convinced that is the case since an overfill leak looks similar to a failed tank leak. Or it is a case of infant mortality if the new tank leaks within months of install. And based on how poor some service departments seem on this forum it's possible some people didn't even get the new tank part number when getting warranty work. A similar thing happened with the HPFP on my wife's E90 with the N54 in the first model year. Her first replacement was old stock and failed within a year. The next pump lasted at least until we sold the car at 140k miles.
Well, when I talked to the dealer yesterday they said that there is no replacement part available yet. So I do not believe that they are installing the old part.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 09:44 AM   #75
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post
Well, when I talked to the dealer yesterday they said that there is no replacement part available yet. So I do not believe that they are installing the old part.
I think they are waiting for the above document for the US. That document already lists the part numbers that the latest builds and warranty work should have gotten. It specifically states that those part numbers should not be replaced. Since this is being done as an emissions related fix in NA they probably have to do a lot of paperwork to satisfy the bureaucracy. And the dealers need the codes to charge for labor, injectors, coolant and the tanks so they get reimbursed correctly from BMWNA.

At least they are finally acknowledging a problem that people have been dealing with for years. They probably got enough warranty claims to move the statistics enough to cause action.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2024, 09:58 AM   #76
Oz M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Well, after 4 weeks and a significant lightening of the wallet, I picked up my '19 M5C from RK Autowerks yesterday with a rebuilt engine and RK Billet Tank...

Wonder if I can at least get BMW to pay for the replaced injectors that were already replaced when hunting down the issue. I have the old ones which all show signs of leaking coolant.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
NGT25766.00
GTTC62.00
      05-12-2024, 01:03 PM   #77
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz M5 View Post
Well, after 4 weeks and a significant lightening of the wallet, I picked up my '19 M5C from RK Autowerks yesterday with a rebuilt engine and RK Billet Tank...

Wonder if I can at least get BMW to pay for the replaced injectors that were already replaced when hunting down the issue. I have the old ones which all show signs of leaking coolant.
What are the details of the work performed by RK Autowerks? How was the service and how long have you had the car back?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 02:30 PM   #78
Oz M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
What are the details of the work performed by RK Autowerks? How was the service and how long have you had the car back?
Per my post, picked up yesterday.
Full engine rebuild to stock spec (not forged). Check their website for full details.
Service was very good. Kept me informed throughout the process. Only point of improvement would be to wash the car before pickup.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 03:05 PM   #79
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 / 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz M5 View Post

Great news! Hopefully I’ll see you cruising around Houston.
      05-13-2024, 09:33 AM   #80
MarcoF90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TLX Type-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaqui View Post
Haha, nah that one is all yours chief. I’m buying my car in California, not in Maryland. Hope you’re able to lock it down. 🤞🏽
We'll see, silverstone isn't my preferred interior color. As nice as Individual Snapper Rocks Blue is the salesmen let me know of another one they have hidden away that is an individual color I want.

But alas I'm taking my time, I'll get my desired M5 in due time. I won't rush the process.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 10:35 AM   #81
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 520i (Stock)

This is also another alternative. I might do this instead just because its an actual "expansion" tank rather than a completely solid aluminum piece that doesn't expand. I don't wanna risk the chance of blowing something else.

https://mpireauto.myshopify.com/prod...relocation-kit
      05-13-2024, 11:48 AM   #82
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The G30 tank looks smaller. Do you know the volume of each? I don’t know which G30 it comes from. If from another V8 turbo with similar cooling system capacity, it is probably OK. And you have to get rid of the factory air boxes and use filters in the hot engine bay or filters exposed to water behind the grille.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 11:55 AM   #83
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlthnmrdrd View Post
This is also another alternative. I might do this instead just because its an actual "expansion" tank rather than a completely solid aluminum piece that doesn't expand. I don't wanna risk the chance of blowing something else.

https://mpireauto.myshopify.com/prod...relocation-kit
I wonder about that option because it looks like the tank ends up slightly lower than the factory position. That might cause air to get trapped in the system. Note that "expansion" refers to the coolant not the tank. The tank is rigid.

Since the recall ends with Jan/2023 build dates that implies the replacement tank is good and will last "the service life" of the vehicle, however long BMW considers that to be
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 05:54 PM   #84
Chaqui
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoF90 View Post
We'll see, silverstone isn't my preferred interior color. As nice as Individual Snapper Rocks Blue is the salesmen let me know of another one they have hidden away that is an individual color I want.

But alas I'm taking my time, I'll get my desired M5 in due time. I won't rush the process.
Haha I'm just hoping this stop sale comes off soon, I don't want to keep waiting.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2024, 08:56 PM   #85
Rafichicago
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Well i had slight leak from mine as well so joining the team of leaky tanks I didn’t pick it up yet because of hectic day however I know that spark plugs and coils on this bank were replaced. I’ll let you know if there was anything else. Mine is 2018 with 40K on the odometer. I noticed very slight vibration (misfire) at idle recently so that led me to drop it off. On a side note it really doesn’t surprise me at all. I’ve probably had 8 BMWs and each one had cooling related problem. Crappy cooling design using same materials failing in identical way is BMW feature. It should be on window sticker listed as standard equipment.
Appreciate 1
Oz M555.50
      05-13-2024, 09:21 PM   #86
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I think the crappy cooling failures on BMWs over the years are not the same. First there were weak plastic side tank radiators. Then there were weak nipples on plastic hose ends. Around the same time, electric coolant pumps and plastic thermostat housings failed. Now it is the coolant tank. I changed mine as preventative maintenance and also took some proactive steps to reduce stress on the tank by reducing radiant heat and coolant temperatures. Doubt I have solved the problem and am looking forward to an improved tank.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 09:45 PM   #87
mrichard89
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M and BMW m340i

Also waiting on a remedy so I can pick up my M5 in Denver. Stop sale went into place before they could complete certified inspection and complete financing.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 10:00 PM   #88
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I have not read of a new tank design. Hopefully they are working on it. There are 2 or 3 part numbers for tanks currently and from what I have read, all have experienced failures.

There is as NHTSA document that says the problem is due to a chemical reaction. I am not expert, but think the problem is heat or pressure that is causing the cap to blow off coolant and in some cases the seam between the upper and lower parts of the tank moldings to leak.

Hope BMW does come up with an improved tank. Hioe further that there is a recall and we all get one for free. In the meantime, I will continue inspecting mine regularly.
Appreciate 0