BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Brake squeal - Anything to be done?

10-21-2022, 09:24 PM   #23
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarejh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphT5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch65 View Post
The Steel Brakes were updated for the 2023 M5's. They are supposed to be quiet. We'll see. The updated parts have been available at dealers since June.
My 2023 M5 has 2.3k miles and have yet to have the break squeal. Maybe BMW has it fixed.
My 18 has 57k miles and have never had break squeal. Dealer installed OEM pads. My only complaint is the damn brake dust. Im gonna need to fork out some money to get those pads from RG motorsport.
Probably the luckiest person on this forum in that regard.
Same here after 1.5 years. Never heard a sound out of my steel brakes.
Super lucky as well. How many miles? And non-CCB pre-LCI IIRC?
      10-22-2022, 11:10 AM   #24
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
That's a good idea about swapping the rotors and pads over to carbon ceramic if you can keep your calipers. I didn't know that anyone made a carbon rotor that would fit the M5 steel calipers. I don't know anything about the brand, but certainly worth looking into.

Agree that the steels bite hard and perform great.
For what it’s worth, after some research and probably other information on here, it appears the calipers for the f90 ccb or steel are the same caliper.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but it appears they are identical except for the color.

Don’t take this for 100% fact, but that’s what I’m seeing, and would need a little more confirmation but looks like you could just put carbo rotors and pads and then some coding I think. I see conflicting information regarding booster/ master cylinder needing to be swapped but for now it appears the carbon rotors and pads would work with the blue steel calipers.

Still an expensive option. But maybe a little easier than we may think to make the car have CCBs.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 11:37 AM   #25
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
The Steel Brakes were updated for the 2023 M5's. They are supposed to be quiet. We'll see. The updated parts have been available at dealers since June.
Wonder where we could find information on this?

If it was bmw, a tsb, or a service advisor or something who was given information that they “fixed it for 2023”, that tells me right there, there is clearly an issue or flaw in them before 2023, but yet we’re told “it’s normal” at bmw and on the forum here from certain folks.

It’s not normal if they changed something or made a fix, then we should all press them for a fix for previous years as well since it has to have been brought up 1,000s of times.

I even found a video with the head bmw M engineer who said specifically minor squeaks are normal(especially when wet) . However he goes on to say extended or prolonged squeaking is not normal and should be brought up to bmw service.

My noise is certainly not an intermittent minor squeak. It’s a squeak & loud squeal noise literally every time I come to a stop. Not intermittent.

I feel like the dealers have kind of made this become “normal” when it isn’t, and they just took stuff like the bmw video as gospel to say any brake noise is normal.

If they made a “fix” or a “change” that’s acknowledgment that there was an issue before and they should address the owners with the issues and fix it also.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 06:50 AM   #26
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ya Would love to see proof of this claim which I don't think is true.

Also don't think the pads are the full culprit as I've changed pads to the ACG 2 years ago and still get slight squeal in the fall/winter. They go away during the summer but as of a couple weeks ago are back.

My oem pads on my '20 never squeaked. But I changed them for the brake dust. And I wouldn't change them back over the squeak lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #27
916_M5
IG: @M5RCY_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarejh View Post
My 18 has 57k miles and have never had break squeal. Dealer installed OEM pads. My only complaint is the damn brake dust. Im gonna need to fork out some money to get those pads from RG motorsport.
isweep pads correct? I'm thinking of going with isweep or racingbrake rotors+pads.

Please let us know how they perform.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 04:01 PM   #28
916_M5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post

Also don't think the pads are the full culprit as I've changed pads to the ACG 2 years ago and still get slight squeal in the fall/winter. They go away during the summer but as of a couple weeks ago are back.

My oem pads on my '20 never squeaked. But I changed them for the brake dust. And I wouldn't change them back over the squeak lol
How is the performance of the ACG pads compared to stock? The break dust substantially less?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 04:33 PM   #29
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
This is correct. The manufacturer TMD Pagid added chamfers to the brake pads. They were available at dealer parts counters starting in June, and are being installed in the 2023 M5's with Steel Brakes according to TMD Pagid. I never had too much brake noise from my 2019 M5 Base, but a friend with a 2020 had lots of noise which is why I contacted the manufacturer directly. If you buy them, just make sure they are the new pads that were added to the dealer parts system in June. My 2023 M5 Comp has zero noise, but only has 900 miles so I need to see what happens in the next few months.

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #30
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916_M5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post

How is the performance of the ACG pads compared to stock? The break dust substantially less?
I have the ACG and im honestly going to try the isweep or endless which is what most ppl recommend, ive had the ACG for 2 yrs when i bought them i think they were the only aftermarket option, but they brake like oem but still produce dust not as much as oem but i feel like its still a good amount, and they still squeak
      10-26-2022, 08:25 PM   #31
916_M5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljeffrey13 View Post
I have the ACG and im honestly going to try the isweep or endless which is what most ppl recommend, ive had the ACG for 2 yrs when i bought them i think they were the only aftermarket option, but they brake like oem but still produce dust not as much as oem but i feel like its still a good amount, and they still squeak
Thank you so much for this insight! This is exactly what I am hearing from others as well. Please report back.

The 3 options i am looking into: iSweep, RacingBrake, and Endless pads.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13113.50
      10-27-2022, 11:40 AM   #32
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljeffrey13 View Post
FYI, got a local guy ran Endless and asked me to take it off and replace it with iSweep.
It was a bit oversize and IIRC still squeal and dusty.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0