F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Metamorphosis – My journey from a Lurker to an Owner – POWER TO THE PUNTER
ARMA SPEED

06-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Soon2Be
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport ---> F80M3 CP

Metamorphosis – My journey from a Lurker to an Owner – POWER TO THE PUNTER

If could sum up my car history in 1 word it would be “practical” allow me to indulge you for a couple of minutes, I promise I’ll get to the point soon enough – I just have to be mindful that my point is to sahre my experience because I want o empower buyers so they approach dealers forearmed with confidence and the knowledge to agree on a great deal for both themselves and the dealer.

I’m 34 married with a 2 year old, always loved cars but I was born poor in terms of money and physical possessions.

First car I bought was back in 2006, this was for my Mum who live overseas, it was a brand spanking new Kia Picanto, in its class its a brilliant little car considering the price you pay.

Car number 2 once I’ve paid of the Kia and now own nothing on it, this time for myself and its 2008, I go for a MINI One Pepper Pack, 2005 plate, 3 years old sub 30K miles – loved it, paid it off then, stuck some Lenso Eagles on it with 17’s Bridgestone Potenza’s and took it up to Southport and installed £1015’s worth of audio equipment in it – fulfilling a teenage dream from my days at Uni

Fast forward to 2011, now married and baby on the way, the MINI has to go, so I’m about to buy a 318d Msport 2 years old, then consider a brand new Alfa after seeing Uma Thurman in a Fiat advert with kids, but upon researching come across a Jeep Compass, SUV, loads of space, more power than i’m used to, all the toys in the top model for a smidgen over 20K – I get it, and it serves me well...until I’m reaching the end of my PCP agreement and start to feel like a soccer mom!

We are now in early Q2 of 2014, we’ve bought a house, baby is a bit bigger so the search begins for a new car, disclaimer: my dream car is C63 AMG – I am working towards picking up a brand new one or equivalent at the time on my 40th birthday in 6 years time. When considering a enw car I’ know i’m buying something that will prepare me for the C63. (There are a few contradictions below, feel free to point them out) My wife’s dream car is a BMW 3 series.

Criteria for my new car:
I do a 60 mile round trip to work everyday, across Central London and onto the M4 and M25 so fuel economy is a very important consideration.
Boot Space – We travel with a toddler and have a Stokke buggy, this thing is huge!
Power – I’m trying to shake the soccer mom feeling and my friend have fast cars, I feel like I need a fast car, how sad am I
Safety: my most precious son will travel with me, safety is very important
Prestige: Its vain, but i kind of want to show the world that I’m progressing, make my Mum proud and all of that

So these are the cars I’m considering:

Audi – A3 Etron(No. 1 choice), A5 177HP – The Etron does 30 miles on electric only, it would destroy my fuel bill – funniest thing, this week i get 2 invites to drive the Etron.
Mercedes Benz - 220 CDI – new shape – this would do something like 70 MPG and its a Merc
Lexus – IS300h – Worst sales people ever after making an inquiry, put me off, kept thinking posh Toyota anyway
BMW – 520d, ater my boss picked up his in April
Jeep – Cherokee 2014

I considered and researched all extensively....but in the interest of time I wont bore you with the details...

I was just waiting for release of the A3 Etron to place an order, with the government grant of 5K it was a good deal and no London Congestion charge either.

But then by chance I stumbled across the stats and specs of a 330d – found this forum and the search was over. I’ve found what I was looking for. Power, Efficiency, space, wow factor, makes the wife happy I could not believe I found this car, is this the car BMW envisioned when they came up with the tag line “Ultimate Driving Machine” I suppose everyone finds their own perfect BMW depending on what your criteria is, but I’m lucky enough to find mine.

Kept a keen eye on a couple for a few weeks, delayed a bit because we had some travelling to do to Bangkok, Perth, Sydney, and Florida ( my new years resolution is to take my little boy to 5 cities around the world in 2014) – so I had some time to see how prices went up and down and how cars were shifting in the market – back from Oz and I make the first important step on Monday 21st April I visit my local dealer, Sytner Canary Wharf, call ahead after hearing an ad on the radio, 520d Msport, professional nav, upgraded rims £339 p/m with 5K deposit, perfect! I say – let me test drive – I call ahead, speak to a sales person named Peter, asks if this is the auto, yes it is, invites me down, I arrive – patiently wait, after some chatter, offered no more than a 5 minute test drive because they are short staffed, takes me on a drive – I like it, I tell them the other cars I’m considering, test drive over stands outside the dealership asks me what I want to do? Go up look at finance figures actually its 369 p/m, no I’m dealing with Sunny who is juggling me and another customer who walked in after me, leaves me for long periods –part exchange on the Jeep he asks? Give me quote I say, we both agree i will get more privately before he checks, he has a look at the Jeep, goes back up to his desk, and goes onto webuyanycar.com and quotes that figure, then tells me he worked for Cargiant and they make it difficult to sell privately so I should settle for his amount. His desk space was a mess with client profiles and folders and he promised to call me back the next day but I’m still waiting, he even had all my email address details ect. no contact.
Worst experience ever – makes me thing that the dealership in Canary Wharf must have more demand thqn they can supply if they are will to treat punters like that. Poor, Poor example of a sales professional. I’ll give him this tho’ he was not pushy, just the opposite, he asked when we can sign off on a deal I said ASAP, he then told me I should go test drive all the other cars I want to consider, and I told him the car I really want is a 330d – he never asked me why, if I wanted to look at one, nothing! After they didn’t call me back I was determined to let the world know about their poor service so people dont feel the way I felt when I approached them to let them have my hard earned cash in exchange for a car.

After driving the 520d and thiking about it, I knew it wasn’t the car for me – the power was the problem, it had to be the 330d but I had to experience it for myself, so I found a stunning example at BMW Park Lane, thats when I came across this awesome forum and the 330 search got serious.

This thread here, this dude was going after the same car at the same time as me, this accelerated my decision.

So off to the dealers to make this dream a reality, I’ve mentally bought the car and far along in the buying process

Given the price and big step up in class of car we were going for, it had to be AUC < 2 years old, 330d Msport at a minimum. Called Park Lane, set an appointment, sales person didn’t confirm the appointment so I assumed car was sold, he got back in touch, appointment back on, I go down on 3rd May to test drive, I had the absolute pleasure of dealing with Barry Tanner - what a great salesman, a real gentleman, the car was equally as good, looked brand new, 4K miles, 1 owner, 62 plate and £28K. so I drove it,, stuck it sport for like 500 meters on Bayswater Road, got addicted to the power and was sold on the spot, fast forward to the introduction and handover tot he Business Manager, what is it about these blokes that make we want to check that I still have my watch on my wrist every time I shake their hands, this chap Richard has a massive Rolex on his hand! so started at 12.9% APR, was never going to happen, told them I expect 4.9% max. They didn’t budge, they agreed that 7.9% was the lowest they have ever seen on AUC but could only do 8.1% and full tank of fuel, if I put down a 3K deposit they would drop the price to 27K, I was pushing for 26K and they flat out refused. I walked away but was ready to do the deal. Repayments were like 374p/m with a £3K deposit.

Agreed to sign off on the paperwork the next afternoon with the Barry!

Now I started the serious “lurking” on this thread, I was doing loads of research, stopped people on the road who I’ve seen driving the car to ask their opinion, I know crazy right! Gives you some feel for how important a decisions this is for me.

Came across a post mentioning Drive the Deal – massive discounts, boom! Checked them out, filled out the form and they called back, brand new car same spec + HK, brand new , high principal amount but less over 4 years and lower repayments. Dealer calls, I tell him about DTD, a lot of call back and comm’s trying to discredit DTD, playing th fear card, dealer experience, tried loads of things which I would as well if I was in their shoes, it came down to price.
Park Lane could do the exact same deal for £1760,77 more and £41.16 more p/m over 4 years for the exact same car and for that extra money I get the satisfaction of buying it from them and peace of mind. I still wanted to give Barry the sale for all the time and effort he invested in me, I work in sales as well so appreciate a decent sales person when I see one. But if I took the emotion out of it, why would I pay £41 extra every month for the next 4 years, that would nag me for a long time, that’s a weeks worth of fuel!( in Eco Pro mode )

Before I knew it order placed with DTD – I knew in my heart of hearts I made some mistakes with the spec, I could of configured it better, I tink, but I was keen to stick to a budget –
BMW 330d
Msport
EBII + black interior
19” rims
HK upgrade – and nothing else
Service pack at £450
Got it at 4.9% APR
Paid 30,497.10 with 3k deposit and £376.59 p/m over 47 months
Order placed expected early July, as quoted by DTD
All i was told was this would be from a dealer in the SE

Later that afternoon, a London based BMW call up(I was politely asked to remove the name of the dealer by DTD) – (I dont mind saying this now because there are no deals on BMW at present, so I’m not robbing "the supplying dealer" of DTD commission, I’m empowering the punter) - edit - apparently they are now about to offer deals again
They advise car will be with me on 30/6, send over paperwork, I sell my Jeep privately, get a hire car for 48 days and wait patiently, reading the forum every day, looking at youtube, living the dream through everyone else on this site. Going to bed dreaming about the car, waking up thinking about it, driving this hired Renault imagining where I’d stick it in Sport mode, how would it feel driving the F30 on this stretch....

So I take my boy to Disneyland mid May, come back to a voicemail left on 31/5 that the car has arrived early, after some calls and pleas, they agree to have the car ready for pickup on 7th June.
Handover was great – dealth with Mo, their “Product Genius” who was excellent, could recommend him highly enough – made sure I wrote to the DP to let her know – another brief but less than pleasurable experience with one of their their Business Manager’s tried to flog me over inflated tyre and gap insurance then reduce the price when I said no thanks – no flowers or anything for the Mrs. , no bubbly on handover, no problem, the way I look at it, I got too good a deal! And it was a transactional deal, didn’t stop mo from providing an amazing handover experience. Half expected them to say, “Internet Order? Here’s the keys, car’s parked out front, it’s the blue one”

The mistakes I think I made, I didn’t order the Msport+ pack, regret not having Xenons’ but it was blowing the budget, i mean where do you draw the line, didn’t spec heated seats, screw it, that warm feeling in my pants makes me feel like I pee’d myself anyway, its not a great feeling! No folding mirrors –but hey i bought it for the power and the emotion which comes with that.

I have the car now, 2 coming on 10 days, feels awesome, had places where I tested it out in Sport, love it – getting it detailed this weekend with paint protection GuardX.

I hope someone benefits from my experience, I love openness and transparency! And thank you all for sharing your thoughts and questions, this is great resource for owners and potential owners alike.

Glad I got that out my system...

I haven’t read this back, its too bloody long so apologies for any typo’s ect.

Last edited by Soon2Be; 06-20-2014 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: DTD politely asked me to remove the supplying dealers name
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Erm can you just delete the first 200 or so words and leave the bit in about getting the car and the spec.

Thanks

And congrats on your new car, a 330?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Summary please?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Great write up mate congratulations on the new car and on sealing a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Summary please?
Op wants new car
Op wants more power and prestige
Op considers options but 330d ticks all boxes and destroys competition.
Op didn't have good experience with local dealer
Op decided against AUC as DTD did better deal on new car
Op now in possession of 330d and very happy
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hey welcome......so in summary.....you bought the best F30 for a good price, the end.

Enjoy

And Jeep Compass? What the HELL where you thinking
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
Op wants new car
Ok read it again....

So a decent deal from heathrow BMW.

Surprised did not get better from Park Lane, the price from heathrow is pretty much same as my Park Lane price.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
abc123
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S8, Tesla M3P, M5C

...and we now know who the DTD BMW dealer was...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Hey welcome......so in summary.....you bought the best F30 for a good price, the end.

Enjoy

And Jeep Compass? What the HELL where you thinking
I do love a one-line summary....
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2Be View Post
If could sum up my car history in 1 word it would be “practical” allow me to indulge you for a couple of minutes, I promise I’ll get to the point soon enough – I just have to be mindful that my point is to sahre my experience because I want o empower buyers so they approach dealers forearmed with confidence and the knowledge to agree on a great deal for both themselves and the dealer.

I’m 34 married with a 2 year old, always loved cars but I was born poor in terms of money and physical possessions.

First car I bought was back in 2006, this was for my Mum who live overseas, it was a brand spanking new Kia Picanto, in its class its a brilliant little car considering the price you pay.

Car number 2 once I’ve paid of the Kia and now own nothing on it, this time for myself and its 2008, I go for a MINI One Pepper Pack, 2005 plate, 3 years old sub 30K miles – loved it, paid it off then, stuck some Lenso Eagles on it with 17’s Bridgestone Potenza’s and took it up to Southport and installed £1015’s worth of audio equipment in it – fulfilling a teenage dream from my days at Uni

Fast forward to 2011, now married and baby on the way, the MINI has to go, so I’m about to buy a 318d Msport 2 years old, then consider a brand new Alfa after seeing Uma Thurman in a Fiat advert with kids, but upon researching come across a Jeep Compass, SUV, loads of space, more power than i’m used to, all the toys in the top model for a smidgen over 20K – I get it, and it serves me well...until I’m reaching the end of my PCP agreement and start to feel like a soccer mom!

We are now in early Q2 of 2014, we’ve bought a house, baby is a bit bigger so the search begins for a new car, disclaimer: my dream car is C63 AMG – I am working towards picking up a brand new one or equivalent at the time on my 40th birthday in 6 years time. When considering a enw car I’ know i’m buying something that will prepare me for the C63. (There are a few contradictions below, feel free to point them out) My wife’s dream car is a BMW 3 series.

Criteria for my new car:
I do a 60 mile round trip to work everyday, across Central London and onto the M4 and M25 so fuel economy is a very important consideration.
Boot Space – We travel with a toddler and have a Stokke buggy, this thing is huge!
Power – I’m trying to shake the soccer mom feeling and my friend have fast cars, I feel like I need a fast car, how sad am I
Safety: my most precious son will travel with me, safety is very important
Prestige: Its vain, but i kind of want to show the world that I’m progressing, make my Mum proud and all of that

So these are the cars I’m considering:

Audi – A3 Etron(No. 1 choice), A5 177HP – The Etron does 30 miles on electric only, it would destroy my fuel bill – funniest thing, this week i get 2 invites to drive the Etron.
Mercedes Benz - 220 CDI – new shape – this would do something like 70 MPG and its a Merc
Lexus – IS300h – Worst sales people ever after making an inquiry, put me off, kept thinking posh Toyota anyway
BMW – 520d, ater my boss picked up his in April
Jeep – Cherokee 2014

I considered and researched all extensively....but in the interest of time I wont bore you with the details...

I was just waiting for release of the A3 Etron to place an order, with the government grant of 5K it was a good deal and no London Congestion charge either.

But then by chance I stumbled across the stats and specs of a 330d – found this forum and the search was over. I’ve found what I was looking for. Power, Efficiency, space, wow factor, makes the wife happy I could not believe I found this car, is this the car BMW envisioned when they came up with the tag line “Ultimate Driving Machine” I suppose everyone finds their own perfect BMW depending on what your criteria is, but I’m lucky enough to find mine.

Kept a keen eye on a couple for a few weeks, delayed a bit because we had some travelling to do to Bangkok, Perth, Sydney, and Florida ( my new years resolution is to take my little boy to 5 cities around the world in 2014) – so I had some time to see how prices went up and down and how cars were shifting in the market – back from Oz and I make the first important step on Monday 21st April I visit my local dealer, Sytner Canary Wharf, call ahead after hearing an ad on the radio, 520d Msport, professional nav, upgraded rims £339 p/m with 5K deposit, perfect! I say – let me test drive – I call ahead, speak to a sales person named Peter, asks if this is the auto, yes it is, invites me down, I arrive – patiently wait, after some chatter, offered no more than a 5 minute test drive because they are short staffed, takes me on a drive – I like it, I tell them the other cars I’m considering, test drive over stands outside the dealership asks me what I want to do? Go up look at finance figures actually its 369 p/m, no I’m dealing with Sunny who is juggling me and another customer who walked in after me, leaves me for long periods –part exchange on the Jeep he asks? Give me quote I say, we both agree i will get more privately before he checks, he has a look at the Jeep, goes back up to his desk, and goes onto webuyanycar.com and quotes that figure, then tells me he worked for Cargiant and they make it difficult to sell privately so I should settle for his amount. His desk space was a mess with client profiles and folders and he promised to call me back the next day but I’m still waiting, he even had all my email address details ect. no contact.
Worst experience ever – makes me thing that the dealership in Canary Wharf must have more demand thqn they can supply if they are will to treat punters like that. Poor, Poor example of a sales professional. I’ll give him this tho’ he was not pushy, just the opposite, he asked when we can sign off on a deal I said ASAP, he then told me I should go test drive all the other cars I want to consider, and I told him the car I really want is a 330d – he never asked me why, if I wanted to look at one, nothing! After they didn’t call me back I was determined to let the world know about their poor service so people dont feel the way I felt when I approached them to let them have my hard earned cash in exchange for a car.

After driving the 520d and thiking about it, I knew it wasn’t the car for me – the power was the problem, it had to be the 330d but I had to experience it for myself, so I found a stunning example at BMW Park Lane, thats when I came across this awesome forum and the 330 search got serious.

This thread here, this dude was going after the same car at the same time as me, this accelerated my decision.

So off to the dealers to make this dream a reality, I’ve mentally bought the car and far along in the buying process

Given the price and big step up in class of car we were going for, it had to be AUC < 2 years old, 330d Msport at a minimum. Called Park Lane, set an appointment, sales person didn’t confirm the appointment so I assumed car was sold, he got back in touch, appointment back on, I go down on 3rd May to test drive, I had the absolute pleasure of dealing with Barry Tanner - what a great salesman, a real gentleman, the car was equally as good, looked brand new, 4K miles, 1 owner, 62 plate and £28K. so I drove it,, stuck it sport for like 500 meters on Bayswater Road, got addicted to the power and was sold on the spot, fast forward to the introduction and handover tot he Business Manager, what is it about these blokes that make we want to check that I still have my watch on my wrist every time I shake their hands, this chap Richard has a massive Rolex on his hand! so started at 12.9% APR, was never going to happen, told them I expect 4.9% max. They didn’t budge, they agreed that 7.9% was the lowest they have ever seen on AUC but could only do 8.1% and full tank of fuel, if I put down a 3K deposit they would drop the price to 27K, I was pushing for 26K and they flat out refused. I walked away but was ready to do the deal. Repayments were like 374p/m with a £3K deposit.

Agreed to sign off on the paperwork the next afternoon with the Barry!

Now I started the serious “lurking” on this thread, I was doing loads of research, stopped people on the road who I’ve seen driving the car to ask their opinion, I know crazy right! Gives you some feel for how important a decisions this is for me.

Came across a post mentioning Drive the Deal – massive discounts, boom! Checked them out, filled out the form and they called back, brand new car same spec + HK, brand new , high principal amount but less over 4 years and lower repayments. Dealer calls, I tell him about DTD, a lot of call back and comm’s trying to discredit DTD, playing th fear card, dealer experience, tried loads of things which I would as well if I was in their shoes, it came down to price.
Park Lane could do the exact same deal for £1760,77 more and £41.16 more p/m over 4 years for the exact same car and for that extra money I get the satisfaction of buying it from them and peace of mind. I still wanted to give Barry the sale for all the time and effort he invested in me, I work in sales as well so appreciate a decent sales person when I see one. But if I took the emotion out of it, why would I pay £41 extra every month for the next 4 years, that would nag me for a long time, that’s a weeks worth of fuel!( in Eco Pro mode )

Before I knew it order placed with DTD – I knew in my heart of hearts I made some mistakes with the spec, I could of configured it better, I tink, but I was keen to stick to a budget –
BMW 330d
Msport
EBII + black interior
19” rims
HK upgrade – and nothing else
Service pack at £450
Got it at 4.9% APR
Paid 30,497.10 with 3k deposit and £376.59 p/m over 47 months
Order placed expected early July, as quoted by DTD
All i was told was this would be from a dealer in the SE

Later that afternoon, Berry Heathrow BMW call up – I dont mind saying this now because there are no deals on BMW at present, so I’m not robbing Berry of DTD commission, I’m empowering the punter
They advise car will be with me on 30/6, send over paperwork, I sell my Jeep privately, get a hire car for 48 days and wait patiently, reading the forum every day, looking at youtube, living the dream through everyone else on this site. Going to bed dreaming about the car, waking up thinking about it, driving this hired Renault imagining where I’d stick it in Sport mode, how would it feel driving the F30 on this stretch....

So I take my boy to Disneyland mid May, come back to a voicemail left on 31/5 that the car has arrived early, after some calls and pleas, they agree to have the car ready for pickup on 7th June.
Handover was great – dealth with Mo, their “Product Genius” who was excellent, could recommend him highly enough – made sure I wrote to the DP to let her know – another brief but less than pleasurable experience with one of their their Business Manager’s tried to flog me over inflated tyre and gap insurance then reduce the price when I said no thanks – no flowers or anything for the Mrs. , no bubbly on handover, no problem, the way I look at it, I got too good a deal! And it was a transactional deal, didn’t stop mo from providing an amazing handover experience. Half expected them to say, “Internet Order? Here’s the keys, car’s parked out front, it’s the blue one”

The mistakes I think I made, I didn’t order the Msport+ pack, regret not having Xenons’ but it was blowing the budget, i mean where do you draw the line, didn’t spec heated seats, screw it, that warm feeling in my pants makes me feel like I pee’d myself anyway, its not a great feeling! No folding mirrors –but hey i bought it for the power and the emotion which comes with that.

I have the car now, 2 coming on 10 days, feels awesome, had places where I tested it out in Sport, love it – getting it detailed this weekend with paint protection GuardX.

I hope someone benefits from my experience, I love openness and transparency! And thank you all for sharing your thoughts and questions, this is great resource for owners and potential owners alike.

Glad I got that out my system...

I haven’t read this back, its too bloody long so apologies for any typo’s ect.
I dunno, just because..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
Op wants new car
Ok thanks for that.
He must have started writing this thread on Monday - and finished it today

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Holy cow! And the winner for longest forum post ever goes too.....

Sorry i don't have time (before i die) to read all that! But congrats and welcome to the forum anyway!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Holy cow! And the winner for longest forum post ever goes too.....

Sorry i don't have time (before i die) to read all that! But congrats and welcome to the forum anyway!
Rumour has it, he also bought a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
I dunno, just because..
I was gonna do that...
      06-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
nas80
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 335d / e21 2.8 24v

I read everything you said. We are much alike this is also my first new car after owning a long like of 5k or less cars. I went through drive the deal too. I go collect my Bmw from the the same dealers in a month or so time.

Congratulations mate. You deserve this.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Welcome....wall of text!
      06-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
Wow ! that must have taken some time to compose. Congratulations are due for making the right choice and a plus mark for good punctuation and spelling, for the bits I read anyway.
      06-19-2014, 02:06 AM   #18
Soon2Be
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketretro View Post
Wow ! that must have taken some time to compose. Congratulations are due for making the right choice and a plus mark for good punctuation and spelling, for the bits I read anyway.
cheers fella, and to think english is not even my first language

I knew I'd get some abuse for this post, and I accept its a bit OTT

its not aimed at those seasoned F30/F31 owners (from whom I've gleaned so much info. in my lurking days) I aimed it at those about to press the button on an order or still deciding or those waiting for delivery.

can I help them save a few bob or get a better deal.

thanks for the comments all and thanks for the welcome .....

look my posts are getting shorter
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:58 AM   #19
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

its not aimed at those seasoned F30/F31 owners (from whom I've gleaned so much info. in my lurking days) I aimed it at those about to press the button on an order or still deciding or those waiting for delivery.

A bit? Lol

Anyhow, it shows some of the main points to getting a good deal, Timing and Perseverance.

One of things to point out when going over the deal with a local dealer is that they will also be getting the maintenace 'contract' as well as the sale and if they can't do the sale point out they also loose the maintenance / servicing side of things as well.

As well as playing dealers of against each other, you can also play salesman off against each other.

Above all, if you don't ask you don't get and you can always walk away
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #20
dubdemand
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Individual

How about rewarding the persevering reader with a picture or two
      06-19-2014, 05:02 AM   #21
Soon2Be
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdemand View Post
How about rewarding the persevering reader with a picture or two
You chaps must be sick of seeing EBII f30 330d Msport's with Black Leather by now

anyway I'm embarrassed about my standard non-xenons head lights...

I'm having my car detailed this weekend and will post a few ipone snaps soon after, I've seen a few people get slated for quality of picture so I want to set the expectations now! thank you for asking to see it though, I shall oblige.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:10 AM   #22
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Quote:

I can't do other than praise Soontobe for his treatise . After all a few weeks ago I rather criticised someone for being as glib as "I want a car what should I get?".

It's important that we know the approach to motoring of anyone who asks for advice or posts so this is a tour de force by anyone's standard.

Also Well written with lots of feeling. I also Know some Geordies who also write well even though English is not their first language. Oops sorry to the Toon Army.

PS Best of luck tonight to the Boys in Brazil!
Appreciate 0