F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > NAV and collision warning?
GetBMWParts

06-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

NAV and collision warning?

So in my E90, when I would enter a destination, it would tell me if traffic was on my route or not. Also, when I got closer to the traffic jams, it would ask to detour -

I now have a 2013 F30 (328i) with Premium Nav and all the bells and whistles and the damn thing leads me into traffic jams... has anybody found the coding for this thing to announce traffic?

Second - so I have the collision warning in my car -the little icon of a red car pops up on the HUD when I get REALLY close. I told the software that I wanted early warning- I figured early warning would be BEFORE I said "OH SHIT" and slammed on the brakes. Also, it doesn't beep? Speed warning beeps, parking distance beeps, but I can't get a beep to tell me to look out... (I don't drive bad, I just like my car to give me a heads up when I am not watching because not everything is in the HUD).

Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
So in my E90, when I would enter a destination, it would tell me if traffic was on my route or not. Also, when I got closer to the traffic jams, it would ask to detour -

I now have a 2013 F30 (328i) with Premium Nav and all the bells and whistles and the damn thing leads me into traffic jams... has anybody found the coding for this thing to announce traffic?

Second - so I have the collision warning in my car -the little icon of a red car pops up on the HUD when I get REALLY close. I told the software that I wanted early warning- I figured early warning would be BEFORE I said "OH SHIT" and slammed on the brakes. Also, it doesn't beep? Speed warning beeps, parking distance beeps, but I can't get a beep to tell me to look out... (I don't drive bad, I just like my car to give me a heads up when I am not watching because not everything is in the HUD).

Thanks in advance...
Well for the first issue, you would want to go into 'Navigation' select 'Route Preferences' and Enable 'Dynamic Guidance'. This allows the system to adapt to the Real Time Traffic Information and change your route based on current traffic conditions. Also, make sure your traffic info is enabled by going to 'Navigation', hitting the 'Option' button, and checking off the Traffic Info checkbox.

For the second thing, it does beep. But you must have not gotten close enough to crashing for it to happen. There are two stages. The first is when it turns on the red car light indication in the instrument cluster and HUD to warn you are getting quite close to the other vehicle. The second stage will flash the car and beep three times to warn you that you are about to hit a car. It will also pretension your vehicle's brakes to prepare for hard braking.

I wouldn't suggest trying it out at high speeds or on the streets. If you really must try it out to see for yourself, go take a car, park it, and approach it directly in front of you at like 30 mph. Then you can at least swerve to avoid the crash. Good luck and be careful!
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
If you really must try it out to see for yourself, go take a car, park it, and approach it directly in front of you at like 30 mph. Then you can at least swerve to avoid the crash. Good luck and be careful!
I would suggest using a large empty cardboard box instead of a car for your target.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
I would suggest using a large empty cardboard box instead of a car for your target.
I don't think that works, the system only recognizes other vehicles in front of you or a pedestrian in front of you. And I would be shocked if you found a friend to act as a test dummy. Or unless you find a mannequin.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I don't thing it only works for cars. The manual says it stops for objects and that it uses the Active Cruise Control sensor, which can't tell what is being detected. Someone try to run down a box and let us know how it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
I don't thing it only works for cars. The manual says it stops for objects and that it uses the Active Cruise Control sensor, which can't tell what is being detected. Someone try to run down a box and let us know how it works.
Right, but that's only for vehicles equipped with Active Cruise Control. He's talking about the Active Driving Assistant (Forward Collision Warning) alone. You can have it detect vehicles and pedestrians without ACC. But it won't detect objects.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think that works, the system only recognizes other vehicles in front of you or a pedestrian in front of you. And I would be shocked if you found a friend to act as a test dummy. Or unless you find a mannequin.
only need to be going 6mph for it to notice pedestrians. That's outrunning speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
only need to be going 6mph for it to notice pedestrians. That's outrunning speed.
Oh, it's 6 mph to activate? Good to know, my dealer told me it was 19 mph, but they may be wrong, like usual.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Oh, it's 6 mph to activate? Good to know, my dealer told me it was 19 mph, but they may be wrong, like usual.
I sent an email to the GM of my BMW dealer and BMW Noam asking for an executive to come ride with me and test it out. I even called up to South Carolina and asked if we could test it on their track with an executive. So far my emails have been ignored :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Fenster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

On the frontal collision warning, it seems to me the warning lights and beeps are more related to closure rate than actual distance. On the highway I can be right on the bumper of a car that's pulling away and nothing will happen, but if I'm approaching a slow car at 80 mph the warning will go off at considerable distance.

I've noticed the car is overly sensitive to cars turning right in front of me (leaving the road I'm on). I'll see the car turning, take my foot off the gas, he's turning, still turning, I'm getting close but he's still turning, he'll be out of the way soon, no worries. Then the car shits it's pants, flashes the icon, beeps, even started applying the brakes once, even though the turning car was basically no threat at that point. This is easily repeatable and in fact a low risk way to do a real-life test of the collision warning system. Just take your foot off the gas and coast on up to a car turning right in front of you --- and be prepared to act if he changes his mind.
      06-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
On the frontal collision warning, it seems to me the warning lights and beeps are more related to closure rate than actual distance. On the highway I can be right on the bumper of a car that's pulling away and nothing will happen, but if I'm approaching a slow car at 80 mph the warning will go off at considerable distance.

I've noticed the car is overly sensitive to cars turning right in front of me (leaving the road I'm on). I'll see the car turning, take my foot off the gas, he's turning, still turning, I'm getting close but he's still turning, he'll be out of the way soon, no worries. Then the car shits it's pants, flashes the icon, beeps, even started applying the brakes once, even though the turning car was basically no threat at that point. This is easily repeatable and in fact a low risk way to do a real-life test of the collision warning system. Just take your foot off the gas and coast on up to a car turning right in front of you --- and be prepared to act if he changes his mind.
It takes the speed you are going at versus the rate you are approaching the other vehicle. The Active Cruise Control, which I lack, knows the distance between you and the car. If it's giving you trouble, try making your warning distance set to medium or late in your settings. If it's set to early, you could be sitting behind a vehicle on the freeway, going the same speed, but it will freak out if you are too close. (At least in my case without ACC)
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
Fenster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
It takes the speed you are going at versus the rate you are approaching the other vehicle. The Active Cruise Control, which I lack, knows the distance between you and the car. If it's giving you trouble, try making your warning distance set to medium or late in your settings. If it's set to early, you could be sitting behind a vehicle on the freeway, going the same speed, but it will freak out if you are too close. (At least in my case without ACC)
Thanks Halsifer. I wouldn't say it's "giving me trouble" but I can see how you would read it that way. I was just sharing my observations of how it seems to behave for me. I've considered going to medium warning, and still may experiment with it, but I'm willing to put up with some false alarms for greater safety.

BTW, I have ACC and when it is on in the the situation above (car turning right in front of me) the car will almost come to a dead stop until the turning car is well clear. A little touch on the accelerator or an exaggerated swing to the left and all is fine.

I don't perceive these as problems but as personality. Sometimes I turn all this stuff off and just have fun, but for normal driving the safety benefits are valuable, and I find myself not so much driving the car but instead monitoring what the car is doing and predicting what it's going to do, especially with ACC.
      06-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
Thanks Halsifer. I wouldn't say it's "giving me trouble" but I can see how you would read it that way. I was just sharing my observations of how it seems to behave for me. I've considered going to medium warning, and still may experiment with it, but I'm willing to put up with some false alarms for greater safety.

BTW, I have ACC and when it is on in the the situation above (car turning right in front of me) the car will almost come to a dead stop until the turning car is well clear. A little touch on the accelerator or an exaggerated swing to the left and all is fine.

I don't perceive these as problems but as personality. Sometimes I turn all this stuff off and just have fun, but for normal driving the safety benefits are valuable, and I find myself not so much driving the car but instead monitoring what the car is doing and predicting what it's going to do, especially with ACC.
Very interesting... This is one of the features I actually wish I had opted for. I'm extremely bummed out by not having it because I did want the braking ability for safety reasons and I also think ACC would be extremely convenient and interesting to observe, especially my trips back and forth between college and my hometown.

I would keep it on early myself, just for the better safe than sorry factor. But interesting observations on how your car reacts, it gives me a better idea of it.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0