E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Mtec Hid Fog Problem! Please Help! Thanks

12-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
doraben
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Mtec Hid Fog Problem! Please Help! Thanks

hey guys,
i am new to the forum

but i just got the mtec hid fog kit on ebay from this seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...190073664&rd=1

i am pretty sure its an authentic mtec hid kit

but i went to install today

when the car isn't turn on fully, just turning on the lights, the hid works perfectly with no error messages

but once the car is fully turned on with the engine
the hid fogs will turn off in less than a min and the error messages will pop out as a malfunction

i really want to solve this problem
can anyone please help me

the kid included everything and i am pretty sure the technican installed them correctly

thanks everyone for answer this problem for me

ben
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
Dr.phuOnger?
*BluRp*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blurple

i'm pretty sure you need some kind of load resistors or something..

there's another member on here somewhere who is having the same problems. they only work for a minute then they turn off. I remember the vendor that sold him the set sent him some resistors or soemthing but that didnt work as well.

so far as i know, theres no solution yet
      12-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Dr.phuOnger?
*BluRp*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blurple

Refer to this - maybe this will work for you

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...31&postcount=1
      12-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
guycollege
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i AT Electric Red

Yo I use mtec 6000k hid kit too. If you installed it properly there should be NO ERROR messages.

When you turn on your engine you will get an error for 6 seconds, it will disapper as the bulbs heat up and draw the correct current. ( I am using Mtec for my low beams, i don't know for fogs, but i am sure it should behave similarly).

Read my post here:

6000k MTec HID Bulbs Hallo Swap...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99700

My mtec bulb died after 1 year's use...so think twice before you install.

By the way ( i installed mine 1 year ago, do you remember if the bulbs are connected together as 1 unit or is the bulb detachable ( meaning if it burns out can you simply buy a replacement bulb, or do you have to cut the wire and do it manually)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
my mtec died after 1 year also.... sent it back to the manufacturer
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
guycollege
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i AT Electric Red

You can send it back? Did you get a refund? I paid 225 for my Mtec h7 6000k kit...

Usually HID lights are meant to last 5 years plus...since it does not have a filament.

What kinda lighting solution are you using now? PIAA? Mtec?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Malcolm745
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d

Garage List
2006 E91 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doraben View Post
hey guys,

when the car isn't turn on fully, just turning on the lights, the hid works perfectly with no error messages

the hid fogs will turn off in less than a min and the error messages will pop out as a malfunction

ben
Hey guys,

So has anybody solved this problem yet ? I had the exact same issue just bought a new set of hid's installed them in my fogs and after the engine is on they went off in like a min. or so. The error only pops up when i turn on the fogs until then everythings cool. So I bought this canbus warning canceller thinking that no error = no turning off. Maybe there's some sort of thing that shuts them off after the error pops out. The kit is installed in a 2006 BMW E91 320d Euro.

Will gladly appreciate any help and sorry for any mistakes, my english isn't perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
i have the apexcone/ddm tuning hid fogs with the warning eliminator and they work fine. i believe your fogs are shutting off b/c the lack of a warning eliminator. i tried installing my fogs without them just to see how it would work and it did the same thing as you described.
      11-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
Malcolm745
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 320d  [0.00]
Well installed today the warning canceller but.....no luck. Well either the warning canceller is trash or it's something else. Im pretty sure i connected it the right way cause otherwise the bulbs wouldn't light up in the first place. One thing that changed is that they turn off faster....
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
Malcolm745
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 320d  [0.00]
Well I got this idea that maybe someone can disable the foglight check and the power shutdown for them by connecting the car to a diagnostic station capable of running can-bus. What do you guys think about it ? Could it work and how much would that cost more or less?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
openfilm
Rep
Drives: 08 White 328i

i have this same problem now in the low beans and the fogs. When i connect it directly to the battery, they stay on perfectly, so My best guess is that something needs to be modified in the car itself as far as voltage that is concerned. I have same kit that i bought for this bmw, on my fx35 fogs and it works perfect. I took the same kit off the infiniti and connect it to bmw and back to same problem. So i am in good position to say that its not the kit that is causing this.

can someone plug a voltage meeter to the bulb harness and see if it changes from standing still to when you drive. Cause like i said in my other post, light work fine if I start them when i am driving and don't slow the engine down to idle. So voltage at idle is not enough to keep them going.

someone help please ...
      12-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
digivue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfilm View Post
i have this same problem now in the low beans and the fogs. When i connect it directly to the battery, they stay on perfectly, so My best guess is that something needs to be modified in the car itself as far as voltage that is concerned. I have same kit that i bought for this bmw, on my fx35 fogs and it works perfect. I took the same kit off the infiniti and connect it to bmw and back to same problem. So i am in good position to say that its not the kit that is causing this.

can someone plug a voltage meeter to the bulb harness and see if it changes from standing still to when you drive. Cause like i said in my other post, light work fine if I start them when i am driving and don't slow the engine down to idle. So voltage at idle is not enough to keep them going.

someone help please ...
I think in this case it should be fixed with relay harness, which hooks up directly to the battery. The headlight power just signals ON/OFF.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
digivue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by doraben View Post
hey guys,
i am new to the forum

but i just got the mtec hid fog kit on ebay from this seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...190073664&rd=1

i am pretty sure its an authentic mtec hid kit

but i went to install today

i really want to solve this problem
can anyone please help me

the kid included everything and i am pretty sure the technican installed them correctly

thanks everyone for answer this problem for me

ben
MTEC kit can be installed with or w/o relay harness, so make sure it's installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #14
Malcolm745
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 320d  [0.00]
FINALLY GOT IT WORKING .

Well it's not the most subtle way but the point is it works and without error codes. So after I lost some weight due to tearing my hair out I took the car for maintance (nothing special) and told them to check those hid's if they could do something about them...and they did. First thing was that the hid was drawing to much power that was the main reason they shutted down after they heated up (don't rly know how they fixed that sry) as for the error code they installed a dummy bulb on the line to fool the computer to think there's a 55w bulb installed instead of the 35w hid kit. The bulb barely ignites so you really can't see it. It has been well sealed so that water doesn't interfere. As I said it may not be the best way but it works.

Here is a picture with the 6000k hid fogs on...

They're very nice along with the 6000k low beams although when turned on both you feel as if they were drilling through Your brain when looking at them .
Waiting for my rdash angels so pls don't flame me about those yellow rings

Last edited by Malcolm745; 12-22-2008 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
waski
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335i

i have the same problem ,somebody have solution ?
Appreciate 0