E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Moving to Houston, need some quick advice

12-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i and 2007 e92 335i

Moving to Houston, need some quick advice

Hi,

I am moving from Canada to Houston for about a year for some advanced medical training. I am sorry I did not use the "big Texas" thread. I did ...

I had simple questions:
- I am taking my Canadian 335i (yes I know, American BMWs are way cheaper but I am stuck with this beatiful beast now) with me. Do I need winter tires? I assume not!
- Does anyone know any good reliable companies to ship a car from Seattle to Houston?
- Is Midtown a decent place to live (I am into bars, hot but kind of sketchy women, cars, working out, classic action figures and hot but kind of sketchy ladies)?
- Is Midtown dangerous?
- Are people in Houston mean? (Texas is a lot different than Canada eh)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
orangepeelforest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i F30

Garage List
2016 340i  [0.00]
humm well i cant help you with shiping but your going to laugh at winter here. you will not need winter tires. today it was 70 degrees (F). it gets cold here at night but you should be ok. i know nothing about houston. sorry. good luck with the move.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
Mikey335i
Accountant with 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver Metallic 07 335i 6sp

houston people arent mean... i use to live there a couple of years ago

midtown is a good place...trust me (kind of nexxt to campus//younger crowd)
good job of moving to midtown because that is where the least amount of traffic /good area to live in

you may see the gay side of men a little in midtown but that is normal where the trendy part of town is
      12-05-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Look up DTMhunter. He's from Houston.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey335i View Post

good job of moving to midtown because that is where the least amount of traffic /good area to live in

you may see the gay side of men a little in midtown but that is normal where the trendy part of town is
+1

Midtown is nice area. You could also look in the Galleria area. How much are you looking to spend? Have you already picked out an apartment? Since I live down the street(not really, only 5-7 minutes away) I could go take some pics for you if you'd like of the street/area you'd be living near.

Since there is no zoning, you will probably notice some "shady" looking areas with really nice homes/apartment/townhomes. Don't let that worry you though.

What medical facility will you be working in? I'm assuming the big Medicial Center in downtown? There's a townhome for rent in my complex, not sure what they're asking though.

Let me know some of the info I've asked I can hopefully help you out in some way.

And no, no snow, just rain and humidity. Although it's usually pretty nice this time of year.

PM Me with any other questions or any info you'd rather not display publicly so I can help your transfer as easy as possible.

Not sure about a transport company, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Here are a ton of transport companies I found on FerrariChat.

www.intercitylines.com
http://bluehighways.net/
www.horselesscarriage.com
http://passport.fedex.com/
Quote from someone on using FedEx though:
Quote:
Please note that FedEx has a draconian release form that they attempt to get you to sign when you place your car with them. You waive most of your rights against them if you sign it. If they damage your car, they aren't liable for much, include reduction in value, loss of use, and (I say this from litigation that I'm handling) will try to nickle and dime you to death on the repairs. My opinion of them is that you'd be better served with someone else.

Art
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
C-Dub7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

You sure don't need winter tires...but you need to bring portable a/c unit....extremely hot in the summer...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Winter tires....what the hell is that?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Here are a ton of transport companies I found on FerrariChat.

www.intercitylines.com
http://bluehighways.net/
www.horselesscarriage.com
http://passport.fedex.com/
Quote from someone on using FedEx though:
Awesome, simply awesome

Seems like people in Houston are pretty nice after all. I will look into these ASAP. I think I have a line on an apartment already (Post midtown square). I have a friend who is a Canadian living down there. I will be working at MD Anderson and I am pretty excited.

Thanks a lot, Couch, I will pm you when I need some more advice.

I very much appreciate everyone's help. Help alleviate my anxiety
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey335i View Post

Ha, that kills me - the gay side of men
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep

Just one last question?

Does it seem like a lunatic maneuvre to try to drive my BMW across America at this time of year from Vancouver to Texas?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #12
TheCyrax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Acura MDX

Not really.
I'd probably do it.
You'll love Houston!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
orangepeelforest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i F30

Garage List
2016 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IboughtafreakingBMW! View Post
Just one last question?

Does it seem like a lunatic maneuvre to try to drive my BMW across America at this time of year from Vancouver to Texas?
not at all. there will definatly be some snow in the northern states but you should be ok. it sounds like fun. i drove my car from vermont to texas in august. it was a blast.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #14
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome, simply awesome

Seems like people in Houston are pretty nice after all. I will look into these ASAP. I think I have a line on an apartment already (Post midtown square). I have a friend who is a Canadian living down there. I will be working at MD Anderson and I am pretty excited.

Thanks a lot, Couch, I will pm you when I need some more advice.

I very much appreciate everyone's help. Help alleviate my anxiety
Not a problem at all man. Houstonians are very friendly in general.

PM me anytime with any questions. I'll do my best to make your transition here as easy as possible. I'm happy to help anyway I can. Good to hear you already know one person here, especially from your home country. He'll be able to show you the ropes.
Quote:
Just one last question?

Not really, although the major storms hitting the midwest could make it a little less pleasant of a drive.

One tip on driving here. Always driving defensively, and be prepared for jerks on the road. I've only dealt with one recently, but a fairly funny story now.

We're gonna have to roll out the red carpet and have a Houston meet finally. Go and grab a beer (if not old enough, well have to grab some coffee, ha!)

Have a good one.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #15
livnlegacy
Original Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine E36 M3, 02 325iT

Garage List
o7 E90 335i  [0.00]
If you have the ability to drive the car to Houston, do that. I've worked in auto body repair for many years and have seen many struggles with transpo companies to have (proper) repairs paid for. I'd really be interested to see the ratio of damaged cars to damage-free cars that are shipped. I think it's a fairly large percentage of cars shipped that get damaged.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Hey, I am a Canadian living in Houston too! I have been here about 2 years. I am from Ontario, and I drove down. It was no problem at all. Long drive, but no big deal.

My family and I really like Houston.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:13 AM   #17
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnlegacy View Post
If you have the ability to drive the car to Houston, do that. I've worked in auto body repair for many years and have seen many struggles with transpo companies to have (proper) repairs paid for. I'd really be interested to see the ratio of damaged cars to damage-free cars that are shipped. I think it's a fairly large percentage of cars shipped that get damaged.
Yeah, I am starting to get that impression
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #18
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: aw 330i

wow...i never knew a houston thread could ever get this long..lmao.

g/l to the op with the move...driving across the nation could be fun...just careful with the wreckless drivers and ridiculous cops in houston/texas..

and like others have mentioned, weather is not a big concern...only thing to worry about is just rain and having a/c during the summer.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #19
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

You will really like Houston

PM me with any questions you might come across!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #20
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I am starting to get that impression
I wouldn't worry about it that much. Most of the ones I've listed have a great reputation.

I can't remember which company, but a guy I know had his Gallardo shipped from Cali to Houston in 2 days. Made it in the exact time the guy said. No issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #21
IboughtafreakingBMW!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I wouldn't worry about it that much. Most of the ones I've listed have a great reputation.

I can't remember which company, but a guy I know had his Gallardo shipped from Cali to Houston in 2 days. Made it in the exact time the guy said. No issues.
Hi Couch,

Thanks for all the great advice. Is Midtown safe for your car? There seems to be a lot of Auto crime. I am considering places at Metro Midtown on Bagby street or Parklane Apartments on Hermann Street near the park. Both are kind of spendy but look nice. But my car is like my child
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #22
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Smile

Quote:
Hi Couch,

Thanks for all the great advice. Is Midtown safe for your car? There seems to be a lot of Auto crime. I am considering places at Metro Midtown on Bagby street or Parklane Apartments on Hermann Street near the park. Both are kind of spendy but look nice. But my car is like my child
Metro Midtown:
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...partments.html

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...?listingid=339

Aerial from Live.com:
http://maps.live.com/?q=2350%20Bagby...n-US&FORM=BYRE

Parklane Apt:
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...-Parklane.html

Aerial:
http://maps.live.com/?q=2350%20Bagby...Q5NDA2MDUzNA==

There's a little info that I could dig up. So many websites you have to sign up to view these days. So I can't find more details for you.

Out of those two it looks as though Parklane is the place to live, but you have to be pretty careful with online reviews. as I'm sure your fully aware. But neither place is bad. Parklane is actually no more than 2.5 miles from where I live. I saw a childhood friends parents this weekend and found out they live in Midtown off of Elgin (a few blocks away from Metro Midtown). They said they loved it and were very happy.

As far as your car, you should be fine. As long as you keep all valuables out of the car and/or out of sight inside the car; no issues. I had a Chevy fullsize truck with wheels and stereo for 7 years and never had an issue anywhere. And trucks are high on the theif rankings. And keep your trunk locked for added security if you keep anything in it.

I'm not sure if you'll be parking in the garage or not, but come summer it will certainly be worth the expense. As well as added security.

If I missed anything you asked, just repeat, I'm really tired today and completely out of it. So I appologize in advance if I missed something.
Appreciate 0