THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics No Tech Package iPhone 5S Integration - FINALLY!

06-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

No Tech Package iPhone 5S Integration - FINALLY!

After a LOT of trial and error with different cables, converters, etc. I finally found a setup that works reliably. The BMW cable won't work for me because I used a ProClip vent mount and routed the cable to the center armrest, which results in a male USB plug there. I could not find a female 30-pin to female USB converter, and the USB hub to USB / USB to Aux converter failed as well. I ended up with the ProClip Dock, a Belkin mini USB hub, and VicTsing bluetooth audio receiver (links below).

If you pair your phone with both the VicTsing and the car it all works perfectly. You can switch to Aux for your source, listen to Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, whatever, have your GPS turn by turn directions too. It's all controlled through your phone, which is my preference. When a call comes in or goes out the BMW bluetooth takes priority, finish your call it switches back to music or GPS seamlessly. When you are listening to satellite radio, CD or whatever the phone just charges normally.

Yes I realize a wired connection is better than bluetooth but we're talking about a car here, not my listening room at home. With ambient noise, streaming internet audio vs an actual disc, etc. etc. etc. it really makes no difference. I did also remove the Proclip logo, plasti dip it and replace it. There are screws under there that looked ugly.

Here's my shopping list, this includes literally everything you need to mirror my setup. You could have luck with different hub, bluetooth receiver, etc. but I cannot confirm. I just know it was a BITCH to get this far so I am going to tell you exactly what I used. BTW I use a Speck Candyshell case so I got the cradle that works with that.

You can follow the DIY for vent mount and routing cable to center armrest, then just plug hub into car, USB from phone into hub, bluetooth into hub then bluetooth into Aux. Pair the bluetooth and you are good to go.

Vent Mount: http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...721-19622.cmsv

Phone Cradle:
http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold...502-19369.cmsv

USB Extension Cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

USB Hub:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bluetooth Receiver:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Glad to see that you have finally found a reliable solution!

This certainly looks nicer than the wires under the leg method that I have been using.
      06-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Glad to see that you have finally found a reliable solution!

This certainly looks nicer than the wires under the leg method that I have been using.
Yep the only "mess" is in the armrest which I never open for anything anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

do you think we could use a bluetooth receiver to plug into the car's USB input? and get audio in that way? I'm assuming no since it doesn't work plugged into our phone. But perhaps its the lightning adapter (there are computer chips in there people) that doesn't talk with the cars' USB. Again probably won't work, but anyone try it?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G228msport View Post
do you think we could use a bluetooth receiver to plug into the car's USB input? and get audio in that way?
My best guess is no, although I haven't tried it. Not sure I've even seen one that's configured the way you are thinking, with the audio output via USB. If you don't care about charging the phone you could plug one I used into USB then hook up the Aux audio cable and be good to go.

From what I can tell the USB port in the armrest is purely power, unlike EVERY other car I have ever driven that works perfectly to charge, play music, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Or just use the BMW Snap-In Adapter. I have no issues with the adapter. Everything plays through my Apple device and all BMW Apps load. I use my Andriod for phone calls (not connected) via bluetooth and works just fine with the IPOD streaming.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Or just use the BMW Snap-In Adapter. I have no issues with the adapter. Everything plays through my Apple device and all BMW Apps load. I use my Andriod for phone calls (not connected) via bluetooth and works just fine with the IPOD streaming.
I didn't go that route because 1. I wanted my phone mounted on the dash and 2. unless I am mistaken you can't use a case. Yes that's a simpler solution, but I needed a Plan B to accomplish what I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
So without the tech package, if I install the snap-in adapter my phone will output any sound through the lightning connection? Not the 3.5mm audio jack right? I ask because I want the best audio quality possible.

I thought I read somewhere we need the tech package to use the snap in..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
schap12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
After a LOT of trial and error with different cables, converters, etc. I finally found a setup that works reliably. The BMW cable won't work for me because I used a ProClip vent mount and routed the cable to the center armrest, which results in a male USB plug there. I could not find a female 30-pin to female USB converter, and the USB hub to USB / USB to Aux converter failed as well. I ended up with the ProClip Dock, a Belkin mini USB hub, and VicTsing bluetooth audio receiver (links below).

If you pair your phone with both the VicTsing and the car it all works perfectly. You can switch to Aux for your source, listen to Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, whatever, have your GPS turn by turn directions too. It's all controlled through your phone, which is my preference. When a call comes in or goes out the BMW bluetooth takes priority, finish your call it switches back to music or GPS seamlessly. When you are listening to satellite radio, CD or whatever the phone just charges normally.

Yes I realize a wired connection is better than bluetooth but we're talking about a car here, not my listening room at home. With ambient noise, streaming internet audio vs an actual disc, etc. etc. etc. it really makes no difference. I did also remove the Proclip logo, plasti dip it and replace it. There are screws under there that looked ugly.

Here's my shopping list, this includes literally everything you need to mirror my setup. You could have luck with different hub, bluetooth receiver, etc. but I cannot confirm. I just know it was a BITCH to get this far so I am going to tell you exactly what I used. BTW I use a Speck Candyshell case so I got the cradle that works with that.

You can follow the DIY for vent mount and routing cable to center armrest, then just plug hub into car, USB from phone into hub, bluetooth into hub then bluetooth into Aux. Pair the bluetooth and you are good to go.

Vent Mount: http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...721-19622.cmsv

Phone Cradle:
http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold...502-19369.cmsv

USB Extension Cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

USB Hub:

Bluetooth Receiver:

I got coded and i have bluetooth audio without tech package....as long as you have a combox your all good
Attached Images

06-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

I hate to show my ignorance but what is the combox? Does it only come with certain packages?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Captain_Burgundy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Min Gray / Coral / 6MT

I got an original plug from BMW in the car for my 4S, though I will probably getting a new phone soon. This does not work properly either. The audio only comes out the left side and the volume capabilities are horrible. The stock system is just awful, I had a stock system in my last e92 and it was a very solid car system, you are not going to get hi fi stereo imaging in a car, but this setup is must be using $5 drivers made in china.

I have been in the high-end audio hobby for years and I own and Audio Note system. The HK system is a marketing ploy to me, you can do much better on after market or swapping drivers. I am going to do the Focal swap on my speakers as some others have done. Focal drivers are used in some very high end speakers priced in the thousands of dollars, probably a much better driver than the HK.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco4me View Post
I hate to show my ignorance but what is the combox? Does it only come with certain packages?
Send us an email with your VIN to info@bimmer-tech.net and we will check if enhanced Bluetooth/USB can be activated in your car and we will send you a quote.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I am considering this option due to my annoying Bluetooth issues. One question I have is, can you pair more than 1 device to the Bluetooth receiver? Just wondering how it would work if there were 2 iphones (mine and hers) and we want to switch between playing from 1 device to the other.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazee 1
I am considering this option due to my annoying Bluetooth issues. One question I have is, can you pair more than 1 device to the Bluetooth receiver? Just wondering how it would work if there were 2 iphones (mine and hers) and we want to switch between playing from 1 device to the other.
Will try it with the iPad tomorrow and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #15
cla_bos
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by schap12 View Post
I got coded and i have bluetooth audio without tech package....as long as you have a combox your all good
+1

did the same - works great!

C
2003 Space Gray E85 Z4 2.5 ZMT, ZSP 'GRAU'
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #16
cehlion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 323i, 02 325i, 15 M235i

5s connectivity for 2015

More than a bit confused here...

I heard that Bluetooth streaming is standard in the 2015 (at least its listed under standard features on BMWusa website)? I have a 2015 228i w/out tech or enchanced bluetooth, on order. I own a Iphone 5s. Will this be a non-issue for me or will I have to use the afrorementioned work around?

What is coding? how much does it cost, and what would i get?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0