THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Larger tires than stock with JB4?

06-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
adrianv
Rep
Drives: M235

Larger tires than stock with JB4?

So first gear on the 8AT on a 235 w/stage 2 JB4 is generally useless. Actually the 8AT's gearing is generally too closely spaced, IMO. I frequently find that I wish that I had a taller first gear and they were all spaced apart further.

Has anyone thought of running larger tires than stock? If you ran a 265/45 rear tire (which you CAN get away with on a 8.5 inch wheel), that increases your tire circumference by around 12%, and with all the space between the stock tire and the rear fender, you should have no rubbing issue at all.

That 12% increase would be like replacing the 3.08 final drive with a 2.70, and should go a long way to making first gear more useful. Has anyone tried something similar yet?
Appreciate 0