E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Got a tint ticket today... What are my options?

05-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
enigma99a
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3

Got a tint ticket today... What are my options?

After one year, I finally got a "fix-it" ticket from the CHP today for my 40% tint... VC 26708 (a) and the correctable box is checked.

Does anyone know what my options are? I would like to keep the tint, and I have heard that in some areas of California you can pay a higher fine for them not to inspect it. Is this allowed in Sacramento too? If so around how much can I expect?

Option 2, would be to try to cut a deal with my local tint shop and maybe he'll cut me a discount for re-tints.

Last edited by enigma99a; 05-27-2014 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:53 AM   #2
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

CHP stopped you for tints? the state is becoming very needy, damnnn..

I don't think you'd want to travel around "some areas of California" looking around and to just pay more than usual to keep your "old" tints... why pay almost the same amount to keep the year old tints when you can use that money towards the new tints that you'll maybe get through option two??
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
feenin4rich
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E92 335i

when you get the notice of your citation in the mail, it should have 2 options, the fix it option, and the fine option which would allow you to keep your tint without having to go through inspection. When this happened to me I believe that fine was $198, so I opted to remove and reinstall. good luck!
and yes CA state is very needy, in the last year, i was pulled over TWICE on the FREEWAY just for tint...so sad.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
revelocity_paulo
Revelocity Web Director
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M-Paket

You guys are scaring me. I have 35% on the front windows and I always keep my sunroof visor open to let light in a little bit. Hopefully I can get away with it... only time will tell. LOL

Alpine White E90 M Sport | M Performance Exhaust | ST Coilovers | CF Splitters & Lip | CF Spoiler | CF Diffuser | CF Side Mirrors | Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof | Orion V4 | Linea Corse LC818 | IG: @revelocity_paulo | Website: www.revelocityevents.com
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
enigma99a
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3

It was a pretty cool cop actually. It wasn't on the freeway and I nearly didn't stop at a stop sign until I saw him parked 100 yards away. LOL (which was half-way through the intersection at that time). It was an oh shit moment. But he put his lights on and caught up to me.

He was talking about a lot about cars, and how they are usually illegal in a few areas.. basically boiled down to the state needs $$ and he agreed the tint is useful for the temp and looks. So there you have it. The tint fix-it ticket is coming to a highway near you.

I'm probably going to go with option #2. I think to have it fixed, it will cost around $15 to have a cop inspect it, plus a $20 admin fee. Basically $35. So if I can get the re-tint less than $150, it's a better deal considering it will be brand new again.

Oh and I have 40% not 30. Pretty ticky tacky
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

If the fee of not fixing it exceeds the cost of re-tinting, I would suggest that when you re-tint, upgrade the tint film for the front windows. I just got my car tinted, and for the fronts they used a lighter ceramic film that was 50%, and blocked almost as much rays as the 20% on my rear windows and windshield. It was $30 more, so I said what the hell?

But my fronts are still questionable, and if a cop really wants to be an asshole, he can still pull me over. The only reason it's questionable is because I have black interior. If you have a lighter color interior, this may not work for you. I also don't have any mods on my car, so I give them few reasons to pick me out from the crowd. Bluewater Metallic tends to be invisible to cops.

I feel your pain. Central Valley sun is no joke in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #7
335robb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Conv

What did you end up by doing with your tint citation? If you still have not removed your tint or paid the citation send me a PM and I may have a solution so you don't have to go through all the hassles of the tint fix-it ticket..

R
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:27 AM   #8
Illoosive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DEEMED View Post
You guys are scaring me. I have 35% on the front windows and I always keep my sunroof visor open to let light in a little bit. Hopefully I can get away with it... only time will tell. LOL
Everyone's freaking me out too, only time will tell but I haven't been stopped for it yet. Anyone know if I can go around this also, my car originally came from Texas where I'm guessing their law is a little different.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #9
AgentAvalos
VIP
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DEEMED View Post
i used to have 15% all around lol
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #10
Illoosive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
After one year, I finally got a "fix-it" ticket from the CHP today for my 40% tint... VC 26708 (a) and the correctable box is checked.

Does anyone know what my options are? I would like to keep the tint, and I have heard that in some areas of California you can pay a higher fine for them not to inspect it. Is this allowed in Sacramento too? If so around how much can I expect?

Option 2, would be to try to cut a deal with my local tint shop and maybe he'll cut me a discount for re-tints.
Doctors note. Or just pay, how much is the ticket? It'd be a hassle to retint. I'm trying to figure it out because I bought my car with tints on the front passenger windows.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #11
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

that sucks, time to change the tint to your state law after all yes, we don't like cops but they do keep us safe and they do want to see what is going on in the car when they pull you over. I don't like them as well as any encounters are expensive but I do like to feel safe lol glad the allowed us to do any tinting, after all they could have reject that option from the time when tinting started. Hope you will not pay for the ticket and fix your windows
Appreciate 0