E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My car just got stuck!

12-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

My car just got stuck!

I went out for supper tonight, and as I was leaving my car (locking it from the outside) I saw a warning light: A steering wheel which a lock.

I told my girlfriend, oh oh we gonna have problems when we get back - and she proceeded to shit on me for 10 minutes about my car obsession. Needless to say - when we got back to the car, and I unlocked it..the warning light came back on.

I tried starting it - and the car wouldn't start!! I tried moving the wheel, putting the key in and out (to try and unlock the steering wheel lock). I eventually decided to call BMW On-Call (our version of assist) who got a technitian on the line...

As I was explaining the icon to him...i tried starting it once more - and sshhhhiiiipppppppppp the steering wheel lock disengaged and the car started.

I wonder why my steering wheel lock got stuck. I hope it doesn't happen often!

Lucky it started....otherwise the car would have to have been towed :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Sounds like the ECU coughed for a moment!! I hope it doesn't happen again!!

BTW, I hear the same thing from my wife!!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

You mentioned in another post you have had something like this before

Maybe you need to have it looked at next time you have time, maybe its a bad connector or motor or maybe a cover that gets in the way sometimes

Could it be it happens at certain steering wheel angles ( not centering the wheel before stopping the car ???
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

never had this happened to me at all. So I would get the dealer to investigate the cause.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
You mentioned in another post you have had something like this before

Maybe you need to have it looked at next time you have time, maybe its a bad connector or motor or maybe a cover that gets in the way sometimes

Could it be it happens at certain steering wheel angles ( not centering the wheel before stopping the car ???
It happened once when the car was very new, that the light came on when i tried to start it- and then a wiggle of the wheel let it release. I figured at the time, it was like the olden day steering wheel locks - that needed a bit of jiggle to unlock when turning the key.

This time, the light came on for the first time when I stopped the car and tried to lock it. I'll monitor it - I don't feel like taking it in - the poeple at JSN now know me...and I had a forman drive my car the other day because my clutch shudder returned. Obviously when he drove it, there was nothing wrong...and there has been nothing wrong since.

Maybe at the next service...I'll tell them to check it. Only 10 000km's to go :-)

If it happens again, I won't try a self remedy - I'll let BMW oncall come and have a look.

What fixed it tonight, was putting the key in and out a few times...which eventually let the lock engage and disengage.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
Broken1
Addict
Rep

I would also like to add to this thread...that my car on the whole has been virtually trouble free. I did have one problem, which was a known problem - related to the car being an early production version - before all the issues could be resolved.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

yes, my first thoughts were the angle of the steering wheel. could it have been forcing something to prevent a clean start?

obviously the car's computer warning system was active but if this has happened before and you do leave your steering wheel nicely centred, then maybe get it checked out by the good service guys where your other problem was fixed.

of course mr fleet is correct again.

hope you get it sorted.

sorry about our obsession with our bmws broken1's girlfriend. us guys are the same worldwide.
i'm sure broken1 makes it up to you in other ways.

all the Best.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Maybe you should change your on-line name to break the spell....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #9
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
sorry about our obsession with our bmws broken1's girlfriend. us guys are the same worldwide.
i'm sure broken1 makes it up to you in other ways.

all the Best.
It was quite funny actually. She though I was just over-reacting, and talking about my car - and then when it wouldn't start...I was like hah...told you something was wrong! She appologized for crapping on me!

Could the steering wheel lock have anything to do with the fact my car was parked on gravel? (I doubt it - just thought it might be worth mentioning)

Ps. I didn't drive on Gravel - The car park looked like the picture I've added below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 02:51 PM   #10
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
It happened once when the car was very new, that the light came on when i tried to start it- and then a wiggle of the wheel let it release. I figured at the time, it was like the olden day steering wheel locks - that needed a bit of jiggle to unlock when turning the key.

This time, the light came on for the first time when I stopped the car and tried to lock it. I'll monitor it - I don't feel like taking it in - the poeple at JSN now know me...and I had a forman drive my car the other day because my clutch shudder returned. Obviously when he drove it, there was nothing wrong...and there has been nothing wrong since.

Maybe at the next service...I'll tell them to check it. Only 10 000km's to go :-)

If it happens again, I won't try a self remedy - I'll let BMW oncall come and have a look.

What fixed it tonight, was putting the key in and out a few times...which eventually let the lock engage and disengage.
My observation is that this problem seems to affect cars with Comfort Access... I had the same problem a few months back, and I also solved it by putting the keyfob in... just like you.

Let us know what they say when you take your car in.

I did report mine when this problem happened a few months back, but they asked me to book the car in... they also told me that it's a known problem (the 7 series has it as well).... I told them that I will wait and report it when I bring the car in for its first service.

I'm just having so much fun driving it at the moment... taking it in is not a priority, since this problem only happened once, and I also know how to temporarily "fix" it.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #11
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Could the steering wheel lock have anything to do with the fact my car was parked on gravel? (I doubt it - just thought it might be worth mentioning)

Ps. I didn't drive on Gravel - The car park looked like the picture I've added below:
I don't think gravel had a hand at all..... when it happened to me, I was nowhere near gravel.... I had just switched off the engine to fill up petrol at a garage.... when I tried to start up.... nothing happened, except for the annoying steering wheel icon :mad: .
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30
I don't think gravel had a hand at all..... when it happened to me, I was nowhere near gravel.... I had just switched off the engine to fill up petrol at a garage.... when I tried to start up.... nothing happened, except for the annoying steering wheel icon :mad: .
Okay thanks! Good to know it wasn't just me. I don't think I'm going to take it in now...I'll see if it happens more - at least I got it going tonight!!

Like you, I'll mention it at the next service...and they can check it out (unless it happens again)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #13
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
Sounds like the ECU coughed for a moment!! I hope it doesn't happen again!!

BTW, I hear the same thing from my wife!!

Danny
mine to.
      12-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #14
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
It was quite funny actually. She though I was just over-reacting, and talking about my car - and then when it wouldn't start...I was like hah...told you something was wrong! She appologized for crapping on me!

Hey, isn't that were Kennedy was shot?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 08:45 PM   #15
Atty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 48i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
hahaha - I was actually thinking that parking by that Jeep might have been the culprit. just my 2 cents
      12-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #16
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
This situation is not a fault. It will happen to any cars with electric assist steering e.g. BMW, MB. May be I was not remembering this correctly, when it happended once to my E320, All I need to do is to set the gear to D or Neutral, turn the steering left and right and also step a bit on the brake lightly.....may be someone here can give a better procedure to sort this issue.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #17
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Broken1, you are the Stick Diagram master.

Quote:

Attached Images

12-28-2005, 09:43 PM   #18
lungdoctor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330xi

330xi igition Failure Steering Wheel Lock displayed

This also happened to my 330xi with the steering wheel lock displayed, it was towed to the dealer and had a bad igition relay switch replaced. The problem has not recurred.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 09:49 PM   #19
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
It is actually on the manual when u see the yellow steering wheel lock icon.

You just need to move the wheel left and right to "unjam" it. It is just some electronic hiccups.
      12-28-2005, 10:48 PM   #20
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Hey Broken 1,

I can see from your expicit diagram what the problem was. It's the dreaded trapezoidal or parallelogram effect. I read it in a bmw bulletin recently. The car goes out of square as you clearly drew and of course there are all sorts of stresses placed on various components. Happens to 320ds in South Africa when parked on gravel. Must be the altitude.

The "sshhhhiiiipppppppppp" sound you heard was the computers realigning the car for a quick exit. Lucky man, you.

I also noticed the poor quality Jeep build where the double red line is. Terrible, just terrible.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 10:49 PM   #21
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
In South Africa???
I thought it was in South America.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 10:51 PM   #22
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
That's a really nice drawing Broken1