M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

05-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

New Macan revealing at Porsche of Bucks County

So I spent some time today at the revealing of the new Macan. I know this is the wrong place to write about this, but since the M5 forum is my home I decided to post this here.

The Macan wow!!!
A very beautiful car... err SUV, not SAV ... right? Correct me if I am wrong. Going in on Saturday to test drive one and will write back on how it is.

Initial Impressions of the car
  • B-E-A-UTIFUL!
  • It is packed with technology I cant wait to explore more in depth.
  • It is rather small, more the size of a X3. I was told it was 75% the size of the Cayenne.
  • It has PDK.
  • The interior is just as beautiful as the exterior is.
  • Interestingly, when the hood is lifted, there is a cut out for where the headlights go.

On a completely separate note, I sat in the RS7 today, and I was really impressed.

Will take pictures of the Macan on Saturday.
2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)
2013 M5 Black Sapphire( Retired )
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Okay, so I'm browsing the variants of the Macan, and see that the diesel will have an estimated combined MPG of 44.8!? I haven't looked into SUVs in some time, and didn't realize the potential MPG was so high (even with a diesel). I have a lengthy commute, and drive an Audi TDI as a my beater DD because of the high MPG it offers. I'd really like to check this thing out in person.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
It will be interesting to see how many men buy this.

I always thought of it is a chick car. Although I think of all SUVs as chick cars since they are essentially minivans for the more affluent.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Well I drove one today at Park Place on Lemmon Ave.. I turned down the 911 test drive since I made it clear that I was tire kicking. The guy still insisted I drive the Macan so I drove the Turbo. The PDK isn't as fast as the M5 DCT, there is a definite lag in the shift using the paddles in manual mode. The 400hp Macan does have good pickup in sport plus but I don't think it is as fast as my 5.0 X5. It's a nice car though and I say car because it feels more like a car than SUV. It's nice and the interior is pretty good. Fully decked out it is still under 6 figures. I may get my wife a test drive and see what she thinks.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
It will be interesting to see how many men buy this.

I always thought of it is a chick car. Although I think of all SUVs as chick cars since they are essentially minivans for the more affluent.
Saw one at Porsche today. I agree, soccer mom p-car.
      05-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

I drove the Macan today. Well, definitely not what I expected.

The car drives well, but it is not what you are used to in an SUV.

It sits lower to the ground, but still has the SUV type of feeling in corners. The PDK is very good, and the car is just a pleasure to be in. Now what is interesting is how well the car is isolated. You think the M5 is isolated, take a drive in the Macan. Even though the motor is upfront, you can not hear anything unless you sit in the back closer to the exhausts.

I drove the Macan S, and personally I was not blown away by it's performance, but rather by the sweet noise it made even though I was told it is turbo charged. It is the same engine as from a base Panamera. The steering wheel completely killed me, as it was rather dead until you picked up some speed. Definitely was expecting more of a GTS type of steering feel to it, and it just was not there. I will cut the Macan some slack, because it is a new SUV just released, and I think that Porsche will get it right in the end. It's not a bad car for the price, just makes me wonder how different it is from the Audi Q5, being built on the same body. I will say, it is a very comfortable ride for those looking for a nice relaxing SUV, and while wrsbmw says the PDK is slow, I tend to disagree. I think the PDK is very fast, but more important, it knows what you want and happens to do all the right things you would do yourself with a proper manual. That being said, Macan personally is not the car for me, or anyone in my family, but it is a very well built chick car.
2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)
2013 M5 Black Sapphire( Retired )
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I ordered and bought one earlier this month. Today, I test drove it, both Macan S & Turbo on a 2 hr long test drive on local roads, highway and country roads with lots of twists & turns.

Overall, I am very pleased of the drive, like Alexey21 has pointed out, Porsche PDK is a bit more advance (in my own view) than the BMW M-DCT, the shift is totally seamless and lightning fast.

From the engine performance perspective, S is just as quick as the Turbo version and I cannot even tell one is slower than the other on a straight line acceleration. Obviously, power wise is still nowhere near the M5 figures.

From the suspension perspective, on the sport+ setting, it's not as stiff as the M5. I actually drove the vehicle in that setting for almost the entire test drive and it's very comfortable.

Now, the worst part of the Macan ... extremely quiet inside the cabin, no exhaust note that I can barely hear. I guess I would have to wait for Akra to come out with their sport exhaust system sometimes down the road.

Lastly, the Macan does not drive like a 911, no matter what others have said, it does drive like a car but still has the CUV/SUV DNA in it.

Last edited by bobblehead; 05-24-2014 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0