Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
npan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 (MW/SO)

Brake Bedding and Break In

Can anyone share recommended practices for bedding the brakes on this car? Users manual isn't very specific. I did not order CCBs
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Brake pad bedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by npan View Post
Can anyone share recommended practices for bedding the brakes on this car? Users manual isn't very specific. I did not order CCBs
Here you go: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-system-bed-in

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
npan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 (MW/SO)

Thanks Greg. Good article
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Factory Pads

After a lot of research and a few experiments of my own, I'd follow the factory recommendations on brake wear-in. Basically, the factory pads wear in, over time, after some general heating and use on the street. Bedding factory pads on cast iron rotors, following recommendations for aftermarket performance or race pads, will overheat and glaze the factory pads, in my experience.

On my E90, I currently run factory pads on the street and Pagid race pads on the track. I bed the Pagids just prior to each track day. Due to the size of the rotors and mass of the system, they need a fair amount of work/braking to get heat into the brakes (for bedding).

I bedded the factory pads and they glazed, even when I tried not to overheat them. The next set, I just wore-in w/normal driving. They have awesome bite and absolutely no issues.

Lesson-learned from my side. I am sure others have had similar or different experiences. My $.02 anyway.

-Brian

PS The cast iron/compound rotor brakes from the M4 will be similar to the E9X in this regard. However, we'll see how the fixed caliper and multiple pistons improve things. I'd imagine bedding won't be too much different.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
After a lot of research and a few experiments of my own, I'd follow the factory recommendations on brake wear-in. Basically, the factory pads wear in, over time, after some general heating and use on the street. Bedding factory pads on cast iron rotors, following recommendations for aftermarket performance or race pads, will overheat and glaze the factory pads, in my experience.

On my E90, I currently run factory pads on the street and Pagid race pads on the track. I bed the Pagids just prior to each track day. Due to the size of the rotors and mass of the system, they need a fair amount of work/braking to get heat into the brakes (for bedding).

I bedded the factory pads and they glazed, even when I tried not to overheat them. The next set, I just wore-in w/normal driving. They have awesome bite and absolutely no issues.

Lesson-learned from my side. I am sure others have had similar or different experiences. My $.02 anyway.

-Brian

PS The cast iron/compound rotor brakes from the M4 will be similar to the E9X in this regard. However, we'll see how the fixed caliper and multiple pistons improve things. I'd imagine bedding won't be too much different.
Yes i think you might be onto something the aggressive bedding in might only be good for race pads.
Appreciate 0