M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

05-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Porsche Turbo Review

As some of you know I lately purchased a 2011 Turbo PDK and traded for it my M5. I decided to provide everyone with a review and my impression of the Turbo. First of all, I did not go for the 991 Turbo because I wanted someone else to take the hit on the depreciation. For those who are interested, I picked up the turbo with only 5000 miles on the clock. So to me personally, that is a new car, as my M5 had more miles on it.

So the Turbo. What can be said about the turbo. First feature you learn to live with is the All Wheel Drive. I was never a believer in AWD and always thought a sports car must have rear wheel drive for it to not be boring. Spending the last couple days with the turbo, I realized that AWD is a must for cars with turbos. Putting down the power from a stop is no problem at all, not to mention the stability you get in corners from AWD is just unreal. You feel your skin pulled to the side before the car losses grip. This car is point and go and I have not had the car struggle for grip during a fast corner.

The steering wheel is heavy and very responsive. Something I had to get used to, was how direct the steering was. Coming from the 996 and the M5, I thought there would be a bit of dead zone when turning the wheel, but apparently it just communicates so well and so fast. Also, there is road feel with this steering wheel. You can always pick up the sensation of what your wheels are doing, and if there is a little rock you just went over you know it was there.

Now, many people argue that the 911 has no room for storing items or people. Yes, this is a 2 person car, even though you can theoretically place a 3rd occupant in the back, it is very limited amount of space. From personal use though, I have no problem putting all my belongings into the 911. The "frunk" is big enough, and if I need any extra space, I through it in the back.

My Turbo came along with ruffled leather, and I actually like that option. It makes the leather not as tight on the seats, and makes it last longer, or at least in my opinion.

Brakes are amazing. I have steel rotors, and they are very responsive, break pedal feels perfect in my opinion and they stop the car very fast.

Now the part everyone is waiting for. The engine and PDK. The 997.2 Turbo is just an insane car! I can not imagine how much quicker the 991 can be, as the 997 was reviewed with a 0-60 time anywhere between 2.9-3.1 seconds. Is there any turbo lag in this car? Well, Yes and no. What I noticed is that while driving regularly, the computer reads 0psi on the turbos. When the RPM gets to around 2.5k and more, you can hear them spool up slowly or fast, depending on the throttle. So before the 2.5k RPM, yes there is some just engine acceleration, but don't be fooled. Once you get that boost, you better hold on! The engine noise is actually pretty dam impressive. You get this low rumble, followed by turbo whoosh, followed by the sound of a blow off valve when you lift of the throttle. ( Im not sure it is that exactly, but it is a high pitch whoosh of sound like on old school turbo cars). It is not loud and does not sound like a turbo Civic, it is very quiet and only noticed if you really pay attention. Even if you encounter a bit of turbo lag, trust me, once you get the boost, you wont care because at that moment it feels like a fat grandmother sat on you and wont get up. Mind you, there is also sport mode and sport plus, which I think is completely mental. Unlike the M5, where you get to set sport steering wheel, comfort suspension, and sport plus throttle, here it is very simple. No sport mode, Sport mode, or Sport plus mode (Turns on Sport mode suspension). Sport mode makes throttle response a bit more early, and the PDK drops a gear or two when it senses you need to accelerate. In sports plus, the PDK is an absolute BEAST! The WOT in sports plus, followed by a manual shift from 1st to 2nd is extremely violent, and if going in a straight line, it gives your passengers whip lash of their life. The shifts are extremely fast, and the PDK really shines. What I really enjoy about the PDK is how it seems to always know what you want. In the M5, sport or sport plus mode, just held the gears longer. In the regular non sport mode in the Turbo, it senses I am about to go around a corner fast and as I break it automatically downshifts to the proper gear to build boost and lets me take off. Now if you are in sports plus, and you are mid corner and upshift, the PDK wont jerk your car because a G meter on the PDK understands it would upset the car and maybe make it lose control.

So covered sound, covered engine, PDK, control, AWD. I guess there is nothing else.

The ride is noticably stiffer but hey, its manageable with PASM in Normal mode, and you would expect that. Interior quality, wow very high!!! Love the Sports Chrono timer.

What do I miss the most from the M5?
Some comfort options such as auto headlights, soft closing doors.

Do I regret trading the M5 while I could get something out of it for the turbo? NOT AT ALL!!!!

Here are some pictures. Did I mention... That ass is amazing to look at!
Attached Images

2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)
2013 M5 Black Sapphire( Retired )

Last edited by alexey21; 05-20-2014 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Beautiful car and nice review
Thanks
2 kids + Wife - + Me wanting all happy = M5 - Till kids go to college then 999 to by then -
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
TC M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTS,458italia, '14RR Ghost

Congrats !! Welcome to the 911 Turbo family hehe ! Great review
      05-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Well said, your review pretty much sums up my past experience with the 997.2 PDK TT--- and I applaud you for noticing how well the ECU/TCU is mated up with the PDK. It really is a smarter system. The ECU/TCU is programmed near perfection and in the 991 its no different.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Well said, your review pretty much sums up my past experience with the 997.2 PDK TT--- and I applaud you for noticing how well the ECU/TCU is mated up with the PDK. It really is a smarter system. The ECU/TCU is programmed near perfection and in the 991 its no different.
Vic, I know it is probably a different world when comparing a 997.2 to a 991 turbo S, but what do you like or dislike about your TTS? How does it compare to your previous TT PDK? I can not imagine how much better they could go with the new cars.
2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Congrats. Nice trade
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
JR429
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: W212, GTR, 997 TT; F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post

Now the part everyone is waiting for. The engine and PDK. The 997.2 Turbo is just an insane car! I can not imagine how much quicker the 991 can be, as the 997 was reviewed with a 0-60 time anywhere between 2.9-3.1 seconds.
I've walked both the new M5 and M6 in my 997.1 Turbo on the freeway, demolished them off the line and got my ASS HANDED to me by the 991 Turbo S (997.1 tt versus 991 tts). My GTR runs high 10's in race gas and it probably couldn't keep up... The 991 Turbo S is a MUCH faster car... That said the 997.2 is bad ass, so nimble at the track, congrats!
      05-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR429 View Post
I've walked both the new M5 and M6 in my 997.1 Turbo on the freeway, demolished them off the line and got my ASS HANDED to me by the 991 Turbo S (997.1 tt versus 991 tts). My GTR runs high 10's in race gas and it probably couldn't keep up... The 991 Turbo S is a MUCH faster car... That said the 997.2 is bad ass, so nimble at the track, congrats!
Was your 997.1TT stock? Manual or tip?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR429 View Post
Big difference between 997.1 and a 997.2 especially with pdk
2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)
Appreciate 0