E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > My first BMW, what to watch out for?

05-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
gkroegman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20011 BMW 328i

Post My first BMW, what to watch out for?

Greetings... about 2 weeks ago I purchased my first BMW, an 09 328i with 51k miles on it. Out of warranty, not CPO or extended.
On this particular model, is there anything I should watch for?
Does BMW only display an error/warning light if there's a major issue? I see several threads where owners have used the ODB2 readers and gotten codes when there was no check engine light on.

I've already noticed that the driver door lock actuator is failing and needs to be replaced. Knob will not retract when locked, but it will pop up when unlocked (if I press down manually). Door locks, so I'm not too worried about it right this second.
Drivers side rear seat, I just figured out today that work had to have been done on it. Somebody forgot to put a screw back in and the door panel has a gap between the covering and actual door, so if anyone has a DIY on how to SAFELY remove the door panel so I could re-attach that properly, I would appreciate it.
I don't want to go ripping in blind, since I know it's super easy to pull something the wrong way and end up with a broken piece.

Also looking for recommendations on what to instruct mechanic to do on my 60k mile check/tune up.
Would replacing the spark plugs and coils be wise at that 60k mark rather than waiting?

Any good "do this, don't do this, watch for this, listen for this, if you hear this you're screwed, otherwise have fun" information would really put my mind at ease. I love the car and want to keep it that way.

One thing I will mention is that the shift from first gear to second is SUPER noticeable. If I feather the gas before the tension point, shifting and letting off the gas then back on again is bumpy. As soon as it hits that second gear though, vrooooom. I will try the adaptive transmission reset today (key in, press start without putting my foot on the brake- putting the car into 'mode 2'. Hold accelerator down for 30 seconds, wait a minute and then start the car, drive until it adapts *RIGHT?*)

Thanks guys,
n00b.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Search for oil leaks at oil filter housing gasket.

Keep an eye out for leaks from valve cover gasket. If it starts leaking, replace it along with the ecc (eccentric cam sensor) while you're there

Plugs is ok to do. Coils can probobly go to 100 k

If manual, start thinking about trans fluid.

Also, rear diff fluid.

If your engine overheat light turns on, that's your water pump taking a dump. If it doesn't happen by 80k, replace both the wp and tstat proactively so you don't get stranded.

Did I mention oil leaks?
      05-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
gkroegman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20011 BMW 328i

Oh geez! I did a search on YouTube for how to replace the valve cover gasket (and the guy did the Electronic Shift Sensor in the same video) that seems like a lot.
Is there an easier way to check for oil leaks? Like without having to take everything apart?
I can rig an interior seven way to Sunday but as far as things under the hood I am a complete novice at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Just inspect with a flash light. It should look clean, no black grit or oily stuff on the engine. The only thing you need to remove is the plastic cover on the engine, it just pulls off (its hard to come, pull harder).

The door panel is easy to remove, there is a youtube video you should find with "e90 vapor barrier" as the search terms.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
94marcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i 6MT

haha just got a manual 09 328i about two weeks ago.. this is now my go to post
      06-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

At 51k miles your valve cover should still be g2g. If you want to check if you have a leak or not then look at your engine and look down at that metal strip that runs all the way around the engine. Clean the metal and the bolts really well and drive around for a few days. Then take a look and see if you have any oil built up on the metal and the bolts, if not then you're fine. When I had the N52 the valve cover gasket didn't go till about 84k miles.
At your mileage I would do the spark plugs and rear differential (front too if its a xi). At about 70k you should do your transmission fluid and filter(if its an auto). You also might as well get the power steering fluid done. Leave the gasket job alone till you actually have a leak.

One last thing, at around 80k+ miles your water pump will go, so be ready for that. I sold my 328 at 94k miles and it still have it's original water pump. Meanwhile I got 34k miles now on my 335xi and I had to replace the water pump at 30k miles, so go figure (thank God for warranty).
Appreciate 0