F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Detailing a company car?
GetBMWParts

05-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Beef48
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d m sport eb ordered

Detailing a company car?

I love all of the views of detailing that everyone has and admire the finish.

My question is;

What are the true benefits of doing this to a car that I have to hand back?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Pride. It's rewarding. Your car looks amazing. And, to some degree you reduce the possibility of incurring charges for wear & tear.

My car is a company car and I treat it like a member of my own family.

Gotta run, the car needs tucking in for bed
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
JoshB25
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 318d M-Sport

I don't know about anyone else but I find it like a bit of "me time" (Zen) and its visually rewarding when you stand back.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB25
I don't know about anyone else but I find it like a bit of "me time" (Zen) and its visually rewarding when you stand back.
+1 mines a company motor, but even if it wasn't most people keep a car for 3/4 years then trade it so what's the difference in handing back a company car or trading one for the next - just love it while you have it!
      05-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
Wo-Wo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquein View Post
+1 mines a company motor, but even if it wasn't most people keep a car for 3/4 years then trade it so what's the difference in handing back a company car or trading one for the next - just love it while you have it!
Totally agree here too, I have my cars through work for two years and treat it like its my own, we have monthly inspections on our cars so it saves any issues there too. Once you've done the hard work once it's only a matter of keeping on top if it in any case.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Condition of cars reflects their owner.

Gives you some 'you' time as you spend quality time with you and your car, washing and waxing, avoiding those trips to shops, in laws etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #7
JoshB25
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 318d M-Sport

Some people treat their company cars like crap. A guy my dad knows has an F31 330d M-Sport in black as his company car. From day one it has been driven flat out everywhere! And I mean flat out! Its never cleaned, wheels all kerbed, tyres need changing every 12-15k, drivers mirror broken as he hit something, he buckled both front wheels so we sourced a brand new set of 400m's off eBay, put them on and within 2 weeks most of them were kerbed to death again. We had the old set to dispose off and the tyres were bald on the outside of every tyre. WTF!!!! Zero F*cks Given!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 03:13 AM   #8
Beef48
Private
Rep

Looks like the consensus is self pride versus where the car comes from so thanks for the answers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
Ross_T_Boss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

My little brother took a basic detailing kit to the US with him and detailed a rental car he had for 3 weeks over there... I don't think I'd be paying to get a company car done but I'd use my best products on it, as with any other car I had.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_T_Boss View Post
My little brother took a basic detailing kit to the US with him and detailed a rental car he had for 3 weeks over there... I don't think I'd be paying to get a company car done but I'd use my best products on it, as with any other car I had.
Yeah I think paying for specific new car detail may not be worth it, however it's personal choice as it does make cleaning them later easier lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I like driving a clean car inside and out.

It will make maintenance easier. I've had a few lease cars and never had a charge as I took car of them as if they were my own.

If used for business it reflects better on you if your car is in a presentable state IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #12
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sdrive

I really don't get why anyone would think its a waste of money to pay for a company car to be detailed? If you have pcp it's no different (you don't own it and hand it back), even if you have bought it then most will trade it so it's no more a waste than in either of those scenarios. For x years it's your car, that is true of all cars (x varies) so given no one lives forever detailing any car could be considered a waste unless you will enjoy it's looks, care what it says about you, want it to be easier to maintain. I get that if you own it when it comes to resale the extra care will help it sell/the price but with the huge depreciation it's not going to help that much.
      05-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #13
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
My car has been washed 4 times since I bought it on 1/3/14. 3 of those 4 times was by my detailer.

My car is on a PCP.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #14
Beef48
Private
Rep

Can you recommend good detailed near macclesfield and what should I be expecting to pay
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquein View Post
I really don't get why anyone would think its a waste of money to pay for a company car to be detailed? If you have pcp it's no different (you don't own it and hand it back), even if you have bought it then most will trade it so it's no more a waste than in either of those scenarios. For x years it's your car, that is true of all cars (x varies) so given no one lives forever detailing any car could be considered a waste unless you will enjoy it's looks, care what it says about you, want it to be easier to maintain. I get that if you own it when it comes to resale the extra care will help it sell/the price but with the huge depreciation it's not going to help that much.

100% agree! my current car is leased and I could have just used local supermarket wash (shudder), however I like how my car looks I want it shiny and I admit I like spending time caring for it.

My next car will be pcp, however it could have been company paid for, I just don't like jaguars overly much. So it's pcp and will be detailed when I get it (soon).

However, if I was in a business whereby I knew the car would be getting abused etc, roads engineer, open cast sites etc, and I changed car yearly then, no I would not.

For our field engineers detailing would not be the main thing, having two wing mirrors and no external damage would be nice lol.

So I guess a lot does depend on individual circumstances

Admittedly I gave my mountain bike a full course of supernatural hybrid and it sparkles - for now....
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #16
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI

"I don't know about anyone else but I find it like a bit of "me time" (Zen) and its visually rewarding when you stand back"

I'm with josh +1
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #17
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB25 View Post
Some people treat their company cars like crap. A guy my dad knows has an F31 330d M-Sport in black as his company car. From day one it has been driven flat out everywhere! And I mean flat out! Its never cleaned, wheels all kerbed, tyres need changing every 12-15k, drivers mirror broken as he hit something, he buckled both front wheels so we sourced a brand new set of 400m's off eBay, put them on and within 2 weeks most of them were kerbed to death again. We had the old set to dispose off and the tyres were bald on the outside of every tyre. WTF!!!! Zero F*cks Given!!
F**kn hashy driver. Bugs the shit out of me. Some people couldn't give a f***k.
I got a loaner when mine was in getting work done. Went round the motor before accepting. It was well scraped & dented. Made sure the sketch on the form was well identified. It was a BMW managers motor aswell or so he said.
Put me right off the mineral grey.
Appreciate 0