E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > should i buy this? and this warranty? (opinions needed ASAP)

05-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

should i buy this? and this warranty? (opinions needed ASAP)

this is a cross-post from the general e90 forum but...

short version of my question;
-is the warranty service GCW any good?
and
-should i buy this car?
http://revereautogallery.com/cars/20...6#!prettyPhoto

long version;
i found this 07 328xi coupe about an hour from me, checked it out, drives great, and i got it inspected by a good local indie mechanic. what they found is on the report attached to this post. Warning, its pretty large. most of it not so bad (i can fix it myself), some of it concerning (gaskets specifically, although they're "showing signs of" leaking, not actually leaking yet.

the dealer offered to get a 2 year comprehensive warranty on it through GCW, and split the dealer-cost of the warranty with me (a 3 grand retail warranty would cost him 1300, and i'd pay half of that).
but, is GCW any good? how would i go about finding out if they have terrible coverage and constantly fight claims? would they cover stuff like leaking gaskets?

The front right rim didnt seem particularly bent visually, and it didnt make any noise at speed, it just has some rather noticeable curb rash and the tire has a 1cm square bulging bit on the sidewall

the coupe itself drives great, and it has comfort access (which i used many times on the few cars ive test driven and i love the thing), but only has sensatec sport seats without lumbaer. I was planning to swap the seats out for tan leather sport seats anyway so that isnt a total loss.

should i go for this, e90post? i've spent too long hemming and hawing over getting a car and i'm running out of time to get one. it's either get this one, or go down to connecticut (about a 1.5 hour drive) and buy a certain 330i automatic sedan from a guy, he claims to have all service records but im always wary of buying anything without a ppi....and i wont have time to schedule one...

EDIT; and someone was kind enough to run a vin report on it....this would explain the tail light issue
http://awesomescreenshot.com/00b2tin77a
Attached Images

Last edited by joekitch; 05-16-2014 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Crimson Red

Purchase

Joe,

Personally, I don't know about the warranty. Second, I do know about the purchase. I would take your $10,000...invest it (bonds, dividend paying stocks, or precious metals). And third, lease a inexpensive sport compact car for 3 years with zero down. New car warranty, low cost maintenance, new car...

My primary concern is buying a car (that will continue to depreciate) that has 140,000 miles on it.

Semper Fi

PS - Just read the VIN report - 5 owners and 2 accidents. I am sticking to my original advice - lease a new car...does not have to be a BMW.

Last edited by Former USMC; 05-17-2014 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Additional Info
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Jamrockbwoy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 550i xDrive

I wouldnt buy a BMW with anything over 60K miles but thats just me. As far as this goes. I wouldnt buy and i've never heard about the warranty company. Do a BBB lookup on them.
Appreciate 0