Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d & 718 GTS

Full M4 review + Jaguar F-type twin test in this month's Evo

It appears that Evo managed to sneak a Jaguar F-type V6 out to the M4 launch - Full M4 review and F-type twin test in this month's issue!

"I switch cars and head off in the Jaguar for what turns out to be one of the most surprising drives I think I've ever had. Flitting down the same bit of road in the F-type, it feels like I've jumped into an Elise. That last sentence sounds like a ridiculous hyperbole but I'm really not exaggerating. The whole car feels so light, responsive and direct that you'd swear it was about half the weight and half the size of the BMW. I checked afterwards and the F-type is actually slightly wider and about 60kg heavier..., yet it feels the opposite and then some."

Not what I was hoping/expecting to read!
Previous Other: Caterham 620, Lotus Exige S, TVR Cerbera

Last edited by M8 JTD; 05-16-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

And this is why I'm waiting for more reviews. So hit or miss...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

OK. That means I will never test-drive the F-type
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake View Post
My thoughts were the exact opposite. time to test-drive a Jag F-type this weekend (just for kicks at least)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Just read the article on my Evo app. Not good. An expansion of the earlier bullet pointed article.

They prefer the Jag, even though the car is a disaster on the limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Catchpole, Evo
So where does that leave us in terms of choosing between the M4 and the F-type Coupe? For some it will be a done deal even before driving the cars, because on the one hand you have the presence of two useful rear seats and on the other hand you have the sort of good looks that make sensible people do irrational things. Either of these could be deal-breakers one way or the other. In our driving terms it's quite clear-cut as well, but the decision as to which is better is hard to call. The agile Jaguar excels all the way up to the point where grip is lost and then becomes a touch scrappy, while the BMW only really sparkles when you're right on or over the limit of grip. This means that to make the best decision you've got to be very honest about the way you drive and how you enjoy driving. For some, the five percent of the time that the BMW is in its oversteering element will outweigh anything the Jag can do the rest of the time, but for others the fact that the agile Jaguar is more enjoyable more of the time means it is the obvious choice.

Viv, as ever, puts it very succinctly: 'If your enjoyment of each car could be illustrated on a grid, there would come a point where the graph lines of the Jag and BMW cross over. Thing is, for the vast majority of the time, the F-type's talent curve is much fatter than the M4's, which is why it's the one I'd have'. He's right of course, and I know that unless you're extremely lucky, empty stretches of tarmac nirvana like the N2 aren't constantly available for playing on. But I did enjoy what the M4 did in that long right hander. I think I'll rather enjoy doing that for the next 7 years.
The good news is that corner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Catchpole, Evo
Turning around and driving back down the road, I'm slightly shocked at just how many corners I seem to have tattooed with two long stripes of melted rubber. There's one particular slide through an uphill right-hander that I'll remember for some time, because it just seemed to go on and on and on. I turned in early and almost immediately had the car oversteering, but sweetly rather than luridly. It felt totally in control all the way through the corner, right foot keeping the slid going but in check on my side of the road, just an eighth of a turn of opposite lock dialled in and the razor-sharp throttle managing the rear axle every bit as precisely as in the V8 E92. All the time the m4 was accelerating through the corner feeling both balance and infinitely more balletic than I would have believed possible after the initial drive this morning.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
Rep
Drives: incoming GTS 4.0

My $.02 about the F-Type, both the base and F-type s are slower 0-60 (5.1 sec and 4.8 respectively) vs the M3/M4, only the F-type R is as fast, but starts at $100,000, and has bad MPG. The standard brakes on all three are the crappy sliding calipers, with the F-Type R being the only one with optional up-gradable brakes. The big one, is NO manual transmission, same gripe I have about MB C63. But hey, at least you get the cool door handles with the Jag.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Specs are meaningless in my book..what's really important is what it feels like to drive and in return how does the car make you feel when you drive it

Jag has a bad rep but the new stuff they've been putting out is full of soul and character that make them a joy to drive. If you have driven a Jag recently do yourself a favor and go try one. It's not the floating boat Jag of yesteryear. I did an event where I drove their entire range (except for the F type) HARD and I was in awe at how much I enjoyed each car.

To be clear, I'm still taking the M4 over a Jag F type mostly bc the M4 has a true dual clutch, 2 rear seats and doesn't have the awful touch screen infotainment system in the Jag. However I'm not surprised in the least bit that the Jag may just be the more fun car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #8
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

I drove the F-Type V6 a month ago. Have to say I was impressed. Felt very solid, quick and sounded great. Also thought the build quality was good and the styling is fantastic. Didn't care for the ZF8 - good tranny *for an automatic*, but not what I want in that kind of car. Steering was okay, nothing special.

The one I drove was maxed out and was well over $80k (!). I obviously have yet to drive the F8x but can't imagine taking the Jag over the M. If were to go down that road I would think used 991/997 GT3, even a Vantage S. Looking forward to seeing the F-Type coupe, hottest styling around IMO.
      05-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #9
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

In the Chris Harris review thread, everyone singing Catchpole's laurels on how objective he is....looks like that lasted for about two hours
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

British press in Jaguar "love in" shock.

Not the first time really, I'm sure it's excellent by the way, it looks amazing and will be a great drive. Not for me with the 2 seats. Same press that constantly insist the LR Disco is the best 5 star SUV for every one if it's 7 years life cycle (or however old it is now)!
      05-17-2014, 03:07 AM   #11
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake View Post
Do it, that engine is stupid fun, and go for the V8 S for extra giggles. If it wasn't only offered with an automatic, and wasn't a Jag, I'd be all over it. Car is sexier than any three BMWs put together.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #12
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
In the Chris Harris review thread, everyone singing Catchpole's laurels on how objective he is....looks like that lasted for about two hours
Okay I adore Chris and think he's hands down the best but he never really says anything THAT negative about a car. He's not the type to groan and complain about things others complain about. With the GTR he said that everyone's claims of it being soul-less were dumb simply bc it goes so fast that it shouldn't be a complaint. I'm sorry but I've driven a GTR at a F1 circuit and beat all the other cars in the class with ease...but I was still bored the whole time. To me that's soul-less.

In Chris's entire review of the M4 he seems to openly acknowledge the complaints by other reviewers but dismisses the complaints as not really being a big deal to him. The entire article felt like he was defending why the M4 wasn't bad rather than him being absolutely enamored with it.

I desperately want to love the M4. I've been waiting 3 years for it and I feel like I've been doing nothing but setting myself up for disappointment. The first disappointment was the name change (the M3 name is sacred why change?), then the twin turbo i6 and the potentially uninspiring sound, then the questionable looks of the coupe vs. the sedan, then the wheels not being 19" standard in the US and that I have to pay $4k just to get a backup cam, then the really lackluster color palette. All of these sounded symptomatic of a different BMW than the BMW I used to love.

Still I traveled from SF to the Houston Auto Show just to see the M4 in person and thought it looked phenomenal in person. I put down my deposit and check these forums everyday in anticipation. It was encouraging to see UAE247's initial posts and praise but after the honeymoon phase he seems to be changing his tone lately to being more disappointed than happy.

I'm still hopeful that the M4 will really make me happy but it better be better than my RS5 or BMW isn't getting my money. Cheers to hoping that I'm making a big fuss about nothing
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #13
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Could never bring myself to own a Jag, and that's from a Brit who you'd expect to be a flag waving jag driver.
Did take a look at the F-type when they were released, I wasn't impressed.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #14
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Okay I adore Chris and think he's hands down the best but he never really says anything THAT negative about a car. He's not the type to groan and complain about things others complain about. With the GTR he said that everyone's claims of it being soul-less were dumb simply bc it goes so fast that it shouldn't be a complaint. I'm sorry but I've driven a GTR at a F1 circuit and beat all the other cars in the class with ease...but I was still bored the whole time. To me that's soul-less.

In Chris's entire review of the M4 he seems to openly acknowledge the complaints by other reviewers but dismisses the complaints as not really being a big deal to him. The entire article felt like he was defending why the M4 wasn't bad rather than him being absolutely enamored with it.

I desperately want to love the M4. I've been waiting 3 years for it and I feel like I've been doing nothing but setting myself up for disappointment. The first disappointment was the name change (the M3 name is sacred why change?), then the twin turbo i6 and the potentially uninspiring sound, then the questionable looks of the coupe vs. the sedan, then the wheels not being 19" standard in the US and that I have to pay $4k just to get a backup cam, then the really lackluster color palette. All of these sounded symptomatic of a different BMW than the BMW I used to love.

Still I traveled from SF to the Houston Auto Show just to see the M4 in person and thought it looked phenomenal in person. I put down my deposit and check these forums everyday in anticipation. It was encouraging to see UAE247's initial posts and praise but after the honeymoon phase he seems to be changing his tone lately to being more disappointed than happy.

I'm still hopeful that the M4 will really make me happy but it better be better than my RS5 or BMW isn't getting my money. Cheers to hoping that I'm making a big fuss about nothing
I think you are worrying about nothing and reading too much into the negative points. For someone who is not enamoured with the car he has made some pretty bold statements on twitter this week.....
Attached Images

2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #15
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3
Where did anyone say that his review was crap? I said I respect him and I still do. Just not what I wanted to hear from him!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #16
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
It is an interesting comparison, but not relevant for everyone. It really is the problem of the M3 - it draws comparisons to sports cars like the F type or Corvette, but many buyers (like me) want and need the 4 seats. So this is never a comparison I would run - I wouldn't cross shop the two because the F type just isn't what I need.

Is it a better pure sports car? Probably. Is it as useful as a DD? For those with kids or who need a trunk (thinking convertible F type) no.

Has been said elsewhere, but the point of the M is to be both a track beast and a useful DD. That is why it is a souped up version of a regular ole 3 series and not a stand alone sports car model, like the F type. Different life missions.
      05-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #17
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Actually no one did, yet. Was being sarcastic and making a prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Where did anyone say that his review was crap? I said I respect him and I still do. Just not what I wanted to hear from him!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #18
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Actually no one did, yet. Was being sarcastic and making a prediction.
The straw men say hi!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #19
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Do it, that engine is stupid fun, and go for the V8 S for extra giggles. If it wasn't only offered with an automatic, and wasn't a Jag, I'd be all over it. Car is sexier than any three BMWs put together.
No no no!
I will avoid anything that might let me regret the choice I did
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #20
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

SCANS - M4 vs Jaguar F-type (Evo July 2014)

Enjoy the comparo!!
Attached Images

05-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #21
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Bizarre review I must say: it's the first time I've read anywhere that the M4 feels ponderous...
      05-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #22
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Thanks
Appreciate 0