E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Vacuum lines?

05-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
2chenz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Vacuum lines?

I took my car in to get serviced for the first time ever. Went in to get a few things checked: slight rattle noise when starting up, car slightly chugs at idle, and something grinds/squeeks when making sharp turns.

Turns out there was an oil leak on the engine block that hopefully this "Safe Drive/Guard" extended warranty I bought covers.

Anyway, for the rattling my SA said he would cover the turbos but would have to change the vacuum lines which would run me about $525 or something to that effect. My question is this: Can I take my car elsewhere to get the vacuum lines replaced and have the dealer replace the turbos or do the vacuum lines have to be replaced at the same time while doing the turbos?

I miss my car... this 428 is getting a little boring to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
What did they specify the oil leak is? I was told I have an oil leak in my 'bed plate' when I got my turbos replaced. They quoted me $6k to fix. I passed. F that. Don't leak oil and car runs great. Still have this shitty feeling in the back of my mind that they were being honest. Haven't heard of a single person on any forums mention this leak yet.

Good luck with your ride. Hope you can get the lines replaced without coming out of pocket like that. Sucks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
2chenz
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
What did they specify the oil leak is? I was told I have an oil leak in my 'bed plate' when I got my turbos replaced. They quoted me $6k to fix. I passed. F that. Don't leak oil and car runs great. Still have this shitty feeling in the back of my mind that they were being honest. Haven't heard of a single person on any forums mention this leak yet.

Good luck with your ride. Hope you can get the lines replaced without coming out of pocket like that. Sucks!
He said something about having to change the gaskets. Safe Drive said straight up they wouldn't cover the lines so hopefully that little oil leak gets covered. If not, I'm assuming it's going to cost around what you got quoted for if it doesn't get covered.

Thanks though.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Stash and Chenz - more info on this oil leak please. What specific gasket is problematic?

And why won't your warranty cover the vacuum lines? Their replacement is due to turbocharger failure. That's like saying they will cover replacement for a cracked head, but not the head gasket. Are they denying the fact that the lines require replacement?

And $500+ to replace? That's crazy.
      05-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
2chenz
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEE View Post
Stash and Chenz - more info on this oil leak please. What specific gasket is problematic?

And why won't your warranty cover the vacuum lines? Their replacement is due to turbocharger failure. That's like saying they will cover replacement for a cracked head, but not the head gasket. Are they denying the fact that the lines require replacement?

And $500+ to replace? That's crazy.
SA was being vague and said a gasket needed to be replaced and that the oil leak was coming from the engine block.

And I'm not sure why they wouldn't cover it. It says in the brochure: turbocharger, waste gate controller, intercooler, hard lines, compressor, clutch and pulley, bypass valve, injection pump, lines and nozzles. It also mentions vacuum pumps.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
2chenz
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Stay away from Safe-Guard/Drive! They didn't want to cover anything and my SA said they were a difficult and ruthless company to deal with.

Good news is that the dealership is going to replace my turbos and will hopefully be getting my car back tomorrow. I miss it so much!
Appreciate 0