BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Maintenance costs on older 3-series?

11-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Biz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '99.5 Pathfinder

Maintenance costs on older 3-series?

For those of you that have kept a 3-series past the warranty period, what did the maintenance cost you on an annual basis? Did you go to a dealership or independent shop?

I'm asking because the majority of the people on E90Post seem to lease (and therefore never pay for their own maintenance) and I only have experience with Japanese cars (maintenance running about $500/year, including tires), so going German does have me a bit concerned about upkeep long term.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I bought my car - I'm definitively replacing my car the day after the 4-year warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I think the numbers are pretty balanced between those of us who've purchased our cars, and those that leased them. I for one bought mine, and am approaching 43k miles.

The best thing would be to contact your dealer (or search the internet). See what the service/maintenance schedule is; and what their cost are for the 50k, 75k inspections. Keep in mind that most independent shops will be cheaper if you have maintenance done there.
Figure to spend about $100 per oil change, and a set of tires every 20k miles or so.
      12-01-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
Biz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '99.5 Pathfinder

That's a good idea, nmulax, but I was also worried about the non-scheduled maintenance costs. It seems like the people I know with older BMWs have various minor issues with electronics and leaks that can be costly to repair nevertheless.
Appreciate 0