F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > searched and no luck. please help on sending text on idrive
ARMA SPEED

05-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

searched and no luck. please help on sending text on idrive

ok I searched for the answer to my question but seems like I have problem finding it. so here we go..
I have samsung galaxy s3 (soon to be s5).
After I connected Via BT, it started getting texts no problem.
However, when I try to reply, below recipient, there is a line saying "dictate text" and my phone name greyed out below that.
Anyways I go to dictate text and it shows "dragon drive" and I need to register.
So, seems like once I register I have to pay for the dragon drive?
Is that the only way to text someone via idrive?
I don't even know how to text while stationary. Could anyone give me steps to text
someone from the screen where you put in recipient?
Not only for me, I think this thread will help those who are confused at this if someone can give step by step instruction while 1.stationary 2. while moving.
Thank you so much in advance.
I do have BMW apps etc btw if you wanted to know.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
orma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2014 335i w/ PPK.

You can either sign up for Dragon Drive (no clue how much -- I never could figure it out from their horrible website) or if your phone has S-Voice (Siri on iPhones) then you just hold the talk button down and dictate a text using your phone instead. Siri/S-Voice integration only works on MY2014 the F3x unless you've had your car coded to enable the feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by orma View Post
You can either sign up for Dragon Drive (no clue how much -- I never could figure it out from their horrible website) or if your phone has S-Voice (Siri on iPhones) then you just hold the talk button down and dictate a text using your phone instead. Siri/S-Voice integration only works on MY2014 the F3x unless you've had your car coded to enable the feature.
Not seen yet that it can be coded on 13?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orma View Post
thank you. Mine is 2014 model. so how do I get it integrated?
also how do I send a text while not moving?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
jaffab
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 420d xdrive M Sport

Note, the first thing you need to do is google "replace s voice with google now" and change the settings on your phone to use google now otherwise none of this will work.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

you cannot do the dictation if your car has CIC. it cannot be coded into the car either.
      05-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

what is CIC?
I will look up how to replace s voice with google now.
thank you guys.
I am still looking for someone to write step by step instruction.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksi View Post
what is CIC?
I will look up how to replace s voice with google now.
thank you guys.
I am still looking for someone to write step by step instruction.
You don't need to worry about this. CIC is the older iDrive, pre MY 14. That was a response to Dirty Ape.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
You don't need to worry about this. CIC is the older iDrive, pre MY 14. That was a response to Dirty Ape.
Ok i won't worry about cic
But please, someone show me how to send text while not moving at least!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:39 AM   #10
jaffab
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 420d xdrive M Sport

Ok - now I have a keyboard, some information for you....

First off, Google NOW is what you want - you wont be able to do anything flash with the Samsung s-voice stuff. Plenty of posts on how to disable S-voice and replace it with Google NOW if you do some searching on google.

With Google now, you can voice dictate with your phone - press the red button and say "text joe blogs and say lend me some money" - Google now will look up the name, and will send a text (with a confirmation of "about to send text to joe bloggs of ....").

In your car, the Google now works the same - but here is the thing.... when you press the voice button on your car, you are speaking to your CAR. Do a long press on the voice control when your phone is connected by BT, and you will be speaking to your phone, and you can say the standard google now commands including "send text to ...." etc) - your phones responses will show up on your cars screen.

The only headache you may have, depending on your phone, is that if your phone screen is off, the voice command may talk to google voice dial instead of google now - but this is easily sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffab View Post
Ok - now I have a keyboard, some information for you....

First off, Google NOW is what you want - you wont be able to do anything flash with the Samsung s-voice stuff. Plenty of posts on how to disable S-voice and replace it with Google NOW if you do some searching on google.

With Google now, you can voice dictate with your phone - press the red button and say "text joe blogs and say lend me some money" - Google now will look up the name, and will send a text (with a confirmation of "about to send text to joe bloggs of ....").

In your car, the Google now works the same - but here is the thing.... when you press the voice button on your car, you are speaking to your CAR. Do a long press on the voice control when your phone is connected by BT, and you will be speaking to your phone, and you can say the standard google now commands including "send text to ...." etc) - your phones responses will show up on your cars screen.

The only headache you may have, depending on your phone, is that if your phone screen is off, the voice command may talk to google voice dial instead of google now - but this is easily sorted.
Thank you! I google'd how to disable s voice and get google now to work.
Havent tried yet since i wanted to wait for someone to answer this for me. I will definitely try. Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

How does one enable Google Now over Bluetooth on 2013 NBT? Would one need to upgrade firmware as well as enable via coding? Is there anyone doing this as a service? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
KaffineKiller
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp

Garage List
2013 F10 535  [0.00]
2014 BMW F30 335i  [0.00]
2008 335i  [9.50]
Anyone know if something similar is for the iPhone?
      05-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
How does one enable Google Now over Bluetooth on 2013 NBT? Would one need to upgrade firmware as well as enable via coding? Is there anyone doing this as a service? Thanks.
If your software level is on 50.4 or higher, it can simply be FDL coded. I did this for a 2013 F10 535i the other week and it worked like a charm.

I would say if you received a software update from the dealer after September 2013, you should be good to have it coded.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0