XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
T_Tran
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Importing X5 from US to Canada

My dad is thinking of importing a X5 from the US to canada and he told me to scoop up some info. My dad knows that we have to go get the car certified to meet canadian standards, and the place that certifies you provides unit conversion stickers but.. how do they look like? pics could help thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
ayagutak
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 4.6IS DEMAN

Thumbs up importing to canada

first you need to get your hands, on the registrantion papers of the vich your bring down. these paper most be given to the us coustom 72 hours before you bring the vich into canada. after 72 hour has pass you may bring it in. if the vich is not usa made, you will pay 6.1 percent on the prize of the vich pluse 5 percent fed tax's bring a cridet card they dont take cash. the 6.1 and 5 percent tax's are payed at the canadaion customy they will check your vich. once you pay your free to go, latter you will need to get a fed\and prov inspection the fed inspiction is free from any canadaion tire, the provincal is 95.75$ once this done you can register you vich at your locale dmv. there the 3rd taxe most be payed the provincal taxes, at 7 percent they dont take credite card. that it have fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

You may also need a BMW Recall letter certifying that there is no recall pending on that vehicle. Starting July 1, Customs Canada was accepting this letter from BMW USA not just BMW Canada. I think this letter costs $500.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Tran View Post
My dad is thinking of importing a X5 from the US to canada and he told me to scoop up some info. My dad knows that we have to go get the car certified to meet canadian standards, and the place that certifies you provides unit conversion stickers but.. how do they look like? pics could help thanks.
You need to do some reading on Transport Canada's website as well as the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIVV) website.

There are costs from BMW associated with transferring warranty and the local dealer may have to do an inspection to satisfy BMW Canada prior to transferring the warranty. You don't get the maintenanceand can't buy a certified used warranty on a US car either. You won't have to pay a 6% import duty because the X5 is made in the USA (not Europe).

Whatever changes to the vehicle are required are set out on the Transport Canada website.

Keep in mind that the exchange rate @ 22% removes most of the savings on an imported vehicle. If your Dad isn't an expert at importing vehicles, he might find it a costly learning experience. He might be better off to pay an experienced and reliable importer to take care of the details and import the vehcile for him. The $1,500 to 2,000 he will pay wil more than make up for the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
wangxy83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C350 4matics

You can't buy a new X5 in USA, they can only sell a used one to you same as Audi. You will need someone has a valid American address to buy the car and register it in USA if you want a new one. Maybe ask your friend to buy it for you then give it to you as a "gift" (But I don't know if it is legal or not.). I was at a BMW dealer in ohio, seems too much hassle for me so I finally decided not to! Plus due to the current exchange rate, you are probably only going to save 3000-4000 dollar!
Appreciate 0