European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Milban
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 ordered

M4 idrive vs Z06 interface & capabilities

I'm shopping the Z06 and getting down to the real world livability details.
I've got an M4 on order and the delays make all (most) of us look around. I love the around town daily driving enjoyment of massive torque. The Z06 has gobs of it, and although the pics of the car are polarizing, the car, in person, is impressive.
The idrive w touch writing surface is one of the not so highly published, wonderful features of the M4. Being able to control the gps from it, while driving, is a huge feature. Does anyone know how this, and any other of the not so heavily published details of the Z06 compare?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

after seeing the vette in person, at first i was like wow that thing looks aggressive as f*ck.. but as time passed, the car started looking a little childish (too many vents and what not)

It's like they say. Usually something that looks good instantly ends up aging poorly.. while something that looks decent ends up growing on you

my opinion of course
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

The vette will be faster and a blast to drive. All about preferences
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milban View Post
I'm shopping the Z06 and getting down to the real world livability details.
I've got an M4 on order and the delays make all (most) of us look around. I love the around town daily driving enjoyment of massive torque. The Z06 has gobs of it, and although the pics of the car are polarizing, the car, in person, is impressive.
The idrive w touch writing surface is one of the not so highly published, wonderful features of the M4. Being able to control the gps from it, while driving, is a huge feature. Does anyone know how this, and any other of the not so heavily published details of the Z06 compare?
I imagine the Z06 will have the same GPS as the current Stingray Corvette. You might want to Youtube search for "Stingray navigation" or something to see if people have put up videos of how it works.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

If you want it to be like the M4 Nav system just go buy a tablet and Velcro it to the dash. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

I've been looking at a normal C7, and it seems from the C7 forums that GM has not solved the electrical nannies on the car. Hopefully more software updates will be created, but it seems like the GM system (not sure what it is called) is crap.

Screen resetting itself while driving, getting frozen, etc, bluetooth not pairing.

Granted, I personally don't care too much as long as it doesn't cause the car to crash since I really only leave it on one station, and I don't call people over bluetooth too much.
      05-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
I've been looking at a normal C7, and it seems from the C7 forums that GM has not solved the electrical nannies on the car. Hopefully more software updates will be created, but it seems like the GM system (not sure what it is called) is crap.

Screen resetting itself while driving, getting frozen, etc, bluetooth not pairing.

Granted, I personally don't care too much as long as it doesn't cause the car to crash since I really only leave it on one station, and I don't call people over bluetooth too much.
I wouldn't worry. Going by GM's history, they'll put a recall out about the time of the introduction of the C9 that will cure all of that.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

GM's newest infotainment system is pretty simple. Not as complex as BMW's but it works pretty well in my experience. It's about 100 times better than the one in the C6. You won't be using it much anyway with 630hp under your foot.
Appreciate 0