E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Door lock actuators not covered by Extended Vehicle Protection Plan?

05-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
krispyjala
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sports Sedan

Door lock actuators not covered by Extended Vehicle Protection Plan?

Hey all,
Recently, I had the common door lock actuators shorting out 15A fuse issue per SI BI 51-19-07. I've looked through the forums etc and it seems like many people had the problem covered by CPO and was able to get the door actuators replaced, but so I was wondering if anyone ever had it covered by the Extended Vehicle Plan? I bought mine to extend to 6yrs/100k. But apparently, when I took it in, the service advisor said it's not covered by the EVP, even though I have the gold plan, because the door lock actuators are considered to be part of the body instead of part of the power lock mechanism. Anybody able to take care of that issue with the EVP they've got? The dealership wanted almost $800 just to replace the actuators, so I held off and only changed fuse 73 to 20A. That is interesting too as I thought usually fuse 57 blew, not 73. Sorry if my terminology is lacking, as I'm pretty noob at cars in general.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Replacing the fuse with a higher amperage is not a good idea. You should replace the actuator ASAP. Instead of paying $400/door at the dealer, DIY for about $60/door. Plan on spending 2 hours on each door.
Appreciate 0