THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Pathetic mobility kits. Going to buy a spare. Rant.

05-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Pathetic mobility kits. Going to buy a spare. Rant.

I was one of those who was all for that mentality of who cares if it's not runflat and I'll be fine with an air compressor and some tire slime and worst case scenario I'll call roadside assistance and get towed away. And I did just fine for the past 100k miles on my E90 with just those while running Michelin Pilot SuperSports. I did have one instance of a puncture a couple of years back that was sidewall and had to stop every 30 seconds to add more air to make it to the dealer, but other than that I have been fine.

Well, I'm over that. Once you have the perfect storm where everything goes wrong, you'll probably change your mind too.

I hit a pothole that put a huge rip in my tire and also bent my wheel. Tire slime was worthless. Air compressor didn't do a damn thing and roadside assistance sucked and made me wait each time 30 minutes just to speak to a live person. And then I waited 45 minutes for the tow truck to arrive the next morning. I was nowhere near my home when it happened late at night.

I walked a few miles in a bad storm to go get more tire slime thinking that maybe it would help. I took a bunch of cabs. I had to waste money on a used tire (and more cabs back and forth) and get that put on my bent wheel just so I could be semi mobile until I get a replacement wheel and new tire and do that again next week. And I missed half the day today dealing with it.

With a spare I could have been back on the road in 10 minutes and dealt with it on my own time. I wouldn't have had to get a junk used tire mounted on my junk bent rim just to hold me off. Between the wasted money, headache and wasted time, I spent way more than a simple space saver spare would have cost.

I'll be buying one of those before I have my M235i stateside and putting it in the trunk just in case. I'll be thrilled if I never use it and manage with the mobility kit. I'll be even more thrilled to be prepared for another scenario like today.

Last edited by five3three; 05-01-2014 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

This might be a dumb question and I assume the answer is "no" since the profile will be different enough that it matters, but if you're getting a set of winter rims and tires anyway could you get by with throwing one of those in the trunk for summer and one of the summer in the trunk for winter? Not to drive indefinitely obviously but enough to get safely home without screwing everything up?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

This is the nightmare scenario, but I'm going a different way. I don't want to take up the trunk with a spare rattling around. In Michigan, I want All Season tires anyway, as the useful time for Summer tires is too brief. Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus come in zero pressure and have great reviews on tirerack.com. Those should be far better RFTs than the OE. I'm going to change to those when the car arrives (after I get around to ordering a 2015).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
yep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i ED June 11

On the one hand, you're right, the notion of not having a spare tire is really just a bad idea. I don't really understand the reasoning behind not having a spare tire. To "save weight", but it only saves 25-30 pounds. More like, "to save money" - for BMW.

On the other hand, you can't be prepared for all possible scenarios. Sometimes bad stuff just happens. I think we've all been in some kind of unfortunate scenario that was stressful. Car accident, major home emergency, etc.

Shit happens.

Boy Scout motto says, "always be prepared." A BMW coupe with no spare tire is definitely not a car that someone with that mentality would buy. You have to know what you're getting into. I am going into my first BMW KNOWING that it is going to be a HUGE loss of money with HUGE increase in insurance premium and HUGE maintenance costs and HUGE cost to buy a set of winter tires and not fuel efficient etc.

All in all you came out alright I think.

Last edited by yep; 05-01-2014 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that op

now im thinking to get my winter setup with RFTs
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
Shit happens.
I agree. But, this shit is entirely avoidable. Try telling your boss that you couldn't come in and had to go through so much crap because of a tire issue. Of course I couldn't go with that story.

I have had breakdowns on the highway, etc and I don't plan on avoiding all issues. However, the fact that I can avoid ever being stranded due to a tire or wheel issue by throwing a 20 or so pound space saver in my trunk, I'm going to do it. I probably weight 20 pounds less than average so I saved some weight there.

I totally see your point though. If you had asked me yesterday, I would have said the same thing. The time and headache wasted alone today is worth way more to me than the $300 I will pay for that mobility kit. I would have replied the exact same thing you did just 24 hours ago.

And this isn't my first BMW. I know shit happens. I have had every shit possible happen with this car in the past 100k miles including breaking down in the middle of a 4 lane highway during rush hour.

For a tire breakdown though, I'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
This might be a dumb question and I assume the answer is "no" since the profile will be different enough that it matters, but if you're getting a set of winter rims and tires anyway could you get by with throwing one of those in the trunk for summer and one of the summer in the trunk for winter? Not to drive indefinitely obviously but enough to get safely home without screwing everything up?
Yes, you'd be fine doing that. Generally with the staggered setup, you use the front tire as your spare and you'd be just fine. You wouldn't screw anything up. Your winter setup will likely be the same size as your summer setup front tire, which you can also use in the rear (as it is what comes with the car for those who ordered runflats).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Sorry to hear that op

now im thinking to get my winter setup with RFTs

Yeah, winter tires aren't the quietest in general so any road noise caused by an RFT is a non-issue in the winter. I'll probably do the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Runflats, what BEM-S4 said or something like this: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/spare_tire/ES2535349/. Seems simple to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem
Runflats, what BEM-S4 said or something like this: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/spare_tire/ES2535349/" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.ecstuning...ES2535349/</a>. Seems simple to me.
Lol i got my current winter setup for $400 (all 4 wheel/tires)...but used

No way I'm spending $500 on a donut

Harbor freight has a scissor jack for $20 and its a perfect fit for bmws....a wrench and a socket is around $30
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
Runflats, what BEM-S4 said or something like this: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/spare_tire/ES2535349/. Seems simple to me.
It sounds very simple to me too. And for a 50k car I'll take it.

I'm either buying that or the original BMW version that's only available in Europe. I see some places selling it for 300-400 online. I'm doing euro delivery next week but by the time by 235 arrives stateside, I'll have that ready to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Lol i got my current winter setup for $400 (all 4 wheel/tires)...but used

No way I'm spending $500 on a donut

A simple cheap used wheel or tire rack one for 100 bucks with a cheap tire would do just fine too. It won't have the same compact profile and will take up more trunk space. I think that's the selling point.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
It is always a good idea to have Roadside Assistance from your insurance company as well. It's usually only about 10 bucks/6 months but gives you added security when this sort of thing happens. And since they specialize in this sort of stuff (for the rest of the world who can't afford a fancy BMW with Assist, but still need that assistance), they are much quicker.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Yes, you'd be fine doing that. Generally with the staggered setup, you use the front tire as your spare and you'd be just fine. You wouldn't screw anything up. Your winter setup will likely be the same size as your summer setup front tire, which you can also use in the rear (as it is what comes with the car for those who ordered runflats).
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't run around town with a winter wheel back there all the time, but for a road trip or something might not be the worst idea in the world. Since the donut won't fit under the mat in the trunk it will still be annoying back there but not take up as much room.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
five3three
Major
Rep

I know we're all tough and troopers and can handle whatever the world throws at us, including hours of being disabled for whatever reason.

But, if I had my mother in the car or my niece, or a kid when I have one, or even my girl/wife, why would I want to have them along crying/nagging/annoying me and putting them in such a potentially unsafe situation if it's entirely avoidable?! Especially in a BMW...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Bavarian Autosport sells them in the U.S. and on eBay, seem to be between $200-$300. You could always steal one while in Europe and stow it in your checked baggage
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Bavarian Autosport sells them in the U.S. and on eBay, seem to be between $200-$300. You could always steal one while in Europe and stow it in your checked baggage
I am definitely considering that as a possibility!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
I am definitely considering that as a possibility!
Just don't get caught in airport security! They took me in the back in Frankfurt once to swab my hands and look in my bag (random routine BS) but being in a tiny windowless room with everyone yelling in German is not an experience I would care to repeat.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
On the one hand, you're right, the notion of not having a spare tire is really just a bad idea. I don't really understand the reasoning behind not having a spare tire. To "save weight", but it only saves 25-30 pounds. More like, "to save money" - for BMW.

On the other hand, you can't be prepared for all possible scenarios. Sometimes bad stuff just happens. I think we've all been in some kind of unfortunate scenario that was stressful. Car accident, major home emergency, etc.

Shit happens.

Boy Scout motto says, "always be prepared." A BMW coupe with no spare tire is definitely not a car that someone with that mentality would buy. You have to know what you're getting into. I am going into my first BMW KNOWING that it is going to be a HUGE loss of money with HUGE increase in insurance premium and HUGE maintenance costs and HUGE cost to buy a set of winter tires and not fuel efficient etc.

All in all you came out alright I think.
why the huge increase in premiums? just for no spare?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
why the huge increase in premiums? just for no spare?
No, he's just talking about compared to whatever else he's driving now assuming it's cheap comparatively so premium would go up.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Sounds like a lot of fear... Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #22
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized View Post
It is always a good idea to have Roadside Assistance from your insurance company as well. It's usually only about 10 bucks/6 months but gives you added security when this sort of thing happens. And since they specialize in this sort of stuff (for the rest of the world who can't afford a fancy BMW with Assist, but still need that assistance), they are much quicker.
I do have that. My State Farm insurance emergency roadside assistance is what made me wait 30 min to reach a live being for each call. BMW is no better and have had a similar crappy experience with them.

And good luck breaking down on a busy day like during a huge storm. Them apologizing all the time won't make a truck available.
Appreciate 0