E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330d N57 spluttered and died at lights

04-22-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
AzRiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LE500

330d N57 spluttered and died at lights

Hi guys,

I have a 2010 330d (N57) which has run very well on the most part since I bought it in November. It has now hit 50k miles, oil+filter was changed about 7k miles ago along with the fuel filter and air filter. I pulled out and brushed off the air filter after washing the car yesterday (had a few leaves and some dirt on it as expected).

Occasionally, especially in the last month, it will have a lumpy cold start where the whole car will shake until I get moving. This hasn't happened for the last few days, though.

However - this morning, after a smooth and silky cold start, I exit my driveway and join traffic, and stop at the first set of lights as usual. Once moving again, as I brake to a standstill for a second set of lights, the engine starts spluttering very violently and I realise that the engine does not respond to throttle at all when the light goes green. I slowly crawl to the side as I was already in 'D' and then stop and restart the car. It starts perfectly and drives off again perfectly. The following 49-mile drive it work was super smooth.

Does anyone have any idea what may have happened? It's the first time the car has messed up in any way since I got it and I don't want it happening again in a more dangerous situation. The car drives 500+ miles a week, 99% being on the motorway at 60+ mph. I do put my foot down a few times in each journey to keep things flowing nicely internally.

Factor to note: it was raining very hard yesterday and last night (car was sat on driveway all day) and it was raining lightly as I set off this morning.

No error codes have ever shown up on the dash.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0