E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > OEM Ignition Coils at Pep Boys

04-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
DeezE90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90, 2005 ZHP, 1999 323

OEM Ignition Coils at Pep Boys

My E90 just has over 58K, and my ignition coil went bad. My car was idling really poorly and rough and then check engine light went on. I suspected misfire, so I went to PepBoys (of all places) and got a free scan. Saying error with cylinder 1. Has to be ignition coil. I called BMW and I am out of warranty....$110 for the part alone, so I bought one at Pep Boys for now since I am low on $$, come to compare the original part with the one from Pep Boys...both are BOSCH and are exactly the same! Same your money and get it from PepBoys. The brand name was BWD, but it is OEM. Carries a lifetime warranty which is awesome. Cost me $57 + tax!! Just wanted to pass that along.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Look up eBay seller:
Germanautosupply

Thank me later.
Also, would recommend changing all spark plugs and coils at the same time.

If you have a 335i, get a walnut blast of the intake ports.

DN
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezE90 View Post
My E90 just has over 58K, and my ignition coil went bad. My car was idling really poorly and rough and then check engine light went on. I suspected misfire, so I went to PepBoys (of all places) and got a free scan. Saying error with cylinder 1. Has to be ignition coil. I called BMW and I am out of warranty....$110 for the part alone, so I bought one at Pep Boys for now since I am low on $$, come to compare the original part with the one from Pep Boys...both are BOSCH and are exactly the same! Same your money and get it from PepBoys. The brand name was BWD, but it is OEM. Carries a lifetime warranty which is awesome. Cost me $57 + tax!! Just wanted to pass that along.
Hopefully that fixed it, but the cause could be many things and ignition coils really don't fail all that often. Regardless, if a dealer quoted you $110 for a coil, that's highway robbery. MSRP is $65 and you can buy one for $50 from many places. Also, Bosch makes the OEM part. BWD sells OE-compatible parts, in fact, their motto is "When OE fails, trust BWD". You can find BWD parts in may auto parts chains including Advance Auto and OReilly. Nothing wrong with the brand though.