THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Steering Wheel Control Question

04-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Steering Wheel Control Question

I know there are volume controls on the steering wheel - but are there next/previous controls on the wheel as well? Or do I have to move my hand from the wheel and reach over to the stereo or (gasp) use the i-drive wheel and look at a screen to skip/fast forward/rewind songs?

Specifically concerned about ipod control.

(If this exists on the wheel, does it work with bluetooth as well?)
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
You have to use the I-drive wheel or buttons on the radio.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
You have to use the I-drive wheel or buttons on the radio.
That.... is a serious disappointment. It's absolutely the most used button on my car, exponentially more than my start/stop button.
Is there any way to re-assign (bind) buttons to another function? What about those toggle sticks?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
interlock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 M35d

Or you can use the black scroll wheel on the steering wheel. It will can do next
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So that means there is a mechanism to do next/prev on the wheel?

Do you have to go into a menu in i-drive every time you get into the car before that will operate the prev/next or does idrive stay in the last menu location you were in last?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post

Do you have to go into a menu in i-drive every time you get into the car before that will operate the prev/next or does idrive stay in the last menu location you were in last?
Yes. In mine with the tech package, there is a up/down scroll wheel next to the volume buttons and when you hit it either way, it brings up a menu between your speedometer/tachometer that shows song names going both directions and you can scroll the wheel to go up down the entire playlist of what you're playing, then you push the scroll wheel in on the center and it will pick whatever you're on. Works for sat radio, usb tracks, on-board hard drive music collection, radio stations, bluetooth music, etc..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Quote:
The car starts up where you had it last, unless it's something that has to be connected post start-up, like bluetooth, which will wait until the phone is connected then start back up without you doing anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Its a bit tough to see as this pic is blurry but the scroll wheel can be used to go the next or previous song. As you scroll it should show the next or previous song in your cluster. Then just press the scroll but to go the the song you have highlighted.
this is the way it works in a friends 335i. I am pretty sure its the same as the wheels look identical.

04-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, but if you love having a "next" on shuffle settings be prepared to give it up. It'll ditch shuffle and show you what's next alphabetically using that wheel.
      04-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
cv2002
Rep
Drives: 228i Gran Coupe

Seconded on the shuffle next. No way to do it from the steering wheel. Even my E46 with an aftermarket MediaBridge would allow me to hit next from the steering wheel. In the M235i, I use the button the on the console. Its not too bad a reach and I sit pretty far back.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
Yes, but if you love having a "next" on shuffle settings be prepared to give it up. It'll ditch shuffle and show you what's next alphabetically using that wheel.
This was exactly what I was wishing the scroll wheel would do.
I'm one of 'those' types that likes to change songs frequently until I find one I like. I also like keeping both hands on the wheel unless I'm shifting. Bummer.
It sounds like they still behave like the 2010 328 courtesy cars I would drive when my 135 was in for HPFP, injectors, and ignition problems so many times.

I work with computers and know it would almost be trivial to change this behavior in software, but I'm sure it's intentionally dumbed down to prevent any esoteric configurations becoming a problem.

I never thought I'd be the kind of person to hate technological advances in certain things such as cars, because all it does is become more annoying in how you "have to use it"
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Been bummed about this since my dad got his 2011 550i. Much to my disappointment it seems to be becoming standard on BMW cars which is a disappointment because I use that next button quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

Scroll wheel and black panel display means you see track names between rev and speedo and can skip forward and back as said
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes View Post
Scroll wheel and black panel display means you see track names between rev and speedo and can skip forward and back as said
But not with shuffle enabled?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
schumy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
This was exactly what I was wishing the scroll wheel would do.
I'm one of 'those' types that likes to change songs frequently until I find one I like. I also like keeping both hands on the wheel unless I'm shifting. Bummer.
It sounds like they still behave like the 2010 328 courtesy cars I would drive when my 135 was in for HPFP, injectors, and ignition problems so many times.

I work with computers and know it would almost be trivial to change this behavior in software, but I'm sure it's intentionally dumbed down to prevent any esoteric configurations becoming a problem.

I never thought I'd be the kind of person to hate technological advances in certain things such as cars, because all it does is become more annoying in how you "have to use it"

same here, i found the same major disappointment with the AMG, even Audi and VW have such basic function.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #16
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Agreed.

Going to my Toyota dealer and having them tell me I needed to give them $300 to insert a DVD that would update the maps on my native Prius nav system almost caused me a coffee spit as I laughed in the service manager's face. I pointed at my iPhone, showed him "Waze" and said no thanks.

I own a software company and always cringe at how far behind the auto industry lags the rapid pace of tech. They're often so far behind, they look like dunces.

-They spend immense amount of time on track testing chassis setup at Nurburgring, but often minimal time testing the user interaction with the computer-controlled stuff using real customers.

-The tech industry has to respond to changes/competition RIGHT NOW. Autos often take YEARS to design and by the time they are released they are based on yesterday's tech. Makes me laugh when you see a brand new, $100k+ sports machine that only interfaces with an iPhone 4 or earlier.

-Most car mfrs spend very little time on User Experience/User Interface. These should include knowing what the user will need access to, in what situations, what it should be called and the logical navigation schemes to get them there. Grab a shiny new "Nest" home thermostat or killer iOS app to see how cool today's car tech should be.

The smart mfrs are the ones that throw in the towel and provide you with a solid iOS or Droid interface and let you use a tablet with "Waze" for your navigation, which beats the crap out of any native navigation system by any car mfr. In fact a couple of limo drivers I know have mounted iPads to their dashes where they can use Waze for navigation, lookup customers names/addresses, pull up a wide variety of music playlists and even use Yelp to secure a dinner reservation. Why spend $2500 on a built-in navigation system when you can have a tablet that costs less, is more flexible and can be easily updated, removed, and backed up?

Tires aren't glued on to a car by the mfr. They let Michelin and Dunlop mfr them, who are better at making tires. Plus it lets the customer swap them out for something better later.

In the same way, car mfrs need to stop trying to DESIGN/EMBED technology and instead think about trying to INTERFACE with the folks that do it better than they do. Make it easy to swap out the tech. In a few years, Apple will turn things upside down:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Sadly, this won't be available on my new M235i due in just a few short weeks.

Appreciate 0