M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

04-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

M5 & F-type

Not sure if this counts as a verses or not, but just the new stable mate for the M5 at my house is a '14 F-type V8S, Ultimate Black, Tan Top, Tan Seats.

This is technically the wife's new ride, but she will 'let me' drive it. We picked it up Friday a week ago, went on our vacation, and put 2800 miles on it before we got home this past Sunday on a driving vacation of Florida.

I had to get the M5 out (by myself) last night to remind me that it is still fast. The sound on the Jag makes me pine for a different exhaust on the M5, but April 2014 is a bad month with Fed Taxes, Property Taxes, a Vacation, and now the new car all coming up as $$$ spend. Perhaps in the future.... enjoy the pics!

Name:  20140417_134758 - cropped - resized.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  396.7 KB

Name:  20140417_134829 - cropped - resized.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  796.4 KB

Name:  20140417_134841 - cropped - resized.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  664.9 KB

Let me know if anyone wants my opinion on how they compare.... yes they are completely different kinds of cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Beautiful. F-Type is my favorite Jag in a long time. I wish I could have the F-Type Coupe R. Pure Sex on wheels that thing.

Oh yeah, how to you like the transmission on the F-Type? 8-speed Auto right? Is it quick?

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Congratulations on such a classy purchase (biased as British, wot!). Your wife has impeccable taste.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Beautiful. F-Type is my favorite Jag in a long time. I wish I could have the F-Type Coupe R. Pure Sex on wheels that thing.

Oh yeah, how to you like the transmission on the F-Type? 8-speed Auto right? Is it quick?
It is surprisingly quick. The M5 DCT in Sport+ is probably faster, but it's negligible. It's definitely 'smoother' popping around town. Also, don't be fooled by that crazy EPA estimated mileage on the F-Type V8S. The british extra urban got it right. We saw 28 mpg (US) on the long highway runs at 75/80 mph. You could almost break 30 mpg going 50/55 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
Congratulations on such a classy purchase (biased as British, wot!). Your wife has impeccable taste.
Yes, I broke her heart when she couldn't have the 09' Aston V8V. Its was silvery metallic green with tan interior. But unfortunately, there wasn't enough room for my knees to slip between the wheel and the center console to drive it, and not enough for me to ride in the passenger side either. (Yes she would have bought it if I could *only* fit in the passenger side.) But, she is happy with her alternate selection after the week of driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Very nice! Congrats (to her-lol)

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

I am very interested in the F Type and I am dying to see the coupe in person. How is the throttle response with the supercharger compared to our turbos? Is the ride as smooth as the M5? What does your butt dyno tell you compared to the M? If the roadster is as fast or faster than the M5 then the coupe is going to be incredible with the extra power.

Congratulations! Great looking car.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

The F Type is very formidable looking in person, its a wide ass beast from the rear... I like it a lot and congrats.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Very nice. Say it in person and it looks hot.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Saw a guy in a new black one like that next to me stuck in highway traffic today. Had me looking for sure!

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 04:56 AM   #10
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
I am very interested in the F Type and I am dying to see the coupe in person. How is the throttle response with the supercharger compared to our turbos? Is the ride as smooth as the M5? What does your butt dyno tell you compared to the M? If the roadster is as fast or faster than the M5 then the coupe is going to be incredible with the extra power.

Congratulations! Great looking car.

After driving the Jag for a week and getting back in the M5, here are my mental notes:

• The <1500 rpm slump in the M5 feels more pronounced. The SC definitely feels more smooth during take off than the dual turbo setup on my M5.
  • Honestly, it feels every bit as fast as the M5 0-100. The audible experience I'm sure contributes to that effect, but it doesn't mean it isn't true. I have not performed any >100 mph tests, and don't have that on the agenda.
  • When I hopped back in the M5, the size (particularly the length and taller seating height) of the M5 was definitely at the for front of my mind. I drove it around with the windows down, exhaust valves open, on full tilt (MDM, S+, S+, S), and comforted myself that I still like my M5 and it's lear jet effect for speed as opposed to the pocket rocket I had gotten used to.
  • The most surprising thing for me was that the Jag's approach angle for pavement transitions (road -> parking lot // parking lot -> road) is better than the M5. I'm sure that is just the result of the wheels being close to the front, but it went into some places without scraping while we were on the Florida coast that I would have never taken the M5.
  • The "oooo what is that?" factor with people coming up to you is definitely higher in the Jag. I don't recall ever having that experience in the M5. The Jag was a "walk up and ask" at ever other stop on our vacation. Subtly can make you a little sad sometimes with the M5, but it also keeps the non-diehards from being the "oooo" people that approach you.
  • The interior in the M5 is far superior than the Jag. But having looked at many convertibles, I would say the Jag with the additional leather package is second only to the Aston Martins on the interior quality for a two seat convertible. Contrast stitching is there as part of the available options and you don't have to sell a couple of fingers for an "individual" discussion. The Maserati GT convertible has a very plush interior, but it is a 4 seater and the ergonomics on the center console just felt very dated and out of place. The Jag definitely has the technology feel we expected.
  • The ride in the Jag F-type V8S in the 'softest' setting feels more stiff than the M5 in comfort mode. Definitely closer to Sport suspension setting. When you are in "dynamic" mode on the Jag, it is about like Sport+. The body roll on the jag (regardless of mode) is far less than the M5. M5's body roll is only close to the Jag in Sport+. I say this with new tires on the M5 and relatively new tires on the Jag (PZeros). This is an important aspect, because the Michelins give you a less comfortable ride quality as they get closer wear (or at least that was my experience). The stiffer ride quality from the Jag may also be a result of how much shorter in length it is.
  • As wide as it is, when you park it in the garage next to the M5, it looks like you are missing part of the car. So for those that are wanting to reclaim some garage space the Jag is nice. Just remember those coupe doors take more space to open wide. If you are tall, you definitely need to reach the 2nd (middle) notch on the door in the swing to get in and out easily. M5 is more convenient in a parking lot situations.
  • There is nowhere to carry a moderate sized purse. Luggage-bag-size-purse wives need not apply. My wife is very efficient and small in her purse size even prior to the car purchase, and she had to downsize again to something that looks like a triple wallet with a strap. The only place to put a purse (other than the trunk which defeats her nirvana of leaving her car key in her purse) is in a center storage pocket in the back of the cockpit. At my feet in the passenger cabin is not an option (even in the M5 based on principal alone). This has a positive impact for those that do not wish to buy large items when on vacation or taking the Jag. Unfortunately, the M5 has plenty of space in the trunk and "purchases happen."

Last edited by johntomferg; 04-18-2014 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #11
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Nice review
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #12
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Thanks for taking the time for a comprehensive review. I think the luggage space issue will be helped by the coupe with its hatchback. There is a Jaguar dealership very close to where I live and as soon as the coupe comes in I'm going to take it for a drive. Chris Harris gave it a wonderful review, the only thing he said was lacking a little was the interior. As you said it is a bit of a downgrade from the M5. It's such a beautiful car that I think I could live with the interior. Chris Harris even admitted that part of the joy of driving it was knowing that it was so good looking. Plus with the extra horsepower it should be a very fast car. The power to weight will be very close to a Porsche Turbo (non S) - It might give it some competition from a roll...and for a lot less money.
Appreciate 0