E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Where to get Secondary Cat Delete?

04-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Where to get Secondary Cat Delete?

I know most shops wont do this because it's technically illegal, but has anyone had success, and know a reputable shop that will do this? Also, for anyone with secondary cat deletes, how do you get around the visual aspect of an inspection? Do you "know someone" or do the inspection shops not check out the secondary cats?

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Where are you located? Not quite sure where "The Zoo" is.

I think you're fine deleting the secondary's - in regard to inspection. Some of the 335i's don't even come with secondary cats, so I don't see how it could be an issue.

Side note:

If you go through with it, you may want to have a set of resonators handy. I believe that replacing them with a straight pipe provides an undesirable sound (rasp and drone). Most BMW drivers aren't into the rasp thing; that's more for the Honda guys. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but that's what I've read IIRC.

I've done the PE exhaust mod, and that's a pretty nice alternative.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Where are you located? Not quite sure where "The Zoo" is.

I think you're fine deleting the secondary's - in regard to inspection. Some of the 335i's don't even come with secondary cats, so I don't see how it could be an issue.

Side note:

If you go through with it, you may want to have a set of resonators handy. I believe that replacing them with a straight pipe provides an undesirable sound (rasp and drone). Most BMW drivers aren't into the rasp thing; that's more for the Honda guys. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but that's what I've read IIRC.

I've done the PE exhaust mod, and that's a pretty nice alternative.
haha I forgot I had that as my location; Im on Long Island. I want a little more "oopmh" out of my PE exhaust, and if need be Ill throw a resonator in. The only thing is NY cars are SUVLEV or whatever and Im pretty sure hacking out the emissions system is illegal..in NY because we love the earth

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emozoo View Post
haha I forgot I had that as my location; Im on Long Island. I want a little more "oopmh" out of my PE exhaust, and if need be Ill throw a resonator in. The only thing is NY cars are SUVLEV or whatever and Im pretty sure hacking out the emissions system is illegal..in NY because we love the earth
Right on, I used to go to school there (Stony Brook).

Ah, so you've already got a PE exhaust. Then yeah, I guess you could do that. Did you replace your downpipe yet? If that's a viable option for you, I'd do that before removing the secondaries. Pretty sweet gains with a catless downpipe, and awesome sound.

How often do you have to go through emissions? I registered my car in VT (WAY cheaper insurance), and have to have the car inspected every year, but I still did the catless downpipe. Worth it!

Tampering with emissions is always frowned upon, but that's all part of the game . That being said, a lot of 335's don't have secondaries, so I doubt that the inspector would know. On top of that, if you replace them with resonators, it would look like you still had them.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Right on, I used to go to school there (Stony Brook).

Ah, so you've already got a PE exhaust. Then yeah, I guess you could do that. Did you replace your downpipe yet? If that's a viable option for you, I'd do that before removing the secondaries. Pretty sweet gains with a catless downpipe, and awesome sound.

How often do you have to go through emissions? I registered my car in VT (WAY cheaper insurance), and have to have the car inspected every year, but I still did the catless downpipe. Worth it!

Tampering with emissions is always frowned upon, but that's all part of the game . That being said, a lot of 335's don't have secondaries, so I doubt that the inspector would know. On top of that, if you replace them with resonators, it would look like you still had them.
me too, Im a junior. Its like prison that you can leave from! ha , and unfortunately I have an NA engine, so I cant do the catless DP. I think Im just going chop them out, replace them with race pipes and hope for the best

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
Joe NYCALIVE
NYC ALIVE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I have Borla Secondary cat deletes on my e90 XI along with Catless Dp's

the only bad thing is i have to put my stock dp's back on and bring the car back to bmw for wastegate/turbo issues since i am still covered for that. i just don't know if i have to put my stock exhuast back on. has anyone else gone through this?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe NYCALIVE View Post

the only bad thing is i have to put my stock dp's back on and bring the car back to bmw for wastegate/turbo issues since i am still covered for that. i just don't know if i have to put my stock exhuast back on. has anyone else gone through this?
and you pass inspection? interesting

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Joe NYCALIVE
NYC ALIVE
United_States
Rep

not yet i am good until sept. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Joe NYCALIVE
NYC ALIVE
United_States
Rep

here is what mine exhuast sounds like

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Probably a good idea to swap back to the OEM downpipe for those types of dealership visits. For all other things, I leave all my mods on and the dealer doesn't say boo.

If you're referring to the catback, then I wouldn't bother. It wouldn't have any effect on your turbo - or really anything for that matter. The downpipe should still be swapped back to OEM.

Edit: If the dealer gives you shit about a catback, then it's probably time to start looking for a new dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
TheyCallMeNun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i

Sorry to say, you'll never pass inspection like with secondary car delete. I've seen people take a mustang hollow out cats and put them in so it would look liek there was something there. Even with the visual inspection pass, you won't pass emissions in your state like that. The catless Dp's you can buy a DP fix, BMS used to sell them, but California made them discontinue the product. I have a pair of straight pipes (from a local shop in NJ) attached to a BMW PE and an stock OEM system that I swap back and fourth for inspections. Good luck finding a shop.. call around you might catch a shop willing to bend you a set of straights.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
Joe NYCALIVE
NYC ALIVE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Probably a good idea to swap back to the OEM downpipe for those types of dealership visits. For all other things, I leave all my mods on and the dealer doesn't say boo.

If you're referring to the catback, then I wouldn't bother. It wouldn't have any effect on your turbo - or really anything for that matter. The downpipe should still be swapped back to OEM.

Edit: If the dealer gives you shit about a catback, then it's probably time to start looking for a new dealership.
thanks for the info. i was worried that i would have to put my stock exhuast back on.. that saves me a lot of time and money.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeNun View Post
Sorry to say, you'll never pass inspection like with secondary car delete. I've seen people take a mustang hollow out cats and put them in so it would look liek there was something there. Even with the visual inspection pass, you won't pass emissions in your state like that. The catless Dp's you can buy a DP fix, BMS used to sell them, but California made them discontinue the product. I have a pair of straight pipes (from a local shop in NJ) attached to a BMW PE and an stock OEM system that I swap back and fourth for inspections. Good luck finding a shop.. call around you might catch a shop willing to bend you a set of straights.
Why would he not pass with a secondary cat delete? A lot of 335's don't even come with secondary cats. The defining factor is the primary cat.

If those mustangs are hollowing-out the primary cat, of course they wouldn't pass emissions. Why would they think that retaining the appearance of a cat, would fool a machine that cannot see? If you are in fact referring to the primary cat, then it's completely irrelevant.

Edit: I kind of sound like a dick here ^, but that wasn't my intention.

Quote:
thanks for the info. i was worried that i would have to put my stock exhuast back on.. that saves me a lot of time and money.
No problem. You should definitely swap back to the OEM downpipe though - felt like I should reiterate that.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
Joe NYCALIVE
NYC ALIVE
United_States
Rep

lol yes i know. i just hope whatever dealer i go to is not going to give me a hard time about it. i was going to go back to life quality even though i have had nothing but problems there...smh....but i think i might go to the one in the city.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
lol yes i know. i just hope whatever dealer i go to is not going to give me a hard time about it. i was going to go back to life quality even though i have had nothing but problems there...smh....but i think i might go to the one in the city.
A smart dealership will not give you a hard time. If they do, you turn to another dealership; they lose money. If they work with you, you return for future business; they've solidified ongoing profits.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Well I think im going to get the race pipes and cut out the secondary cats and fix them with a clamp setup. Therefore I can switch them in and out easily before I need to go have my inspection, dealer visit ect

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #17
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I bought a stock exhaust from someone who had the secondary cats cut out and mandrel bent SS pipe welded in place. I have my primary CATs in place still. I live in NY state and have never had a problem passing NYS inspections. I believe for the new OBDII cars, they do not conduct the sniffer test here in NY. I'm not even sure they do a visual on the exhaust because its obvious that emmissions equipment on my exhaust was tampered with by the 2 SS pipes welded in place. I believe you could probably still pass with your primary cats taken out if your using the Open Flash Tablet and adjust parameters in Tuner Pro to clear any CELs. You might have a monitor "Not Ready" but I believe your allowed 2 monitors "Not Ready" in NYS and can still pass.
      04-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrazie1 View Post
I bought a stock exhaust from someone who had the secondary cats cut out and mandrel bent SS pipe welded in place. I have my primary CATs in place still. I live in NY state and have never had a problem passing NYS inspections. I believe for the new OBDII cars, they do not conduct the sniffer test here in NY. I'm not even sure they do a visual on the exhaust because its obvious that emmissions equipment on my exhaust was tampered with by the 2 SS pipes welded in place. I believe you could probably still pass with your primary cats taken out if your using the Open Flash Tablet and adjust parameters in Tuner Pro to clear any CELs. You might have a monitor "Not Ready" but I believe your allowed 2 monitors "Not Ready" in NYS and can still pass.
The answer I was looking for, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #19
TheyCallMeNun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i

Why would he not pass with a secondary cat delete? A lot of 335's don't even come with secondary cats. The defining factor is the primary cat.

If those mustangs are hollowing-out the primary cat, of course they wouldn't pass emissions. Why would they think that retaining the appearance of a cat, would fool a machine that cannot see? If you are in fact referring to the primary cat, then it's completely irrelevant.

Edit: I kind of sound like a dick here ^, but that wasn't my intention.

haha didn't seem dick-ish at all. New Jersey emissions standards is close to california's standards. We only check for emissions in NJ inspection and with secondary cat delete, I'd fail the inspection. Do your states not do visual inspections of your exhaust systems? NJ makes us drive over a camera while someone looks for exhaust modifications (ex. X pipe, cat deletes, ect.) That's why the mustangs hollow out cats and put them back in.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #20
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeNun View Post
haha didn't seem dick-ish at all. New Jersey emissions standards is close to california's standards. We only check for emissions in NJ inspection and with secondary cat delete, I'd fail the inspection. Do your states not do visual inspections of your exhaust systems? NJ makes us drive over a camera while someone looks for exhaust modifications (ex. X pipe, cat deletes, ect.) That's why the mustangs hollow out cats and put them back in.
California does not mess around with that stuff haha. I guess people there sacrifice the catless downpipes, but gain the ability to slam their car to the ground and keep it in pristine condition

I've never stayed while my car was being inspected, so I couldn't tell you about their visual inspections. What I can tell you, is that they are very serious about tinted windows hahaha. Asshole made me drive back, remove my own tint, and have it re-inspected.

I don't see how removing the secondary cat would be a problem, as half of the 335i's out there don't come with secondaries from the factory. If they're serious enough to look for welded straight pipes, then just pop a resonator in their place - which one would be likely to do anyway.
Appreciate 0