E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > maintenance recommendation on a recently used purchase 328i

04-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
tlegend
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Question maintenance recommendation on a recently used purchase 328i

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by tlegend; 06-18-2014 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
E93FTW
BMW Über Alles
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert'

Garage List
2010 E93  [10.00]
Hi and welcome! You should do all the Maintenance you mentioned. If its in red it means it's past due.
      04-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
techie182
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

I would flush all fluids including steering, brake, transfer, diff, transmission.
Also check brake pad

Get $10 bluetooth code reader

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use BMWhat to check and clear BMW codes(don't have to buy to read/clear)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Welcome and congrats on the car.

It's possible the previous owner had the car serviced but the shop they went to didn't reset the maintenance indicators. Either way, I agree, have the oil changed and the brake fluid flushed.

Also consider the following:
-Alignment
-Differential/transmission/power steering fluid flushes
-Brake pad/rotor inspection
-Suspension replacement (dampers/springs) - you're likely due for it unless the previous owner had it done within the last 50k miles

Edit: techie182 beat me by 2 minutes!
      04-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
tlegend
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie182 View Post
I would flush all fluids including steering, brake, transfer, diff, transmission.
Also check brake pad

thx you for the link, the bmwhat app is $50.00 on app store, and there is a lite version do i need the full version in order to clear codes?

by codes you mean clear service history lights or Check engine light, which i dont have any and i have a standard obd 2 checker in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
tlegend
Private
Rep

looks like there is a computer version also, i can get and hook up my laptop, getting ready to order this. Thx guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
techie182
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

According to description Lite will let you run diagnostic and clear code. But it won't let you code ECU. You need to buy and activate to code ECU.

TORQUE app showed 0 fault code but BMWhat showed 22 fault codes.

Got my bluetooth reader yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
tlegend
Private
Rep

i have a TPMS sensor that is bad also, i was going to Americas tire co to have them checked, i wonder can this reader tell me which side is bad?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Google Mike Miller BMW for a maintenance schedule.

Google Mike Miller BMW for a maintenance schedule.
This also has history of the schedule pre and post free
maintenance and some interesting observations.

If you want complete coding and diagnostic capability
see the coding boards

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

and bmwcoders.com
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

All of the above posts are good advice. The Mike Miller maintenance schedule is a bit of over kill IMO (my car has easily made it to 246K without it); I have followed BMW's E90 maintenance schedule; even the considered too-long oil change intervals. But that aside, you are on the right track to baseline the maintenance on the car so you know when to set the scheduled maintenance items by the mileage. Also, what you wrote about the -12,000 doesn't make sense for a brake flush service because brake flushes are required by date rather than mileage; the interval is every 24 months from the build date. Maybe what service was missed was the general inspection service interval that comes up every 30,000 miles (search "red car on lift" in maintenance section for more detail on it). It's good you have an OBDII code reader (a OBDII scan tool is better IMO), but get a good BMW code scan tool too. These cars throw a lot of BMW-specific codes that are not readable by the OBDII system; the water pump fail codes is once such example.

So some info on the basic maintenance schedule:

-Engine oil per CBS schedule. Most people cut it in half at 7,500 miles
-Plugs replace at 100,000 miles
-Engine air filter every 45,000 (every 3rd BMW OCI oil change)
-Coolant every 100,000
-Driveline oils every 100,000
-Power steering oil has no schedule but most DIY'ers replace it at some point (follow the drain method by removing one of the lines from the rack)
-Cabin air filter by the CBS notification (BMW dropped this notification starting MY 2009)
-Brakes as notified by the CBS (read up on how the brake wear system works - people screw it up all the time)
-Drive belt inspect for cracks and replace if found
-Fuel filter is built into the fuel pump located in the fuel tank and is not considered a scheduled maintenance item.
-Coolant hoses are pretty robust, I just replaced mine a few months ago at 236K and they all looked in good shape.

You can decide to shorten these intervals if you like; it's been debated here ad nausem. One I've added to my routine is cleaning and swapping the VANOS solenoids every 50,000 miles.

The stuff to expect to break around and after your car's mileage:
-Water Pump
-Thermostat (if yours is brown, then it was already replaced)
-Oil filter housing gasket
-possibly broken valve cover bolts and the "outside" head bolt near the oil filter housing (it doesn't affect the head gasket though)

I've owned and daily driven a 3 series for the past 26 years or so and do all my own maintenance and repair work.

Good luck with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
tlegend
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
All of the above posts are good advice. The Mike Miller maintenance schedule is a bit of over kill IMO (my car has easily made it to 246K without it); I have followed BMW's E90 maintenance schedule; even the considered too-long oil change intervals. But that aside, you are on the right track to baseline the maintenance on the car so you know when to set the scheduled maintenance items by the mileage. Also, what you wrote about the -12,000 doesn't make sense for a brake flush service because brake flushes are required by date rather than mileage; the interval is every 24 months from the build date. Maybe what service was missed was the general inspection service interval that comes up every 30,000 miles (search "red car on lift" in maintenance section for more detail on it). It's good you have an OBDII code reader (a OBDII scan tool is better IMO), but get a good BMW code scan tool too. These cars throw a lot of BMW-specific codes that are not readable by the OBDII system; the water pump fail codes is once such example.

So some info on the basic maintenance schedule:

-Engine oil per CBS schedule. Most people cut it in half at 7,500 miles
-Plugs replace at 100,000 miles
-Engine air filter every 45,000 (every 3rd BMW OCI oil change)
-Coolant every 100,000
-Driveline oils every 100,000
-Power steering oil has no schedule but most DIY'ers replace it at some point (follow the drain method by removing one of the lines from the rack)
-Cabin air filter by the CBS notification (BMW dropped this notification starting MY 2009)
-Brakes as notified by the CBS (read up on how the brake wear system works - people screw it up all the time)
-Drive belt inspect for cracks and replace if found
-Fuel filter is built into the fuel pump located in the fuel tank and is not considered a scheduled maintenance item.
-Coolant hoses are pretty robust, I just replaced mine a few months ago at 236K and they all looked in good shape.

You can decide to shorten these intervals if you like; it's been debated here ad nausem. One I've added to my routine is cleaning and swapping the VANOS solenoids every 50,000 miles.

The stuff to expect to break around and after your car's mileage:
-Water Pump
-Thermostat (if yours is brown, then it was already replaced)
-Oil filter housing gasket
-possibly broken valve cover bolts and the "outside" head bolt near the oil filter housing (it doesn't affect the head gasket though)

I've owned and daily driven a 3 series for the past 26 years or so and do all my own maintenance and repair work.

Good luck with the car.
thx you very helpful
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
tlegend
Private
Rep

So last weekend i did Spark plugs, cabin filter, engine air filter, and Oil change.

I replaced the spark plugs with NGK ones as recommended on the DIY, and oil with Mobil 1 0w40 european blend.

how do my old plugs look like?

i am at 109k when should i do Trani fluid? diff fluid? etc..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
rowingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 xi

Tranny and diff fluids suggested at 100,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie182 View Post
Also check brake pad

How do you clear the codes wtih BMWhat without paying the full version? I've attempted clearing them using the iphone version, but to no avail.
Appreciate 0