E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > SES Light Saga

04-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
bertsulli
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

SES Light Saga

Hey Guys,

I've been going though repeated SES light issues, so I thought I would post them here to vent and to see if you guys have any suggestions.

I bought a CPO'd 2011 335d last May with around 15k miles. In December, I started having issues with it not wanting to start. I took it in to the local BMW dealer right before Christmas to have the codes read, and they ended up replacing a faulty catalytic converter and doing an oil change. I mentioned to them that I was going to be driving to Chicago (about 800 miles) for Christmas, and didn't want to have any problems. They assured me it would be fine. The car had about 19k miles on it then.

I get to Chicago and the car starts throwing all sorts of lights, from the yellow limp mode to the SES. So I brought it into a Chicagoland dealer, and they ended up keeping it for a month. The SES light was due to low fuel pressure, and they ended up replacing the entire fuel system (high pressure pump, low pressure pump, inlet tube, regulator, sensor, etc). Ultimately they kept having problems with the SES light whenever the engine would hit 3k rpms. All told this service lasted from December 26th to January 21st.

Finally they claimed to have fixed it, and I had to ship it back to Denver on my own. The second time I drove it after it was returned by transport truck, the entire instrument cluster crashed, and the SES light returned. By crashed, I mean the display went dead, no turn signals, no lights, speedo and tach were frozen around 20mph, while the car still drove.

I again took it to the local dealer, and they ended up replacing the instrument cluster. This work was performed Feb 8th.

A couple weeks later, around Feb 21st the SES light returned. This time they replaced a NOX sensor, and DEF fluid valve.

Recently, the car started having intermittent hesitation issues while accelerating and died on my wife at a stop light and threw an SES light along with a brief period of limp mode. The car went back into the dealer on 3/31 and I got it back today. They replaced the fuel pressure regulator (again!) and test drove it 200 miles to see if it would fault. The reasoning being that I hadn't made it more than 200 miles between services.

Today they returned the car to me unwashed, and the fuel gauge was literally at 0. It was so low, that I was unable to make it home before hitting 6 miles to empty, and decided to walk the rest of the way home for fear of running the injectors dry.

At this point, I'm really frustrated and fed up. It's been to the dealer 5 times since late December. I've called BMWNA many times, and have recently asked for a buy back. No word on that yet. What do you guys think? Any way to get them to the real problem? All of these parts couldn't really have failed by 21k miles, right? Can a CPO qualify as a Lemon?

I can post the service records if you'd like the see them.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Lemon for sure man. Any sensible dealer would work with you and try to get you into another car with a more than fair buy back price.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

That's terrible, sorry to hear about your ordeal. To me this again proves that dealers out there are clueless. I would be pushing through BMWNA hierarchy to get to someone who can resolve your issues. Some folks out there were successful in getting in touch with BMWNA Engineering (not sure the exact titleage). May be others will be able to guide you better. Best of luck.

You may wish to post the details of your issues, codes thrown, etc. Some others may have had previous experiences as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
RallyeRalle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Sorry to hear about your nightmare... too bad you don't live close to Munich otherwise you could do what one of my uncles did about 20 years ago:

He had bought a really bad Mercedes which had all kinds of failures right from the beginning on... in today's measures certainly a lemon. Too bad for Mercedes that he was an aircraft engineer who had worked many years as lead engineer for MBB and Dornier. So he evaluated the build quality of the faulty engine and trim parts from a aircraft engineers perspective and marked all the car parts the he thought were constructed badly with a red round sticker dot.

He showed the car to all familiy members when we was ready with marking all the crappy parts... eventually, the car had red dots all over, really hillarious.

Next, he drove it to the front gate of the Mercedes main manufacturing plant at that time (Sindelfingen, Germany) and asked to speak to the management. He insisted that they take to car back and replace it with a new one.

And the best part is, they did replace it without much resistance... the story even made it into national newspapers.

I wish you all the best with your car... maybe it would help to drive it to your CPO dealer, have all the parts marked that have already been faulty and throw him the keys on the table and say that he should have a closer look at what gunk he sold to you. Clever vizualization can work wonders...

Last edited by RallyeRalle; 04-10-2014 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Damn amigo a DAMN LEMON!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Cant lemon. Not a new car
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
Cant lemon. Not a new car
+1. A buy back is your only option in getting rid of the dud. I've never heard of a 335d with so many various problems!
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertsulli View Post
Today they returned the car to me unwashed, and the fuel gauge was literally at 0. It was so low, that I was unable to make it home before hitting 6 miles to empty, and decided to walk the rest of the way home for fear of running the injectors dry.

I can post the service records if you'd like the see them.
Well, that situation sounds terrible, hope it works out. But, just a FYI -- you still have a gallon and a half of reserve fuel even at zero. If that happens again and it goes past zero, hit the trip odometer so you can tell how far you are driving because "miles to empty" stop counting and dont go into negative. I have taken my car around 35 highway miles past zero, but I dont recommend it. After which I went, picked up a diesel fuel can and put a few gallons of fuel in it before driving it off to the station.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

You can absolutely lemon a car even if it's not new. Friend of mine lawyers up on 5 year old 997 c4s and Porsche cut him a 17k check and they didn't even officially lemon the car so it still has a clean carfax .

You gotta lawyer up and then dealer listens

But my friends suit was against Porsche and not dealer and there was no money out of pocket so no risk for him
Appreciate 0